Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Blocked out of Bikeforumn

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-08-19, 04:34 PM
OldFart23A
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all, OldFart. with an A added because I have been locked out for many days now. Have registered. Have written to the Administrator but have not heard back yet. Every time I log into this site my Activity Monitor indicates that Bikeforumn is using a heavy amount of energy and that leaving this site will improve my computers performance.....and it sure did....I could hardly use it.

Any one else have a problem signing in or with the consuming energy problem?

I'll post this and see what happens. Keeping my fingers crossed as I really like this forum and all your responses
Old 12-08-19, 04:46 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8189 Post(s)
Liked 8,844 Times in 4,392 Posts
No problems here.
Old 12-08-19, 04:54 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by OldFart23A
Every time I log into this site my Activity Monitor indicates that Bikeforumn is using a heavy amount of energy and that leaving this site will improve my computers performance.....and it sure did....I could hardly use it.

Any one else have a problem signing in or with the consuming energy problem?
I don't know what this problem is, but if you turn off Javascript in your browser it can't use very much resources. Last time I checked, bikeforums.net ran fine with Javascript disabled.

You can install a second brand of browser (e.g. if Chrome is you main browser, install FireFox also) and turn off Javascript (google that, if necessary) for that browser. Everything runs faster without Javascript (although many features might disappear).
Likes For tyrion:
Old 12-08-19, 05:23 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Hi all, OldFart. with an A added because I have been locked out for many days now.

I just looked all your account settings and they are fine. This is on your end, not ours. And, I'm unsure of what your definition of several is, as you just posted two days ago.
Old 12-08-19, 05:34 PM
OldFart23A
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi, Thanks for checking for me, I really appreciate that! I was totally unaware that that post of two days ago actually was in fact "posted". I was having difficulty typing the thing and left our forum and left the site; my computer ran much faster.

I am having no problems with my newly registered user name: OldFart23A. I do not see Bikeforum in my Activity Monitor, yet. Hope that doesn't happen again as it was sure hammering my computer.

Thanks again and have a great day.
Old 12-08-19, 05:39 PM
OldFart23A
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your kind and informative reply. I am using Firefox; don't know about those javascript things, but I'll check it out. Currently, I am having no problems on here.

Again, THX!
Old 12-08-19, 05:42 PM
OldFart23A
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
currently not having any either...probanly just 'cause I am an Old Fart!!

Thx for the viewing
Likes For OldFart23A:
Old 12-08-19, 06:24 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
You're not allowed to have two accounts. Which do you want me to close?
Old 12-08-19, 09:03 PM
OldFart23A
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you can guarantee me that I will be able to sign in and NOT have BikeForm draining my computer energy, I'd like to keep the original one: OldFart23; if not. then this one OldFart23A, Thanks for your time and interest. I''ll sign into one of my two accounts and if I can't sign in, then I'll know which one you left open for me.

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-08-19, 09:13 PM
OldFart23A
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
just replying on this post to let you all know that "Bikeform" is now using between 56 to 88.6% CPU !!! Guess I'll not be able to use this forum any longer, shame, I liked all you people's posts; all. I was going to respond to all of them, but as Bikeform was blocking me, I couldn't. Now is't happening of my new, 2nd registration name: OldFart23A. Look for me elsewhere,,,,,,Bye All
Old 12-09-19, 01:36 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
High CPU usage is usually a browser configuration problem. Most of the major browsers get fairly frequent updates, which sometimes cause more problems. I've also noticed that Firefox occasionally is less efficient than Chrome, but a week or so later they'll flip-flop and Chrome will be a little slower and less efficient. Just depends on the update status, moon phase, and scripts running on a page that help with tracking traffic for ad revenue.

Also, Firefox is a little more meticulous than Chrome about third party extensions, add-ons and doodads. If they don't meet Firefox standards for security, Mozilla will disable the extension until the problem is fixed. So if you were running some sort of extension that minimized ads, scripts, popups, etc., it may have been disabled by Mozilla/Firefox.

And the web is becoming more resource intensive all the time. My 2012 entry level laptop used to be adequate for web browsing but it's painfully slow now on some sites.
Old 12-09-19, 06:34 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
OldFart, you keep blaming the forum for your problems even though it is almost certainly a problem at your end. Instead of petulantly asking for the forum to change to fit you try experimenting for yourself. Install another browser like Chrome or just open Edge and experiment with that. If your cpu usage goes down you know there is a problem with Firefox. If you can't figure out what settings to adjust, uninstall and then reinstall Firefox and see if that helps. Keep in mind, if something in Firefox is causing your problems here it may cause problems elsewhere. Better to fix the problem rather than just quit using a site you like..
Old 12-10-19, 06:37 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
I liked all you people's posts; all. I was going to respond to all of them,
Surely don't need that.... Bye bye
Old 12-10-19, 08:10 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Six apps open on my desktop currently, including Bike Forums in a Chrome tab, CPU usage hovering around 4%. Seems about right.
Old 12-10-19, 08:33 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I end up with quite a few windows/tabs open. And, Firefox ends up eating up 100% of the memory before causing the CPU to go bonkers.

So, high CPU usage is likely attributable to high memory usage, Hard Drive swapping, and too little installed RAM (Old Computer?)

I've been meaning to start trying to figure out which websites were offending the most, and haven't attributed the problems to a single website.

Photo Pages (Show me artsy photos of your bike) will tend to be more resource intensive than others.

There was a big recent update to BikeForums including WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) for the editor. It does improve typing a bit, but could potentially take more resources than you are used to.

It looks like you can turn off the WYSIWYG under the user options (Edit Options, Editor option is near the bottom)
Old 12-10-19, 10:38 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
add more memory or buy a new comp
Old 12-10-19, 01:31 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
add more memory or buy a new comp
Whenever I buy a new (usually used) computer, the first things I do to it are to max out the memory capacity and max out the battery capacity.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-10-19, 01:55 PM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
In Firefox do you use a "tracker block". If not this may be using a lot of computer capacity. I've been using Ghostery, and just recently added uBlock Origin. This new tracker catches a lot of unwanted trackers. Try it and see if it makes your computer run cleaner.
Old 12-10-19, 04:25 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Six apps open on my desktop currently, including Bike Forums in a Chrome tab, CPU usage hovering around 4%. Seems about right.
I'm running between 2 and 4% on a six year old iMac in a Win 10 Bootcamp partition. Doubt BF is causing any problems.

Old 12-10-19, 07:36 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
As I mentioned before, browsers vary in performance from time to time. If you have a powerful enough PC and fast internet connection you probably won't even notice. My 2012 entry level laptop really shows the differences in browser performance. And my area still has rock bottom performance DSL, with no true broadband expected, ever. They figure this neighborhood has no commercial businesses that need broadband, most TV viewers are on cable or satellite, and most other folks use their mobile data plans.

For most of the past couple of months Firefox performance took a serious hit on my laptop, with the Task Manager showing excessive CPU and power usage. CPU and power consumption were redlined even with only a single window open. It didn't correspond with extensions or Firefox's built in controls for ads and tracking. It didn't affect my desktop with quad core CPU and more memory, but really slowed my laptop to a crawl. But the most recent updates seem to have fixed that problem.

Browser extensions, add-ons, etc., to cope with tracking don't always fix performance issues. Some just substitute one problem for another. