Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn World Sport rebuild finished

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 11-24-20, 11:00 AM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts

Finally finished my first time disassembling a bike and rebuilding it. My LBS helped me with removing the freewheel for cleaning and at the end of the rebuild they put the Cables on for me.

Likes For tpadul:
Old 11-24-20, 04:42 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I’m not a huge fan of the mixte frame BUT I must say that you’ve done a super sweet job of rebuilding that bike!!! Strong work.
Likes For sovende:
Old 11-24-20, 05:57 PM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Originally Posted by sovende
I’m not a huge fan of the mixte frame BUT I must say that you’ve done a super sweet job of rebuilding that bike!!! Strong work.
Thanks 😊 I am female though so for me being a 50 something female the ladies frames are perfect for me
Old 11-24-20, 06:45 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
i'm a guy and i like step through/mixte frames. i bought a bridgestone 300 for my wife years ago in "dynasty rose" color. she let me ride it after i finished putting it together (as my bike was down for repair). i had to admit how convenient it was for the top tube/s to be so low. since then, i've come to the opinion mixte frames make great if not ideal loaded touring frames precisely for the reason one doesn't need to lean the bike much to dismount...which is really nice if/when you have tens of pounds of gear loading it down

anyway, very nice build you got there, ma'am

ps. if you should find yourself mid ride occasionally having to push yourself back up on the saddle away from the handlebars, you might consider tilting the saddle nose up a bit more

Last edited by thook; 11-24-20 at 06:48 PM.
Likes For thook:
Old 11-24-20, 08:51 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
That looks great, With the new fenders, handlebars, seat, pedals and tires, I kind of lost track of the fact that you repainted the frame and applied decals. I was going to comment on how good the frame looked and then it hit me. You repainted it!

It looks like you polished the brake calipers. Did you or are they just in good shape? The rims also look like you spent a lot of time cleaning up.

Nice work.

It is perhaps coincidence, you have handlebars similar to my Schwinn World. The odd thing about these handlebars is that I tried some "W" shaped bars on my Schwinn Continental and don't really like them. These bars with just a rise are more comfortable for me.

Yours is a model level up from mine. I was surprised at how much I liked this bike. It is almost embarrassing to say this amongst bicycle enthusiasts, but I said it in print.

Next, how do you like the ride?

Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 11-24-20, 08:52 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
That's a very fine restoration job. You did good.
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 12-15-20, 03:55 PM
tpadul 

Originally Posted by thook
i'm a guy and i like step through/mixte frames. i bought a bridgestone 300 for my wife years ago in "dynasty rose" color. she let me ride it after i finished putting it together (as my bike was down for repair). i had to admit how convenient it was for the top tube/s to be so low. since then, i've come to the opinion mixte frames make great if not ideal loaded touring frames precisely for the reason one doesn't need to lean the bike much to dismount...which is really nice if/when you have tens of pounds of gear loading it down

anyway, very nice build you got there, ma'am

ps. if you should find yourself mid ride occasionally having to push yourself back up on the saddle away from the handlebars, you might consider tilting the saddle nose up a bit more
Thanks so much!! I still have to test out the bike but Yes the saddle might not be at the right angle, I'm a few weeks post surgery so I'll have to wait a while before I can test out the bike to see if the saddle needs adjusting
Old 12-15-20, 03:56 PM
tpadul 

Originally Posted by ramzilla
That's a very fine restoration job. You did good.
Thanks so much!! I'm very pleased with how it came out!! Can't wait for Spring to come so I can try it out.
Old 12-15-20, 03:59 PM
tpadul 

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
That looks great, With the new fenders, handlebars, seat, pedals and tires, I kind of lost track of the fact that you repainted the frame and applied decals. I was going to comment on how good the frame looked and then it hit me. You repainted it!

It looks like you polished the brake calipers. Did you or are they just in good shape? The rims also look like you spent a lot of time cleaning up.

Nice work.

It is perhaps coincidence, you have handlebars similar to my Schwinn World. The odd thing about these handlebars is that I tried some "W" shaped bars on my Schwinn Continental and don't really like them. These bars with just a rise are more comfortable for me.

Yours is a model level up from mine. I was surprised at how much I liked this bike. It is almost embarrassing to say this amongst bicycle enthusiasts, but I said it in print.

Next, how do you like the ride?

