Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Fork Length question...

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Fork Length question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-20, 03:08 PM
mr9iron

Bikes: '85 Peugeot Triathlon, '92 DeRosa Nuovo Classico, '93 DeRosa Titanio, '00 DeRosa Neo Pro, '00 Gary Fisher Marlin, '14 Cervelo R3, '14 Focus Mares

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fork Length question...

Hello all,

I recently acquired a custom Rodriguez S3 steel frame in excellent condition. Unfortunately it didn't come with a fork, but the seller had the geometry chart. It indicates a fork that is 374mm axle to crown.

One of the forks I was considering was Enve's road fork, 45 rake version, but its A to C is only 367mm a difference of 7 millimeters.

https://www.enve.com/en/products/road-fork/

What I am not entirely sure is how crucial this dimension is, and I am not exactly sure what I am affecting in terms of ride characteristic. Would a shorter fork decrease the slope and or have me scraping my pedals on the road?

There is another option for a 375 A to C fork, but it's on back order and doesn't look as nice but really would like input from you frame experts as to how critical this dimension is, any help appreciated

thanks!

Last edited by mr9iron; 11-12-20 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-12-20, 04:13 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,690 Times in 2,513 Posts
You're going to get a steeper head angle. I don't see the drop marked on there, but it's not going to change much. Even if it was going to drop 7mm, that wouldn't be a problem

The head angle will decrease trail. Some people like high trail, some people don't. I like to use handlebar bags, so lower trail is nicer. It really depends on what you think is going to happen. If you aren't worried about it, you will get used to it quickly and it won't bother you. Otherwise wait for the stock A/C fork to come back into stock.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 11-12-20, 04:34 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
I would buy this Whisky No.7 fork. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=89493

It is similar to the ENVE with a more appropriate axle to crown length.
Likes For dsaul: