Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which neoprene shoe covers for road cycling?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-19, 09:22 PM
josephpiano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I use SPD-SL pedals with road biking shoes and cleats. Want to figure out my best option for neoprene shoe covers for online purchase. What do y'all recommend? I saw casrrelli neoprene shoe covers on amazon. Anyone have success with these? Wondering if there's something cheaper. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-02-19, 09:38 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Shoe cover

Originally Posted by josephpiano
I use SPD-SL pedals with road biking shoes and cleats. Want to figure out my best option for neoprene shoe covers for online purchase. What do y'all recommend? I saw casrrelli neoprene shoe covers on amazon. Anyone have success with these? Wondering if there's something cheaper. Thanks in advance.
I won’t say these are the “best” however, they work pretty darn good for me. I just wanted to block the wind, and get a little more road biking in before going full-on fat bike. These worked for me down into the upper 20’s with wind for my 1 1/2 hour training rides. Certainly inexpensive. I could leave these on, and just roll them down a tad to get in/out of my shoe without having to remove them entirely.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-03-19, 05:27 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by josephpiano
I use SPD-SL pedals with road biking shoes and cleats. Want to figure out my best option for neoprene shoe covers for online purchase. What do y'all recommend? I saw casrrelli neoprene shoe covers on amazon. Anyone have success with these?

Wondering if there's something cheaper. Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted by Craptacular8
I won’t say these are the “best” however, they work pretty darn good for me. I just wanted to block the wind, and get a little more road biking in before going full-on fat bike. These worked for me down into the upper 20’s with wind for my 1 1/2 hour training rides.

Certainly inexpensive. I could leave these on, and just roll them down a tad to get in/out of my shoe without having to remove them entirely
My only specific preference is for Velcro rather than zipper closures; easier to fasten. And I also look for thicker (warmer) material rather than just a wind screen.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-03-19 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-03-19, 07:38 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Are these for staying dry, for wind, or for just staying warmer?
Old 12-03-19, 08:37 PM
josephpiano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Are these for staying dry, for wind, or for just staying warmer?
Yes, all really.
Old 12-04-19, 08:24 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I have some SealSkins tall neoprene covers that I got for pretty cheap (maybe $18?) from one of the UK sites. They work for me down to about 20F with thick wool socks. I use them for blocking wind and staying a bit warmer for longer rides in cool temperatures and temps in the 20s and 30s when insulated boots seem to be overkill.

Beyond that, I just wear (regular) winter boots. Where I've lived, temperatures cooler than will work with neoprene covers usually involve snow cover, which does not play well with SPD-SL cleats (ask me how I know).

My neoprene covers have been garbage in anything other than a light rain. They soak through in a downpour and take forever to dry out (a problem when commuting).
Old 12-04-19, 08:50 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Toe covers work as good as full booties when wearing road shoes, at least for me anyway. Colder than that I wear real boots and flat pedals.
Old 12-04-19, 09:48 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I have been researching this topic myself for quite awhile and what I have concluded is that there actually is not a single product (that I could find, anyway) that does all three super well--wet, wind, cold. Where I am, it does not get down into the 20s F all that frequently, but it does rain for months on end. So, I decided to go with the best rain-proofing covers I could find and that was the Velotoze Tall shoe covers. Like, 20 bucks.

I know some people have had pretty good luck with the Fizik winter shoes, or so they have reported, but I have not personally worn them.
Old 12-04-19, 10:11 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I have been researching this topic myself for quite awhile and what I have concluded is that there actually is not a single product (that I could find, anyway) that does all three super well--wet, wind, cold.

Where I am, it does not get down into the 20s F all that frequently, but it does rain for months on end.
So, I decided to go with the best rain-proofing covers I could find and that was the Velotoze Tall shoe covers. Like, 20 bucks.

I know some people have had pretty good luck with the Fizik winter shoes, or so they have reported, but I have not personally worn them.
I have recently posted to this thread,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Keeping feet warm?”

Nice review of the options, @KC8QVO; my situation for winter riding seems similar though I don’t know where you post from.

I find neoprene boot covers tolerable on my rides rarely below 10° F, even with the open bottoms. Boots seem too expensive for the few times I really need them. I do find the zippered covers hard to close and Velcro closures are much easier.

Ialso have employed additional Goretex covers for wind [and rain] protection.

[posted before I got a winter bike with clipless pedals]:Now as noted above, I wear cleated cycling shoes and neoprene shoe covers instead of the Totes. .
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…One other comment, especially when suggesting various solutions for winter riding problems. I often recommend on such threads that the poster define their riding conditions, especially distance, as well as temperature to better evaluate the experience.

In fact I further tout this definition from the thread ”What's the minimum qualifying distance for a cold-temperature ride?” of a cold ride, in which one’s water bottle freezes (solid), a function of both temperature and distance (time on the road).

For my 14 mile commute, this occurs at about 15°F.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-04-19 at 12:49 PM.
Likes For Jim from Boston: