Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any epic ideas for 3 to 4 day ride from one location?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-20, 11:46 AM
Froomewannabe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Any ideas for multi-day road ride from one location (say within 500/650 miles of Little Rock, AR)? Not sure if I'm phrasing that right, but what I would like to do is stay in one hotel in one spot and bike in a couple direction and get some nice and varying scenery.
Old 07-17-20, 12:18 PM
vandalarchitect
Vandalized since 2002

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong but it sounds like your looking for “hub and spoke” ride/tour ideas. Basically your hotel is the “hub,” and there are multiple riding options that are the “spokes.”
Likes For vandalarchitect:
Old 07-17-20, 01:35 PM
Froomewannabe

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vandalarchitect
Correct me if I’m wrong but it sounds like your looking for “hub and spoke” ride/tour ideas. Basically your hotel is the “hub,” and there are multiple riding options that are the “spokes.”
Yes that is what I'm wanting to do. Great description, didn't know if there was a technical name for it. Also, not especially looking for tons of climbing as this is something with my wife who doesn't particular enjoy hills, but we can get through some. Love to me able to wake up, go ride 1.5 - 2.5 hours after breakfast and then spend the rest of the day lolly gagging about and do whatever in the area and repeat the next day and take in some sights. Been cycling 3 years and I'm hooked. But still a little intimidated when you don't know how "bike friendly" a city/community is. Thanks
Old 07-17-20, 01:43 PM
vandalarchitect
Vandalized since 2002

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I don’t really have any specific route or hub ideas for you, but I’d recommend reaching out to some local shops wherever you’re thinking about going. It can be hit or miss, but you can usually find someone to give at least a basic lay of the land and what routes might be appropriate for what you’re looking for. Many times you’ll get really good information. Let them know if you want mostly trails and paths or if you’re ok with roads and traffic.

I've also found the regional forums here on BF to be helpful for route ideas.

If you have access you can also check out the heat map thing in Strava and use that to help guide route selection or creation. Don't forget Google street view as well to give you an idea of road surface and shoulder width, etc.
Likes For vandalarchitect: