Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Best security skewers?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Best security skewers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-20, 10:20 PM
zachleft

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Best security skewers?

In the market for some locks. For the main frame lock I'm deciding between a Kryptonite New York and Kryptonite Evolution Mini 7 for a slightly smaller shackle.

But I think I'd like to expand beyond that and scoop some wheel skewers for extra protection. I've done some research and narrowed it down to these:

- Styx Aero skewers: I'm not entirely sure if they're meant to be for security but they're opened with a torx screwdriver which I can't imagine is that common, but idk

- Hexlox skewers: these seem to be a solid option but there's this video of someone removing the magnet with two screwdrivers though idk how patient some thieves would be for something like that

- Delta Cycle Knoxnut: thought these looked interesting but I couldn't find much information about them online and they're a lot cheaper than the other options

- Pitlock skewers: these certainly seem to be the standard but the most expensive option

Would love to hear if anyone has any experience using any of these systems or any other recommendations are welcome as well
Old 11-09-20, 10:31 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Torx bolts are everywhere. But what any bolt does as opposed to a simply lever is stop people from stealing your wheel on a whim unless they have tools with them.
I don't have any opinion on the rest, but as I was looking for some torx bolts/nuts for my front wheel, I thank you for that link as I have never heard of them before.

But to give a little back:
Kryptonite also have some bolts (and skewers). Their "Gravity" line. They can't be loosened unless the bike is turned upside down. So if you leave your bike locked to something that prevents the bike from being turned upside down, it is difficult to remove them. I have them on my Rohloff hub at the back (the "wheel nutz").

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/conte...l?type=bicycle

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/conte...l?type=bicycle
Old 11-09-20, 10:33 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 6,681 Times in 2,609 Posts
I have a set of these V-O ones, which require a special Allen wrench:

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...-theft-skewers

perhaps the least expensive of the various options.
Old 11-09-20, 11:37 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner

I've got these also, for my errand bike. Another layer beyond using a U lock for the main triangle/rear wheel and one of those seat leashes with a small padlock through the frame and front wheel. Also put a seatpost security bolt and seatpost binder on. It's a scratched-the-hell up Motobecane Super Mirage, so I don't expect anyone to try and steal it, just wanted to deter the opportunistic a-holes looting it.
Old 11-10-20, 12:04 AM
zachleft

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner

Hmm I like the price on these, but these seem lie they'd be easy to unscrew, no?
Old 11-10-20, 06:14 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 6,681 Times in 2,609 Posts
Originally Posted by zachleft
Hmm I like the price on these, but these seem lie they'd be easy to unscrew, no?
Only if you have the Allen wrench specific to those skewers.
Old 11-10-20, 10:49 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 786 Posts
Which most thieves won't be carrying but that "center-pin" Allen wrench is easy enough to find at any well-stocked hardware store. Which means a well-stocked thief may eventually catch on and add it to his dirty deed tool-kit. And Torx is becoming almost as common as a Phillips driver, these days, so would not be too confident about that providing much protection.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 11-10-20, 12:04 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Any deterrent helps.

I had someone steal the quick-release skewers out of my wheels once while it (including the wheels) was parked and locked, presumably to disable the bike so that I would leave it overnight, where the thief could come back to finish the job under cover of darkness.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 11-10-20, 01:13 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
It helps to know what thieves carry. I've learned they do carry cable cutters but do not carry simple wrenches. This is bizarre but appears to be true.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 11-10-20, 04:38 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Think defense in depth. Multiple defenses and causing thieves to need more time to remove anything.

I once caught some cretin trying to remove a rear rack. He ran off when I confronted him. After that the attachment screws were all different. Phillips, bladed, torx and a nutted bolt. There's only so many tools these guys are going to carry.

Those Velo Orange skewers, coupled with a lock, give your wheels two lines of defense.
Likes For Vintage_Cyclist:
Old 11-12-20, 08:44 PM
ZudeJammer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Series V 1985, Motobecane Grand Touring 1982, Specialized Stumpjumper 1993, Raleigh International 1972, Raleigh Grand Prix 1972, Kuwahara Count 1983, Trek Cirrus 1987, Shogun 2001 1983, Cannondale SM700 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 96 Posts
not a skewer but I had a security penta nut (no pin) on my seatpost and it got stolen
Old 11-12-20, 09:19 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...the problem with most security skewers is that they use alloy rods. If you have a bike with horizontal dropouts, and you exert any kind of aggressive push on the pedals, it's hard to get them tight enough to hold your rear wheel in position unless you have vertical dropouts, where they work fine. Tighten them too far wth an alloy rod, and they strip.
Old 11-13-20, 11:03 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
@Vintage_Cyclist, that is a clever idea to use different bolt heads.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-13-20, 11:52 AM
Vintage_Cyclist

Originally Posted by noglider
@Vintage_Cyclist, that is a clever idea to use different bolt heads.
It's a constant game of one-upmanship with these thieving dirtbags.

That's also the main reason I got the security skewers, I wasn't that concerned about the old wheels I had on my Super Mirage; I always used to drop the front wheel and lock it up with the frame and rear with the U-lock. Then one day someone took my skewers off the wheels. Probably went on eBay or CL.
Old 11-13-20, 08:20 PM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts
The pinhead stuff is expensive but seems to work very well. I see a lot of it here in NYC. The "skewers" are alloy, though, and I've never tried them with anything except vertical dropouts. They also make similar locking nuts for solid axles, which I've also used but only for front wheels. These could offer a solution for horizontal dropouts if you're willing/able to switch to solid axles.
Old 11-13-20, 10:39 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Headpost
They also make similar locking nuts for solid axles, which I've also used but only for front wheels. These could offer a solution for horizontal dropouts if you're willing/able to switch to solid axles.
I set up my grocery getter with a solid front axle and Pinhead nuts. It was easy piece of mind with no concerns about alloy skewers.

I lock the rear wheel with the frame so I don’t care about the rear QR skewer.