Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

car to buy / avoid (Golf/GTI/Mini) ?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-19-20, 12:24 PM
expatCanuck

Bikes: '91 Aquila Pavé, '06 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Greetings -

We're looking to replace our 2014 CX-5 with something smaller. Current candidates include the VW Golf (2016-18), VW GTI (2016-19) or a Cooper S 4-door (2016-19).

I'm wondering if any folks here have successfully hauled 2 bikes with these vehicles -- particularly if they've used a hitch-mount carrier. Or, alternatively, have horror stories to recount.

Any & all insight welcome.

Thanks kindly.
Old 09-19-20, 12:27 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Too bad the USA doesn't get the Golf Sportwagon. I can fit 2 bikes inside easily
Old 09-19-20, 12:42 PM
Skulking

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Too bad the USA doesn't get the Golf Sportwagon. I can fit 2 bikes inside easily
The US does get the Golf Sportwagen. For a while it was branded as the Jetta Sportwagen, but it has been sold in the US as the Golf Sportwagen since 2015.
Old 09-19-20, 01:20 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Subaru Impreza 5 door. My son got one for $22k out the door and 0%
Old 09-19-20, 03:31 PM
expatCanuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tried an Impreza ~4 years ago. I'm only 5'11", but have a disproportionately long torso, and it didn't have enough headroom.

I will double-check the specs, tho'. We drove a standard '99 Forester for almost a decade -- loved that car.
Old 09-19-20, 04:00 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by expatCanuck
Tried an Impreza ~4 years ago. I'm only 5'11", but have a disproportionately long torso, and it didn't have enough headroom.
My son is 6'4" and fits. I'm 5'11" and had a 4 door.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-19-20, 05:37 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
i can’t be of much help I haven’t driven a car in three years but if need to know about the NYC subways reach out!
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 09-19-20, 05:58 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
My Ford Focus ST and my current Fiesta ST are awesome for my purposes. Unfortunately Ford no longer makes them so it would have to be used.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 09-19-20, 09:14 PM
Hank195

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I had a 2 door MINI for 17 years and 240,000 miles. I was very happy with the car but it did require a good bit maintenance. Fortunately I was able to do most of the work myself (including replacing all the bearings in manual transmission) which kept the cost under control. Normally carried one bike inside and both wheels had to be removed. Also had a hatch rack but wasn’t overly fond of it. Hitch installation on the car was problematic due to the exhaust system.
I looked at newer MINIs for a replacement but did not care for the interior look and they didn’t seem all that comfortable (but I’m a tall old guy). After looking a number of choices l got a GTI; now almost 2 years still very pleased with the car. It’s a blast to drive and will do just over 40 mpg on the highway. Two bikes can fit inside with blankets and front wheel removal. I added a Stealth Eco hitch which has an easily removable receiver so you can’t see the hitch when it’s not in use. For a rack I went with a Thule Helium 3. The setup has been very solid and trouble free, frequently carrying 2 bikes. The Thule rack is light weight and reasonably compact to store. I considered the platform type racks (Oneup and others) but their price and overall size seemed like a lot to have to deal with.
Good luck with your choice
Likes For Hank195:
Old 09-20-20, 05:25 AM
expatCanuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
My Ford Focus ST and my current Fiesta ST are awesome for my purposes. Unfortunately Ford no longer makes them so it would have to be used.
Thanks for the input. Used is fine. I'm considering 2017 onwards.
Old 09-20-20, 05:29 AM
expatCanuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hank195
I had a 2 door MINI for 17 years and 240,000 miles. I was very happy with the car but it did require a good bit maintenance. Fortunately I was able to do most of the work myself (including replacing all the bearings in manual transmission) which kept the cost under control. Normally carried one bike inside and both wheels had to be removed. Also had a hatch rack but wasn’t overly fond of it. Hitch installation on the car was problematic due to the exhaust system.
I looked at newer MINIs for a replacement but did not care for the interior look and they didn’t seem all that comfortable (but I’m a tall old guy). After looking a number of choices l got a GTI; now almost 2 years still very pleased with the car. It’s a blast to drive and will do just over 40 mpg on the highway. Two bikes can fit inside with blankets and front wheel removal. I added a Stealth Eco hitch which has an easily removable receiver so you can’t see the hitch when it’s not in use. For a rack I went with a Thule Helium 3. The setup has been very solid and trouble free, frequently carrying 2 bikes. The Thule rack is light weight and reasonably compact to store. I considered the platform type racks (Oneup and others) but their price and overall size seemed like a lot to have to deal with.
Good luck with your choice
Thanks, Hank. What year GTI?

