Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

When YOU are the Motorist

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-18, 01:33 PM
Dchiefransom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
I like to go the extra cautious step of "looking twice."

Whenever I am about to make a lane change or RTOR, or even leave a stop sign, I take a second look. It just takes a second more... but it means my decision is not based on that "quick glance" that can lead to folks being hidden behind pillars, or really being closer than I thought...

Try it, make a new safe habit today to always take a second look.
That usually serves a double purpose, making sure the road is actually clear and helping the driver behind you conduct a horn test.
Old 06-07-18, 04:08 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
That usually serves a double purpose, making sure the road is actually clear and helping the driver behind you conduct a horn test.
Rarely do I get a horn test... very rarely. I get far far more honks while on my bike than in my car.
Old 06-08-18, 07:08 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Equinox
I am a very cautious motorist and I take driving safety very seriously. But, like everyone who has driven as long as I have, I've had some "close calls" where I thought I could have been better in retrospect…

I also had an incident once where I didn't see a road cyclist because he was obscured by my pillar. It made me realize what a small profile cyclists present, and now I always double check that pillar.

Have you had any incidents that you're not quite proud of?
As a cyclist, I always look particularly hard for cyclists, making me a more cautious driver than usual, especially in Boston.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Are most avid/experienced cyclists knowledgeable of laws, safety practices?

As a native of the Motor City, with an excellent driver’s ed in high school, a good driving record,
especially in Boston (link) for decades, I consider myself well versed.
I agree that viewing rearward on the right side is one of the most hazard-fraught manuevers.My worst transgression(s) have been since a bike lane was positioned in front of our condo, outside the parking lane. At the beginninng I was lax to look for oncoming cyclists, but no incidents.
Originally Posted by genec
I like to go the extra cautious step of "looking twice."

Whenever I am about to make a lane change or RTOR, or even leave a stop sign, I take a second look. It just takes a second more... but it means my decision is not based on that "quick glance" that can lead to folks being hidden behind pillars, or really being closer than I thought...

Try it, make a new safe habit today to always take a second look.
I have perennially posted: …
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Over the past few months I have come to realize that my safety aphorisms, collected over the years by personal or vicarious experience, are my way of actively aligning the stars in my favor, to anticipate those unseen and otherwise unanticipated dangers.

FWIW, for my own information at least [to include]:…

You don’t have the right-of-way until the other yields it to you (learned from my teacher in driver’s ed)...

Those are all I remember for now, and they all pop-up in my mind as I encounter the situation.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-08-18 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-11-18, 09:09 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Jim is right, you can't TAKE the right of way, it is granted to you. Knowing when you have received it is also very important and then recognizing when to yield when another has not recognized that.
Old 06-12-18, 02:18 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
As a former MSF Instructor I can tell you that the car coming toward you and turning left is the classic deadly accident.
Old 06-12-18, 08:26 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
As a former MSF Instructor I can tell you that the car coming toward you and turning left is the classic deadly accident.
I took that course, and one from the CA CHIPs... They both emphasized that motorcycles are invisible to motorists... especially in the scenario described... bicycles are even more invisible... They appear to be moving slower than they really are.
Old 06-12-18, 09:38 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
And if they do, so what? It means that they are impatient, not that anything unsafe was done. Safety first. Impatient driver sensibilities is way down on the list.