Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Use a Triple crank to make an Adventure Double

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-25-20, 01:15 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts

I’d like to have a smaller-than-34 inner ring for my road bike, but the Adventure Double cranks that I generally see on the market either don’t fall in my price range, or don’t match the retro-mod look I’m going for right now. But I see some nice square-taper triples on eBay for reasonable prices; is there any reason I couldn’t just take a triple with a 30 or 28 inner ring, put a 44 or 46 in the middle ring slot, and just have no ring on the outer?

Obvious concerns; chain line. When I used to have a triple before, I’d never go into 42x12 to avoid cross-chaining. But now 46x12 will be my highest gear, in the exact same alignment.

Spinning out more; obviously I’d get an 11t cassette next upgrade, and I’ll never top out 46-12 on the flat anyway, but I feel like I’d still be a little undergeared. Don’t take away my 16, though.

Road double derailleur; can it shift into the inner of a triple?

Pros; I feel like I’d just leave it in the 46 most of the time and only use the 30 as a bailout. If I find an ISO triple, I can use my current Chorus BB.

Last edited by Leinster; 05-25-20 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-25-20, 03:28 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
If you remove the outer chainring and either cut down the mounting bolts or get shorter ones you can then lower a derailleur for double chainrings and have it work. Some people remove the outer chainring and replace it with a pant leg guard.

A lot of 10-sped bikes used to come with a high gear of 52-14 which is @100.4 gear inches.
46-11 is @112.9 gear inches
46-12 is @103.5 gear inches
46-13 is @ 95.5 gear inches

Are you really going to spin out many times in any of those three gear combinations?

You should be able to use all the rear cogs when you're on the middle chainring.

Cheers
Old 05-25-20, 06:34 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Thanks! Yeah, I have the short chainring bolts from a previous build, so no problem on that score.

I’ve found myself undergeared in 53x14 before, but only when going down the same hills that I want the 30x29 for going up. But you are right, it’s a vanishingly small amount of my riding, so the 46 should cover most bases.
Old 05-25-20, 09:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
With regard to chainline, just spend $15 and buy a different bottom bracket.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tange-Ln-39...FH4MpzAc8nw7-g
Old 05-25-20, 10:07 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
One popular way to do it is to replace the big ring with a chain guard. Rivendell and others sell "triple" cranks configured this way:

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 05-25-20, 10:13 PM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Check the frame clearance - a 44-46T in the middle slot might touch the chainstay.
Old 05-25-20, 10:14 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Also check out Raceface Tab Shims. They're for MTB cranksets, so they come in packs of 4, but you could use an old 104/64 BCD triple.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod117551
Old 05-29-20, 06:24 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
I recently performed a similar conversion on a 2001 Specialized Sirius. The bike began with a 52-42-30 triple and 12-25 9 speed cassette. I replaced the middle and inner chainrings with 39-24. I will install the appropriately sized bash guard from https://bbgbashguard.com/ in the outer position when it arrives in the mail.
The old cassette was removed and an 11-32 9 speed cassette was installed.
I lowered the front derailleur as much as I could without interfering with the lower seat tube bottle cage braze-on, and tightened the outer limit screw to prevent the derailleur from moving into the outer position. Finally, a Wolftooth Roadlink (https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink) was installed to give the rear derailleur clearance for the
32t cog. The 105 long cage derailleur just barely has the capacity to handle the entire range.

In theory, this probably should not work perfectly, but it seems to work just fine even without the bash guard installed. The chain rubs on the larger ring when in the 24:11 position, but this isn’t a ratio one should be using anyway. However I think I could solve this problem with a longer bottom bracket spindle.

My son is planning to ride this on a mountainous road/gravel tour this summer. The original configuration had too many high gears and not nearly low enough gears. Now he has a range of 97-20.5 gear inches.

This photo was taken before installation of the bashguard. Obviously some swapping of shorter chainring bolts was needed to get the pictured configuration to work.
I can update the photo when the bashguard arrives.

Last edited by mihlbach; 05-29-20 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-29-20, 06:51 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
I recently performed a similar conversion on a 2001 Specialized Sirius. The bike began with a 52-42-30 triple and 12-25 9 speed cassette. I replaced the middle and inner chainrings with 39-24. I will install the appropriately sized bash guard from https://bbgbashguard.com/ in the outer position when it arrives in the mail.
The old cassette was removed and an 11-32 9 speed cassette was installed.
I lowered the front derailleur as much as I could without interfering with the lower seat tube bottle cage braze-on, and tightened the outer limit screw to prevent the derailleur from moving into the outer position. Finally, a Wolftooth Roadlink (https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink) was installed to give the rear derailleur clearance for the
32t cog. The 105 long cage derailleur just barely has the capacity to handle the entire range.

In theory, this probably should not work perfectly, but it seems to work just fine even without the bash guard installed. The chain rubs on the larger ring when in the 24:11 position, but this isn’t a ratio one should be using anyway. However I think I could solve this problem with a longer bottom bracket spindle.

My son is planning to ride this on a mountainous road/gravel tour this summer. The original configuration had too many high gears and not nearly low enough gears. Now he has a range of 97-20.5 gear inches.

This photo was taken before installation of the bashguard. Obviously some swapping of shorter chainring bolts was needed to get the pictured configuration to work.
I can update the photo when the bashguard arrives.

^ perfect. I love everything about this. Would ride.