I've encountered the EcoHitch in my research. Big fan of the no-drill install.
Old 09-20-20, 06:10 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Thanks for the input. Used is fine. I'm considering 2017 onwards.
I had a 2014 Focus ST and could get two road bikes in the back with front wheels off. I now have a 2016 Fiesta ST. I've put one bike in the back but I generally use a Saris rack to transport two bikes. FWIW either ST comes only with a manual transmission. If you're into cars at all, both cars are quick and handle really well. My Fiesta ST also gets around 30 mpg in general driving. The Focus (255 hp) is faster than the Fiesta (198 hp). But, the Fiesta is a better balanced car for real world driving. The Focus has more hatch space. Both have been trouble free. Good luck in your search for the right car.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 09-20-20, 07:28 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Best car I have owned. '81 Mercedes 240D with a 4 sp maunual trans. Rock solid. 30mpg. You can find high mileage drivers for $2000, stellar low mile examples at $5000. Cast iron engine will do a million miles.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 09-20-20, 07:47 AM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts

I have a GTI with a One-Up USA rack and I’m happy with the setup. I can also fit my road or gravel bike inside with the seats folded down.
Likes For sarhog:
Old 09-20-20, 11:53 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,257 Times in 2,936 Posts

I will double-check the specs, tho'. We drove a standard '99 Forester for almost a decade -- loved that car.
Auto manufacturers should publish the stack and reach of their cars.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-20-20, 01:38 PM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Best car I have owned. '81 Mercedes 240D with a 4 sp maunual trans. Rock solid. 30mpg. You can find high mileage drivers for $2000, stellar low mile examples at $5000. Cast iron engine will do a million miles.
When stuff was made of metal and by people. 👍 SAABs and Volvos from that era are also great. Is that tranny on the floor or column?
Old 09-20-20, 02:09 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
If you want something smaller, I drive the Mazda 3 hatchback and have a Kuat trailer on the back. I can afford a more expensive car, but I'm really happy with my Mazda. It's reliable, comfortable and relatively fun to drive. I'd think twice about purchasing a Mini or a VW. Everyone I know who has had a VW, including me was happy with it for about 2-3 years, then many problems start with the cars. For me, it is important for a car to be reliable; when I turn the key, I want it to get me where I'm going. As far as the Mini, I haven't researched them recently, but I've heard good and bad. I've had my Mazda 3 for seven years now with no problems.

Good luck with whatever you purchase.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 09-20-20, 02:28 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,268 Posts
I bought the first Mini Cooper S in Ventura County. I knew one of the test engineers and actually got to tour the test facility in Port Hueneme. I drove it for a couple of years and decided I wanted a convertible with the JCW upgrade. I got nearly what I paid for the first one so I was happy. The 2006 convertible was the last year for the supercharger and the JCW did not disappoint until the ac went out... three or four times! Then they replaced the top for some cracking in the rubber piece above the door( like an anti drip trim). When the car got to about50k miles I was getting on the freeway and when I accelerated the clutch started slipping! I never abused the car in a way that would put unusual load on the clutch.The dealer wanted somewhere around $4000 to fix and clutches are not covered by warranty. I found an independent guy that the mini maniacs club used and paid $2200 including all new bushings in the front end. I will never buy another one. They are a lot of fun to drive but expensive to maintain , and they need a lot. The newer larger Mini’s don’t look that good to me anyway, too big. It’ called a Mini !
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 09-20-20, 04:01 PM
Batstar

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
When stuff was made of metal and by people. 👍 SAABs and Volvos from that era are also great.
Wagons rule. I'm partial to Volvos having owned three of them over the years. The V60 CC is a nice ride and would make a great bike hauler.