Thanks so much! I did polish the brake calipers and I spent a good amount of time on the rims too!! I have not been able to ride it yet to try it out, I just had surgery on November 23rd, and I still can't do much for several more weeks, can't lift anything more than 10 pounds until January 4th. So It looks like I'm going to have to wait till Spring to actually try it out, but if we get a mild winter here in Indiana I might be able to hop on it for a short spin around the block in January or February provided it's not freezing and we don't have a foot of snow on the ground. I've been off the forum too for a few weeks due to surgery and just came back to work yesterday. Really looking forward to Spring!!
Old 12-15-20, 05:02 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by tpadul
Thanks so much!! I'm very pleased with how it came out!! Can't wait for Spring to come so I can try it out.
You're welcome! I've been doing upright handlebar modifications on old drop bar bikes for many years. It's a great way to bring an old friend back to life. Check this one out. It's my latest upright conversion. Be good. Have fun.

Likes For ramzilla:
Old 12-15-20, 06:01 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
These lower model bikes make great upright bar conversions. I haven't seen 52telecaster post any of his bikes lately, He had some upright bar conversions that were inspirational. He also tended to start with mid model range frames. It is great to see these Schwinn Worlds and Caliente back on the road.

tpadul , rest up for spring. I know it will be hard not to ride a bike that looks so nice.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 12-15-20, 06:08 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
You done good! If they allow it here, you might want to give a shout out to your LBS for their help, but you did it girl!
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 12-15-20, 06:11 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
I’m not a huge fan of the mixte frame...
Not all step-thru frames are mixte.

Old 12-16-20, 06:10 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,184 Times in 961 Posts
Bravo! Beautiful work! Well done!

Can you post a closeup picture of the fenders? Are they copper colored? Or is it my poor color acuity? I've never seen copper fenders, and can you share where you sourced them?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 12-16-20, 07:17 AM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 64 Posts
Nice bike and good job!
I built one of those up last year, red 1981, and really enjoyed riding it.
it is now in LA with racks and panniers and serving as my daughter’s main form of transportation. She enjoys it daily.
My son also prefers step through frames and his main bike is a blue schwinn collegiate step through. He also prefers single speed and coaster brakes so that’s how we built it up.
tours is beautiful, hopefully you will feel better soon and have a warm January to get it rolling.
Likes For Swampthing:
Old 12-16-20, 11:35 AM
tpadul 

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh

Can you post a closeup picture of the fenders? Are they copper colored? Or is it my poor color acuity? I've never seen copper fenders, and can you share where you sourced them?
Thanks!! The fenders are copper color, but not solid copper, and I bought them from Handsome Cycles in Minneapolis, Handsome Cycles has been making their own bikes since 2008, its an awesome small business and I just bought one of their new bikes yesterday, I bought an 8 speed She Devil from them in a Matte Anthracite Color with black parts and ordered it with the Copper colored hammered fenders. Here is the link to Handsome Cycles, they actually have a sale on the Fenders now, as well as their bikes until December 18th.

https://handsomecycles.com/collectio...s-fender-parts
Old 12-16-20, 11:37 AM
tpadul 

Originally Posted by Bigbus
You done good! If they allow it here, you might want to give a shout out to your LBS for their help, but you did it girl!
Thanks so much!! My LBS is Bike Stop Cycling in Michigan City, Indiana!! They are amazing, they did the new cables for me and helped me with the freewheel

https://www.bikestopcycling.com/arti...t-us-pg109.htm
Likes For tpadul:
Old 12-16-20, 11:40 AM
tpadul 

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh

Here are a few photos of the fenders close up

Old 12-16-20, 11:43 AM
tpadul 

Originally Posted by ramzilla
You're welcome! I've been doing upright handlebar modifications on old drop bar bikes for many years. It's a great way to bring an old friend back to life. Check this one out. It's my latest upright conversion. Be good. Have fun.

That looks Great!!!! As I am getting older I just don't like the downward riding position of the drop bars, and I probably won't be doing long distance riding at anytime in the near future so most of the newer vintage bikes I have acquired the past couple of months will probably be converted to all upright bars, I might keep one or two bikes with the drop bars.
Old 12-16-20, 11:44 AM
tpadul 

Originally Posted by Swampthing
Nice bike and good job!
I built one of those up last year, red 1981, and really enjoyed riding it.
it is now in LA with racks and panniers and serving as my daughter’s main form of transportation. She enjoys it daily.
My son also prefers step through frames and his main bike is a blue schwinn collegiate step through. He also prefers single speed and coaster brakes so that’s how we built it up.
tours is beautiful, hopefully you will feel better soon and have a warm January to get it rolling.
Thanks!!! I'm hoping for a warmer January so I can at least take the bike out once or twice around the neighborhood and try it out.