Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Old 02-20-05, 11:27 AM
OldShacker

Bikes: Cannondale R300, RT1000, Trek1000c, EZ sport cx, EZ Tandem (tuna boat)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commuter, Trek 1000C, 25 mile round trip commute. Now My Sun EZ sport CX The best commuter bike I ever had. Since I have most of my miles on bike paths it makes for a nice ride.

Last edited by OldShacker; 08-14-05 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-20-05, 12:03 PM
DoshKel
RIP Shiznaz.

Bikes: 1983 Bianchi Eco Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got this and since I am new to cycling, I know nothing about it. All I know is it is a 10 year old (I think) Puch that I got for $99 flat. If anyone can tell me anything about it, I would be very grateful . I use this for training, and my 9 mile commute.

^ my homeade timing set-up .

Cheers.
Old 02-20-05, 01:42 PM
nick burns

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DoshKel
I just got this and since I am new to cycling, I know nothing about it. All I know is it is a 10 year old (I think) Puch that I got for $99 flat. If anyone can tell me anything about it, I would be very grateful .
I'd tack a few more years onto the age. It looks like a entry level model, probably high tensile steel frame, most likely made in Japan.
Old 02-23-05, 11:58 PM
Treespeed
Warning:Mild Peril

Bikes: Cilo, Surly Pacer, Kona Fire Mountain w/Bob Trailer, Scattante

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quick update of my commuting ride. Sadly I didn't get the new fenders on in time to protect me from the recent LA deluge, but the panniers gave my back a break from the messenger bag. The only problem is I've forgotten how loaded panniers turn your bike into a tank, no more bunny hopping the potholes.
Old 02-24-05, 06:48 PM
rykoala

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Single Speed in commuter trim (minus pannier, which I do commute with)
1985 Centurion Accordo, 42x16 gearing.

Old 02-24-05, 06:56 PM
zoridog

Bikes: Bianchi Milano Nexus 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my commuter built based on the recommendations of the good folks on this forum. It is a 1990ish Fuji Suncrest hardtail with stainless steel fenders and a Topeak Quick Track bag/rack combo. I had to rebuild the headset and add a new cassette and chain to repair the rough treatment it experienced in the "real" mountain biking of my youth. I only commute from March to daylight savings time so no lights are needed. Maybe someday...
Old 02-25-05, 02:24 PM
jmbranum
proud okie

Bikes: Schwinn Sierra Hybrid, old schwinn MTB, Graziella folding bicycle (one speed Italian), miscellaneous other bike parts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my commuter. The bike is an old Schwinn which in a previous life was used to pull a pedicab trailer in Austin in 2001 (here's a picture of it from back then... https://www.jmbzine.com/graphics/bikecabbie.jpg)

I paid $45 for the bike used (I bought it from one of the guys I worked with at the Pedicab company). --- In this reincarnation, I've added a seat-mounted rack and zip tied a plastic milk crate to it. The old license plates were also zip tied for fun and to add more reflective surfaces to improve night-time visibility.

Right now I have a back red LED light, but will be buying a front white headlight.
Old 02-28-05, 05:59 PM
trimmedinred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey i am soon going to buy a road bike but i also want it to be a good commuter bike
i was looking at the trek 1000 or 1500
any suggestionds on commuting upgrades and what not
thanks
Old 02-28-05, 08:28 PM
zoridog

Bikes: Bianchi Milano Nexus 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
trimmedinred,
This forum has alot of info on building the ideal commuter. My bike needed fenders and a rack/bag for lunch and clothes. Lights are nice if you commute in the winter. Tire liners are good if you drive on streets with alot of debris. Make it unique ... that's part of the fun.
Old 03-06-05, 10:28 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Here's my baby - a 1986 Miyata 210. Most of the major components are original. I'm running the OEM Dia-Compe low profile cantilevers in the rear, but I've switched for a set of vintage Shimano XT wide-profile cantis up front. I would do the same in the rear, but for some reason the used set I bought only had three of the spring cartidges. I really need to call the bike shop dude about that - I was annoyed! I also replaced the foam and levers that came with the bike. I've got aero levers and black tape on the bars, now.