Likes For Batstar:
Old 09-20-20, 05:35 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Reliability is number one in my book. Owned and operated all of them and hands down Toyota and Volvo 240 are the best I have had experience with. Mini's are fun as heck to drive, but will empty your wallet in a hurry once out of warranty. VW is a bit better, but still not low on the maintenance side to keep me in the fold. The wagons are really nice though, and will hold a couple of bikes if loaded properly.
Old 09-21-20, 08:05 AM
Univega

Bikes: Univega Modo Volare (2001)

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Reliability is number one in my book. Owned and operated all of them and hands down Toyota and Volvo 240 are the best I have had experience with. Mini's are fun as heck to drive, but will empty your wallet in a hurry once out of warranty. VW is a bit better, but still not low on the maintenance side to keep me in the fold. The wagons are really nice though, and will hold a couple of bikes if loaded properly.
Had a Mini and agree 100%. One of the most problematic cars I have ever owned. Fun to drive. Not fun and very expensive to fix.

I will also agree with Toyota for reliability. I have had a number of them and they all went way over 200,000 miles without issue.

Put a class one hitch on it and you can get a bike rack. I have a bike rack and can mount up to 4 bikes.
Likes For Univega:
Old 09-21-20, 09:31 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
If you enjoy the act of driving get the GTI. If you're a "I just want to go from point A to B" then go with the Golf, Subaru, or Toyota. Mazda 3 is a great car (we own one). You can get a Class 1 hitch for just about anything. But, the one thing you need to keep in mind is that Class 1 has a 200 lb. tongue weight limit, so if your rack and bikes (e-bikes for example) weigh more, you may be asking for problems.

If you do decide to go Euro, I recommend getting a warranty - either remaining original warranty that will cover you for at least a year, or a certified pre-owned warranty. We've owned lots of cars from the VW family and BMW family, and I would never own one without a warranty as repair costs could eat your lunch.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-21-20, 09:37 AM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
The Ford C-Max is a hidden gem and an outstanding value for a car.

The best part? Hybrid operation means that oil changes happen ever 15k miles and brakes last 100k miles.

It can fit two bicycles with the rear seats folded down.
Likes For adlai:
Old 09-21-20, 09:51 AM
expatCanuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
If you want something smaller, I drive the Mazda 3 hatchback and have a Kuat trailer on the back. I can afford a more expensive car, but I'm really happy with my Mazda. It's reliable, comfortable and relatively fun to drive. I'd think twice about purchasing a Mini or a VW. Everyone I know who has had a VW, including me was happy with it for about 2-3 years, then many problems start with the cars. For me, it is important for a car to be reliable; when I turn the key, I want it to get me where I'm going. As far as the Mini, I haven't researched them recently, but I've heard good and bad. I've had my Mazda 3 for seven years now with no problems.

Good luck with whatever you purchase.
Thanks. Took a Mazda3 out for a drive two days ago. It's on the short list. My CX-5 has been plenty reliable, as was my 1980 Mazda GLC Sport (5-sp. manual) - my first car.
Old 09-21-20, 10:01 AM
expatCanuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
If you enjoy the act of driving get the GTI. If you're a "I just want to go from point A to B" then go with the Golf, Subaru, or Toyota. Mazda 3 is a great car (we own one). You can get a Class 1 hitch for just about anything. But, the one thing you need to keep in mind is that Class 1 has a 200 lb. tongue weight limit, so if your rack and bikes (e-bikes for example) weigh more, you may be asking for problems.

If you do decide to go Euro, I recommend getting a warranty - either remaining original warranty that will cover you for at least a year, or a certified pre-owned warranty. We've owned lots of cars from the VW family and BMW family, and I would never own one without a warranty as repair costs could eat your lunch.
I hear you. I am indeed an engaged, 'spirited' driver. But this vehicle will also be used for commuting. and driving a standard in stop & go gets old fast. But, if I need a fix, my better half sometimes lets me drive her roadster (a '97 Z3 with just over 15K).

Last edited by expatCanuck; 09-21-20 at 10:18 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.