Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Saddle Rail Creak

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Saddle Rail Creak

Old 09-26-20, 01:40 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Saddle Rail Creak

Hi - I just installed a new saddle (Fizik Antares Versus Evo R1 Adaptive), and there is an annoying creaking noise coming from the rails -- mostly when I'm grinding up hills. This saddle has carbon rails with a 7x10 oval cross section. My previous saddle was a Fizik Arione with alloy rails with a round cross section. The old saddle made no noise, so I'm pretty sure it's not the seatpost/frame connection.

My seatpost is a Ritchey WCS carbon, but the clamp that holds the rails is alloy. I bought a new clamp adapter from Ritchey that's specifically made for these oval rails. I used Park Supergrip carbon and alloy assembly compound paste and torqued to the recommended setting on the seat clamp (12nm) using a torque wrench. This is a weird 1-bolt system. The same bolt that tightens the clamp to the rails also tightens the clamp to the seat post itself. Fizik says its carbon rails can handle 18nm, but if I go higher than the Ritchey guidelines, I might damage the connection between the clamp and the post, and Fizik says to use the clamp recommendation if it is lower than 18nm. Any suggestions?
Old 09-26-20, 01:44 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
It might actually be creaking where the rails enter the base of the saddle. I've had a couple of saddles do that in the past. Conversely, I've never had a sound come from the interface between the rails and the clamp.
Old 09-26-20, 02:43 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
It might actually be creaking where the rails enter the base of the saddle. I've had a couple of saddles do that in the past. Conversely, I've never had a sound come from the interface between the rails and the clamp.
Good point! If so, is there any way to deal with it?
Old 09-26-20, 03:21 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
Good point! If so, is there any way to deal with it?
A squirt of oil might do the trick, or some Lock-Ease® graphite fluid, or moly disulphide powder.
Old 09-27-20, 12:38 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I used to drip some Muc-Off chain lube into the "sockets" where the rails entered the saddle base. It would cut the squeaking for a while.

I would trade back for that creak any day, as now that bike has a soft and intermittent sort of groan sound that comes from I-don't-know-where, and I've been trying to get rid of it for at least a year.
Old 10-01-20, 05:29 PM
Matt Gaunt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
A squirt of oil might do the trick, or some Lock-Ease® graphite fluid, or moly disulphide powder.
I’ve also had good results with a spot of glue from a glue gun at each rail/saddle interface. Usual disclaimers but if you’re careful it can work well.
Old 10-01-20, 05:36 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I used to drip some Muc-Off chain lube into the "sockets" where the rails entered the saddle base. It would cut the squeaking for a while.

I would trade back for that creak any day, as now that bike has a soft and intermittent sort of groan sound that comes from I-don't-know-where, and I've been trying to get rid of it for at least a year.
Hm, groaning usually indicates a motor problem. IME, it's a problem with fuel delivery, but YMMV.