Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

We need a word for...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

We need a word for...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-20, 10:43 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
We need a word for...

those roads that we've ridden far more than we've ever been on in a car....

I found myself in the far south of the end of the city with my wife and needed to get back home in the far north during rush hour. I popped to the outer edge of the city and hit the rural highways that I ride on for 40km or so and realized that it may easily have been only the second or third time I'd driven on them despite having ridden them 50 or more times.

So... what word to use to describe those types of roads? I'm sure we all have them....
Old 11-21-20, 10:51 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Your bike commuter road?

I don't understand why there should be word for it. To me, a bike is transportation (fun, but still transportation). I haven't counted how many times I've ridden a particular road on a bike vs. car. My bike is my main transportation, so it's natural that most roads will be travelled most often by bike.
When I am in a car - regardless of me driving or being a passenger, I immediately think "how much load do I have? Which gear would be better than the one I'm in?". Only to realise I'm being stupid: I'm in a car with an autobox, it doesn't matter, you just press your right foot if needed.
Old 11-21-20, 11:03 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
Your bike commuter road?

I don't understand why there should be word for it. To me, a bike is transportation (fun, but still transportation). I haven't counted how many times I've ridden a particular road on a bike vs. car. My bike is my main transportation, so it's natural that most roads will be travelled most often by bike.
When I am in a car - regardless of me driving or being a passenger, I immediately think "how much load do I have? Which gear would be better than the one I'm in?". Only to realise I'm being stupid: I'm in a car with an autobox, it doesn't matter, you just press your right foot if needed.
It might be more of a north american thing where distances are so much further where car travel is much more prevalent. I happen to live just outside a large city (1.6M people); driving in a car tends to be driving into and out of the city, riding is NEVER into the city... always on highways and rural roads heading away and back from the city.
Likes For Beach Bob:
Old 11-21-20, 11:08 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I've often used my cycling routes to get from one place to another in a car. They're good routes for a reason. Happens all the time - I'll be in the car in some out of the way place and want to get to somewhere else. I'll think . . .Oh, I know the way, and take one of my cycling routes.

On my bike, about 25 miles from home, I waved to a friend who was heading for a freeway entrance ramp in his car. He lived next door to me. I took my usual cycling route and beat him home. Who knew, huh? It was during the afternoon rush period. Riding has made my driving better, but that's another subject. We have the worst traffic in the country here, so they say.
Old 11-22-20, 06:21 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22572 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Local Legend??
Likes For datlas:
Old 11-22-20, 09:18 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I've often used my cycling routes to get from one place to another in a car. They're good routes for a reason. Happens all the time - I'll be in the car in some out of the way place and want to get to somewhere else. I'll think . . .Oh, I know the way, and take one of my cycling routes.
After relocating, it took me a few years worth of riding before it finally occurred to me that I could/should take some of my cycling routes when driving. It's nice - they're generally pretty quick and uncongested. The funny thing is that my wife seems to appreciate driving my cycling routes even more than I do - she gets to see some scenic back roads that she never knew existed, gawk at 1%er houses, etc.

I do occasionally find myself needing to re-route, though. On the bike, I've got shortcuts here and there and, in the car, I've found myself at an impasse because oh yeah - I can't drive my car on that 20' sidewalk passthrough...
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-22-20, 10:18 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
I took the non-highway home one day in the car, my wife asked me if I bike this route a lot. “Yes” I replied, “how did you guess that ?”. “Because you’ve not stopped at the last 3 stop signs”.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 11-22-20, 12:21 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
I just call them roads?

Around here these roads are usually the ones that you don't drive for a reason (as in: it'll take you twice as long to get there), but if there is a wreck and a major road is closed, it has come in handy.
Likes For Caliper:
Old 11-24-20, 06:21 PM
gofastdontcrash
#gofastdontcrash

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac SL7 Sagan, S-Works Venge, Specialized Stumjumper Pro Carbon, Beach Cruiser, NS Zircus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 7 Posts
Skinny tire roads.
Old 11-24-20, 09:33 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I took the non-highway home one day in the car, my wife asked me if I bike this route a lot. “Yes” I replied, “how did you guess that ?”. “Because you’ve not stopped at the last 3 stop signs”.
For me, it's because the Amish farmers and I always wave at each other.
Old 11-24-20, 09:41 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I seldom drive most of the roads I ride on. I live in a rural area just outside the city. All stores and services are to the west, so if I'm driving it's in that direction. Nothing but empty country roads to the east so all my riding is in that direction. Only a few miles of north-south roads see double duty.
Old 11-24-20, 09:53 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
We all have our "Old Reliables" that guarantee us what we are yearning for.
Old 11-26-20, 01:52 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Velostreet
Likes For Bassmanbob: