Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Raised-edge stem cap from somewhere?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-20, 08:34 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts

I'm looking for a raised-edge stem cap (preferably logoless), but I can't find any.

I found this:

But I don't think I want to pay US$25 as I need four ($100!) and I don't really need the mount itself, but only something with raised edges a couple of millimetres.

I guess I could buy som flat stem caps and epoxy some headset spacers to them,but it seems a lot of faff and not as strong as a solid piece of metal.

Any idea where I could get some raised-edge stem caps?
Old 11-03-20, 09:10 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
3D print them, turn them from bar stock? Seems like a good project for a shop class student (are there still shop classes in local schools??) Andy
Old 11-03-20, 09:16 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
3D print them, turn them from bar stock? Seems like a good project for a shop class student (are there still shop classes in local schools??) Andy
I don't have access to a 3D metal printer, nor lathes. Not sure if there are still shop classes in our schools here in Denmark. Probably a little woodworking or something?

But, yes, it would be great to have something custom made, but I'm pretty sure I'd get over that $100 dollars of the k-edge caps.
Old 11-03-20, 09:32 PM
SpeedRanger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 18 Posts
Wolftooth intergrated spacers. You can always remove the anodized treatment
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...iant=797678357

Old 11-03-20, 10:22 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by SpeedRanger
Wolftooth intergrated spacers. You can always remove the anodized treatment
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...iant=797678357

Thanks, but it needs to be the other way around. The edges should go "up", so to speak. I'm not sure if I flip that one around that it will stay in place.
Old 11-04-20, 12:13 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
there are garmin stem cap mounts for about $10, I think. At least that's what I bought mine for

This is the one I bought, seems fine
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1?ie=UTF8&th=1
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 11-04-20, 07:15 AM
hsuBM
jj

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
You’re looking for 4 stem cap mounts for your computer and want to spend what you would on a single lunch for 4 turned pieces of metal plus 4 specifically shaped pieces of plastic to interface with your computer which would last at least one year before dropping your $$ computer on the ground?

you must be just young enough to be ignorant to the reality of inflation and old enough to remember when US$100 was real money and not just pocket change.
Old 11-04-20, 07:42 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

TBF, he didn't say that he was going to mount a computer on it. But your point is well taken, I definitely should use the lanyard with mine.
Old 11-04-20, 09:10 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by unterhausen
there are garmin stem cap mounts for about $10, I think. At least that's what I bought mine for

This is the one I bought, seems fine
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1?ie=UTF8&th=1
Oh! I like those. Seems like just the job!

Originally Posted by hsuBM
You’re looking for 4 stem cap mounts for your computer and want to spend what you would on a single lunch for 4 turned pieces of metal plus 4 specifically shaped pieces of plastic to interface with your computer which would last at least one year before dropping your $$ computer on the ground?
What the hell are you talking about? I didn't talk about computers at all. That's not what they are for at all.

I can't for the life of me figure out why you'd think this was somehow feet for a computer. You made that whole scenario up in your own head with no adherence to reality whatsoever.

you must be just young enough to be ignorant to the reality of inflation and old enough to remember when US$100 was real money and not just pocket change.
I prioritise what I spend my money on. For what is essentially end plugs for some tubing that happens to be about the same diameter as a 1 1/8 headset, I don't want to spend $100. And since I'm not actually going to use the inserts of the K-edge mounts, I think $100 is too much.

As for you $100 being "chump change": For some things, in some circumstances, it obviously is. But you won't buy a cup of coffee for $100 and think it doesn't matter, whereas a couple of good tyres or whatnot may very well fall into the category of "chump change".

I can tell the rest of you people that is actually for my cargo platform on my Omnium, and it's only so I can mount some 3M reflective tape that won't be scratched off when I a) put the bike up against something (front corners), and b) so I don't scratch off the reflective tape when I put my feet up on the cargo platform at the back which I sometimes do while descending or with one foot when I'm stopped at red lights.
Old 11-04-20, 10:55 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
Oh! I like those. Seems like just the job!

What the hell are you talking about? I didn't talk about computers at all. That's not what they are for at all.

I can't for the life of me figure out why you'd think this was somehow feet for a computer. You made that whole scenario up in your own head with no adherence to reality whatsoever.

I prioritise what I spend my money on. For what is essentially end plugs for some tubing that happens to be about the same diameter as a 1 1/8 headset, I don't want to spend $100. And since I'm not actually going to use the inserts of the K-edge mounts, I think $100 is too much.

As for you $100 being "chump change": For some things, in some circumstances, it obviously is. But you won't buy a cup of coffee for $100 and think it doesn't matter, whereas a couple of good tyres or whatnot may very well fall into the category of "chump change".

I can tell the rest of you people that is actually for my cargo platform on my Omnium, and it's only so I can mount some 3M reflective tape that won't be scratched off when I a) put the bike up against something (front corners), and b) so I don't scratch off the reflective tape when I put my feet up on the cargo platform at the back which I sometimes do while descending or with one foot when I'm stopped at red lights.

Maybe they thought that because you featured two large pics of stem cap computer mounts. I can't figure out why you can't figure that out.

Is Omnium jousting a thing? those forward prongs look dangerous.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 11-04-20, 10:59 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Maybe they thought that because you featured two large pics of stem cap computer mounts. I can't figure out why you can't figure that out.
I specifically said I didn't need the insert and I needed four of them.

Is Omnium jousting a thing? those forward prongs look dangerous.
It should be! Seriously, though, they do tend to get a little damage here and there.
Old 11-04-20, 12:17 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

are you going to tell us what you are using them for? Really curious now.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 11-04-20, 12:23 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4256 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
are you going to tell us what you are using them for? Really curious now.
He did:

Likes For njkayaker:
Old 11-04-20, 12:26 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4256 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
I specifically said I didn't need the insert and I needed four of them.
Unless it's for some clandestine purpose, people should probably indicate what the use is for when they are asking people for help/information about something unusual. It's a small courtesy and people might have other ideas about how to solve the issue.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 11-04-20, 12:34 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Unless it's for some clandestine purpose, people should probably indicate what the use is for when they are asking people for help/information about something unusual. It's a small courtesy and people might have other ideas about how to solve the issue.
Duly noted! The reason I didn't here was because I thought it might confuse matters more and be hard to explain (although it wasn't, in the end).
Old 11-04-20, 12:47 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input. I have received a "lead" in a pm, and if that doesn't pan out, I'll buy some of those cheap stem cap mounts a la Unterhausen posted.
Old 11-04-20, 12:47 PM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
The You Are What You Drink stem cap from Niner might be a good option as well.
Likes For Podagrower:
Old 11-04-20, 02:26 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by njkayaker
He did:
Well, that shows how badly I scan through threads.

I want to see pictures of this thing, but it might be better in the utility cycling forum
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 11-04-20, 02:30 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Well, that shows how badly I scan through threads.

I want to see pictures of this thing, but it might be better in the utility cycling forum
I have one in the "No logo" thread in General Cycling.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-04-20, 02:39 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

interesting bike. So the caps are for the ends of the tubes that form the platform? Is a starnut going to work to hold them in?
Old 11-04-20, 02:50 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

interesting bike. So the caps are for the ends of the tubes that form the platform? Is a starnut going to work to hold them in?
Yep, they are.

I already have starnuts in them and flat stem caps on the end. It did come with rounded plastic plugs, but the outer diameter of the tube is just over 30mm (so, 30,8 or something) and the inner probably 2+2 mm thinner (haven't measured it yet). The star nuts fit perfectly, but the stem caps is about a millimetre wider all around, and headset spacers which I thought of epoxying onto the caps are a couple of mm bigger still all around than that.

Now that the nuts are in, I realised that maybe I shouldn't have used starnuts at both ends, but an expander in one of the ends. The reason is that now that they have both been pushed in, they can't be pushed all the way through to remove them because the one in the other end will work against it. I now probably have to use a lot of force, or some sort of brace with a bolt on it.
The reason for me wanting to have access now after the fact is that I thought I could keep some "stuff" in there for safekeeping while touring. Maybe an extra key, a little cash, or perhaps copies of my passport or some such.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-04-20, 05:10 PM
hsuBM
jj

I don’t know about anyone else, but I rarely get more than one day’s use out of a single cup of coffee.

$100 is about fine for two and a half to three months of morning coffees made by some stranger with whom I’ve no obligation to make small talk.

I imagine you’re hoping to get more than one day’s use out of it... probable even more than just three months’? Definitely worth more than a coffee each for the kind of security of something structural you’re using to lean against.

you might need some decaf. Or just quit the caffeine. Jeez.

it's only so I can mount some 3M reflective tape that won't be scratched off when I a) put the bike up against something (front corners), and b) so I don't scratch off the reflective tape when I put my feet up on the cargo platform at the back which I sometimes do while descending or with one foot when I'm stopped at red lights.
If the caps are to be being the contact point between the bike and the things you’re leaning it against, what’s posted in #4 would be less likely to crack and fail and become a catch hazard for your clothing/skin than something concave.

Yep, an expander would’ve been prudent to’ve used in lieu of a second star.

best wishes, turbo.
Old 11-04-20, 05:20 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by hsuBM
I don’t know about anyone else, but I rarely get more than one day’s use out of a single cup of coffee.

$100 is about fine for two and a half to three months of morning coffees made by some stranger with whom I’ve no obligation to make small talk.

I imagine you’re hoping to get more than one day’s use out of it... probable even more than just three months’? Definitely worth more than a coffee each for the kind of security of something structural you’re using to lean against.

you might need some decaf. Or just quit the caffeine. Jeez.
Your argument was that $100 was "chump change". By way of example, I pointed out that it depends on what the $100 buys. As it turns out, I could buy something similar to the k-edge pieces for an all-up price of $40 (or less when I look around), rather than spending $100.

If the caps are to be being the contact point between the bike and the things you’re leaning it against, what’s posted in #4 would be less likely to crack and fail and become a catch hazard for your clothing/skin than something concave.
Except for a few things:

1: I already have flat stem caps there, and for the use, they're not good enough for why I want them. Having a little bit of extension on the end before the flat end part won't change matters.

2: Rounded edges are perfectly fine. It's not like the hole in those stem caps with a small plastic bit is super deep such as an unplugged handlebar where you risk a deep, involuntary biopsy of you stomach or thigh.

3: The ones that might "crack" are the ones at the front of the cargo platform. I'm not likely to hit those in any crash. The ones at the back are merely used as a footrest from time to time, and a perimeter edge would stop me from accidentally remove the reflective tape with my feet/foot.

Yep, an expander would’ve been prudent to’ve used in lieu of a second star.
Yup, I have to fix that cheap solution sometime down the road.

Last edited by CargoDane; 11-04-20 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-04-20, 05:38 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

I just realised that maybe I should explain something:
The cargo platform is not part of the bike itself. It's made from aluminium and boltet onto the bike. It's not something I worry about being damaged a little bit, and even if I'm in a crash that opens it up or whatever, a replacement for it is cheap and I consider scratches on it "patina". If I am in a crash that bends the prongs, I will buy a new one when I get around to, and if they break off, I will cover the resulting hole until I get around to buy a new one. It's a couple of days of wait at most, and if I can't wait, their shop is about 12 miles from where I live.
It's just a platform I strap down things on for the most part, not something I am afraid will get damaged. It just so happens that the tube ends are perfectly placed for reflectors/reflective tape.
Old 11-04-20, 05:38 PM
hsuBM
jj

Your argument was that $100 was "chump change". By way of example, I pointed out that it depends on what the $100 buys. As it turns out, I could buy something similar to the k-edge pieces for an all-up price of $40 (or less when I look around), rather than spending $100.
quote me right. I said “pocket change” on purpose. I’m seldom intentionally condescending enough to imply that what many American adults with children survive on taking home for two ten hour shifts is something to be ashamed about. But: Many people spend double that on a single night on the town and *poof* it’s gone forever. I wholeheartedly agree that it depends on what you’re getting out of it. When the original premise of the purpose of your caps included an image of a Wahoo thinger and no other context other than you “don’t need” the plastic inserts (which very much implies trying to live large with multiple bikes on a one computer budget) $25 each totally is chump change to protect your investment.

I’m glad that you reached a viable solution.

Last edited by hsuBM; 11-04-20 at 05:42 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.