Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

It could be worse...... I could be in a spin class

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 02-26-20, 10:48 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts

commuting this morning straight into a 20 mph wind, gusting to 25 mph, at my 12 o'clock, driving the falling snow right into my face, on an unplowed/unsalted MUP with ~1.5" of heavy, wet snow, i was asking myself "why do i do this to myself?"

then a thought occurred to me, and all of my self-pity immediately evaporated. it could be so much worse. i could be stuck in some disgusting clammy hot-house spin studio with some obnoxious instructor barking out orders.

yeah, it was cold. yeah, the wind and snow combined for some extremely slow-going (i was 15 minutes late to work). yeah, my co-workers all think i have some screws loose for riding in conditions like this morning.

but i was out there, riding my bike, in the elements (as challenging as they were), just as god intended!!!

to those that enjoy spin classes/indoor cycling, more power to you. i tried it once.......... that was enough. definitely not my cup of tea.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 02-26-20 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-26-20, 11:32 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I did the opposite of spinning on my commute today!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-26-20, 12:51 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
The "spinsters" may have a young, charasmatic instructor shouting positive encouragement at them...but you have Zeus, the god of weather, blustering at full fury in your face, daring and defying you to proceed against his winter wishes, throwing down endless frozen roadblocks, continually ratcheting up the degree of difficulty while dropping the degree of temperature, as the incessant howling hounds of traffic surround you in a constant dark din of danger and peril. It's a death-defying, blood-warming, life-affirming, breath-stealing experience you won't get on a trainer, no matter how lovely the leotard.

On the other hand, I don't have the personal discipline to spin. I bike to work and back because once I start the ride I can't stop 'til I get to work or home.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 02-26-20, 04:26 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Some days, I wonder why I'm riding and not driving.

However, since I work on a military base, and the wait to get through the gate is ~40 mins, I remember why I ride as I'm passing by all those cars stuck in line. My total commute time is ~30 mins.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 02-26-20, 05:04 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
LOL. But how do you get that image out of your head?
Old 02-26-20, 05:46 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Never taken a spin class, but I could imagine it might be fun, not unlike other group fitness classes. Riding in the elements, while can be invigorating, can get tiresome, especially during this time of year. We'll about to be walloped by a major snow storm for tonight and tomorrow morning, so as much as I relish the challenge of overcoming the elements, I am, sadly, going to have to take my car on the commute tomorrow. Riding on 15 cm of freshly fallen snow is next to impossible. I'm not looking forward to driving either.
Old 02-26-20, 09:00 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I took a spin class for the only time about ten years ago and my calf decided it was a horse about seven minutes before the end. It's no joke...
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-26-20, 09:24 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I took a spin class for the only time about ten years ago and my calf decided it was a horse about seven minutes before the end. It's no joke...
It is a joke because it is indoors and boring, not because of its workout intensity.
Old 02-27-20, 07:47 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
It is a joke because it is indoors and boring, not because of its workout intensity.
They get upset with me when I refer to them as spandex hamsters.

Marc
Old 02-27-20, 01:06 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
I don't care much for exercise in a gym, spinning least of all. My commute was cold and windy, yet I still enjoyed it. Being out in the elements, even when they are cruel, makes me feel alive and grateful.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 03-03-20, 10:12 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
+1, OP.

Indoor biking and indoor exercise is not for me.

Bikes want to be free/they are outdoor toys!
Old 03-03-20, 10:13 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

I laugh at the Peloton ads where people get up early to get in a quick "ride" before work. I laugh because I imagine these same people sitting in commuting traffic between their suburban homes and workplaces.

Why not just get up and ride in and be more fit and less stressed out?
Likes For davei1980:
Old 03-03-20, 12:35 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
I laugh at the Peloton ads where people get up early to get in a quick "ride" before work. I laugh because I imagine these same people sitting in commuting traffic between their suburban homes and workplaces.

Why not just get up and ride in and be more fit and less stressed out?
Bike commuting is not for everyone, and it's not a virtue in itself. Not everyone has a safe route of manageable or worthwhile distance. Even if they do, not everyone wants to arrive at work sweaty or risk getting squished. If you are on a machine you can still be "on call" if your kids get up early or the job wants you to come in early.

Fitness, also, has a couple of purposes. One of them, the one we here would probably agree is virtuous, is keeping you able to do more and stay alive longer. But the other (the one Peloton and any other exercise machine markets to) is to be more attractive - and that's a virtue too, though we treat it as a shallower one as though it doesn't take work.

Women, in addition, usually have to do makeup and hair... but not at work. So it's at home or in the car, and then they need it to survive to the desk.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-03-20, 01:06 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Bike commuting is not for everyone, and it's not a virtue in itself. Not everyone has a safe route of manageable or worthwhile distance. Even if they do, not everyone wants to arrive at work sweaty or risk getting squished. If you are on a machine you can still be "on call" if your kids get up early or the job wants you to come in early.

Fitness, also, has a couple of purposes. One of them, the one we here would probably agree is virtuous, is keeping you able to do more and stay alive longer. But the other (the one Peloton and any other exercise machine markets to) is to be more attractive - and that's a virtue too, though we treat it as a shallower one as though it doesn't take work.

Women, in addition, usually have to do makeup and hair... but not at work. So it's at home or in the car, and then they need it to survive to the desk.
That's really true, I hadn't fully considered that paradigm prior to my remarks.

I HAVE; however, been thinking a lot lately of the entrenched systemic inequities which prevent many women from bicycle commuting, a few of which you touch on here. That's a thread for a different forum but we should all be thoughtful about those barriers and how we can help take them down by supporting child care reform and other systemic shifts.
Old 03-03-20, 05:38 PM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 80 Posts
I have ridden in winds gusting to 25 mph but tomorrow in my area they are predicting winds gusts up to 45 mph. I can do the 20 to 25 but I am rethinking the ride tomorrow the weather is otherwise the temp about 40 f degrees. I have no problem with the temps it is just the winds. Do any of you ride in gusts to 45? Just wondering.
Old 03-06-20, 08:36 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
to quote a cpl former neighbors that spoke little English "you are hero". giggle came up w/ a cpl vids, 2 I know, 1 I don't, maybe you'll enjoy 1 of them? you deserve a reward today

Old 03-06-20, 08:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
you have Zeus, the god of weather, blustering at full fury in your face, daring and defying you to proceed against his winter wishes, throwing down endless frozen roadblocks, continually ratcheting up the degree of difficulty while dropping the degree of temperature, as the incessant howling hounds of traffic surround you in a constant dark din of danger and peril. It's a death-defying, blood-warming, life-affirming, breath-stealing experience
wow, right on man! quote of the year!
Old 03-24-20, 05:57 AM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by essiemyra
I have ridden in winds gusting to 25 mph but tomorrow in my area they are predicting winds gusts up to 45 mph. I can do the 20 to 25 but I am rethinking the ride tomorrow the weather is otherwise the temp about 40 f degrees. I have no problem with the temps it is just the winds. Do any of you ride in gusts to 45? Just wondering.
My cap is 50mph as that’s when tree branches start flying. My bibs and jackets are wind proof, insulative, and rain resistant, but not tree resistant.

I do enjoy the fast headwinds when I leave early enough to get through them to work on time. Likewise with wet snow up to six inches deep or powder up to nine inches, or straight ice under my slushcutter slicks- it’s a fun challenge.
Old 03-31-20, 01:06 PM
PollyS8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I don't care much for exercise in a gym, spinning least of all. My commute was cold and windy, yet I still enjoyed it. Being out in the elements, even when they are cruel, makes me feel alive and grateful.
Same stuff. It seems realy great.