Hrm, let's see, what else... 27-inch wheels, running Panaracer Pasela Tourguard tires (630X32), Planet Bike fenders (covered in grime!), and the glare is reflecting off of my Jandd economy panniers. What you make not be able to see in the photo is that my bike is covered in grime! Plans for the future include bar-end shifters and cleaning all of the crap off of my poor bike. The tire in the upper left there belongs to my roomie's Specialized Crossroads, which I can tell you is a very comfy ride! We like bikes here.

I love my bike.
Old 03-06-05, 10:37 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Tada! Here's my new commuter.
04' Giant OCR touring.
Ultegra shifters, triple ring, spd pedals, avid road bb disc brakes, 700x35 specialized infinity tires, inline brake levers, 27 watt light & motion dual light setup, 19-LED NR rear light, full wrap around planet bike fenders.

Last edited by slvoid; 03-06-05 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-07-05, 12:26 PM
Stubacca

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I figured it must finally be time that I took some pics of my current commuter... Surly Cross-Check, bought about July last year. Drivetrain is stock from the basic Cross-Check build with somewhere around 1500-2000 miles on it. Has knobby tires in the pic, but on the weekend I changed them out for my summer tires (700x28 Armadillos). Have added:

Crank Bros Candy SL pedals
Brooks Team Pro saddle
Planet Bike Freddy fenders
Blackburn Expedition rack with Arkel T-42 panniers (laptop etc in one, clothing and lunch in the other)
Lights (two read LEDs, front 10W halogen + LED)

This has been a fantastic bike for my commute. Very comfy, and the stock gearing has been great for the terrain and load. It's getting a brake upgrade soon, but I'm not sure yet whether I'll go with cantis (Avid Shorty) or V-brakes. Also on the cards is a new wheelset.
Old 03-13-05, 01:30 PM
TheDL
Survival of the Fitest

Bikes: 198? Univega Custom Maxima, 2009 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Here's it is the day before her maiden commute. It's a 1986 Schwinn Sierra frame that I bought used and built up. It'll serve as an occassional tourer as well. Rollin' on WTB Speed XC hubs hand laced to Sun-Ringle 0 degree XC rims that are shod with 1.25" GEAX StreetRunners. She can flatten any hill with the ability to go to a 30/32 gear ratio (built with Mt. Constitution on Orcas Island in mind).

One interesting thing about the frame is that in its current configuration the center of the bottom bracket is about 11" off the ground!

Last edited by TheDL; 03-13-05 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-14-05, 08:25 AM
mmerner
okay maybe not.

Bikes: oh a bunch.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1990 trek 420 converted into a fixed gear.
Old 03-14-05, 10:13 PM
The Rob
Almost Immortal

Bikes: 2004 Trek 7500FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDL
Here's it is the day before her maiden commute. It's a 1986 Schwinn Sierra frame that I bought used and built up...

Nice bike!

https://blog.myspace.com/robcatg

https://therob.wordpress.com
Old 03-18-05, 04:34 PM
SpokesInMyPoop
Ha Ha! Boss.

Bikes: Univega custom 14sp mixte + Sears 3sp groceryhoggg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mmerner
1990 trek 420 converted into a fixed gear.
brrr....
Old 03-20-05, 10:15 AM
dee-vee
vegan powered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Specialized Sirrus 05:

Full fenders
Blackburn Expedition rack with Arkel Bug
Topeak seat bag
Topeak road morph pump
10 LED cateye rear light / cheapy 3 LED front light

Commute is about 12 miles round trip. Also my around town bike.

Last edited by dee-vee; 05-21-06 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-20-05, 10:36 AM
Szpirit

Bikes: 2002 Devinci Caribou

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Dee-Vee,

How do you like that Arkel Bug Bag? Do you use just one?
Old 03-20-05, 10:58 AM
dee-vee
vegan powered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like it. But due to my compact frame and my rack and size 13 shoe I have to put it fairly far back on the rack or I will hit my heel on it. Otherwise so far I love it. It isnt a super comfy backpack but I usually just carry it around by the top strap, I might get the shoulder strap for it. It is built really well and will last a long time. I am thinking about getting the Arkel trunk bag next.
Old 03-20-05, 09:28 PM
abarnard

Bikes: Bacchetta Aero, Cannondale Urban Assualt Vehicle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my Cannondale from the early '90s. Has more miles than it appears...

Old 03-20-05, 10:17 PM
SpokesInMyPoop
Ha Ha! Boss.

Bikes: Univega custom 14sp mixte + Sears 3sp groceryhoggg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abarnard
Here's my Cannondale from the early '90s. Has more miles than it appears...

pretty sharp
Old 03-22-05, 02:57 PM
jedde

Bikes: Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my commuter

'01 Jamis Aurora
Shimano PD M545 pedals
Brooks B17 Narrow saddle
freddy fenders clip-ons
Blackburn rack
Serratus pannier(s)
Conti TT2000 700X32
Old 03-22-05, 08:10 PM
Marylandnewbie

Bikes: Fuji Supreme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my new steed, I've been riding it about two weeks. Its a Fuji Supreme with Planet bike fenders added. A Jandd rack and Hurricane bag on the back. The yellow box on the front holds my lights, battery, spare tube, patch kit and tools all in one easy package that can be easily removed from the bike when I get to work. One of the headlights is a 10w narrow flood while the other is a 20w narrow spot for really dark sections of the trail. So far its all worked beautifully.
Old 03-24-05, 09:31 AM
GTcommuter
Easily distracted...

Bikes: Surley Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Marylandnewbie, great looking bike. Can you give me some details about your your light set-up?
Old 03-24-05, 10:11 AM
Marylandnewbie

Bikes: Fuji Supreme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The lights and toolbox combo are really a cobbling together of two ideas I found on the web. The idea for the lights came from this website: https://nordicgroup.us/s78/. He provides a ton of info on lights as well as sources for parts. I bought the battery, charger, lights and bulbs from sources he lists. To keep the price down I used a 5amp hour SLA battery that cost like $13. My switch, a fuse and some connectors came from Radio Shack. All the parts to make the lights cost me maybe $45.

The two light housing are auto driving lights that come with 55w bulbs, but they can be switched to MR16 bulbs. In one light I have a 10w narrow flood which provides enough light to be seen and to see in twilight. The other has a 20w narrow spot for riding in total darkness and is really wonderful. The lights are mounted on a piece of 1/4 UHMW plastic which is connected to the tool box with 4 nylon bolts. I think they're 1/4 in.

The toolbox is made up of corrugated plastic (sometimes called Coroplast). At this website: https://www.mile43.com/peterson/Kents_Tailbox.html you'll see some of the inspiration for my design. I worked out a pattern on some cardboard (actually 2 patterns since the first one didn't work). Once I had a working pattern I cut it out of the plastic, folded it properly and the glued things together with Superglue and then used some more nylon bolts to make sure everything stays together.

The box's lid fits pretty snugly to keep rain and spray out. Two nylon straps go around the box and the UHMW plastic base to hold the lid down and keep everything together should a glue joint or bolt fail. I mounted some velcro strips to the straps and use those to hold my minipump on top. The minpump serves as a carrying handle when I take it off the bike.

The whole rig is held on the bike with hooks bent from 3/8 PVC rods. To keep the box from swinging I bolted a strip of metal to my front brake bridge that sticks up through a slot in the back of the UHMW sheet on the bottom of the box. It takes me about 20 secs to lift it off my bike and go. I ordered the corrugated plastic, UHMW and PVC rod online through Modern Plastics. I am guessing that all of the plastic, glue, straps, etc for the box cost about $40. So for about $80 bucks I have a very bright, durable, portable light/toolbox. I haven't weighed the whole box loaded, but I would guess it is in the 7 - 9 lbs range.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.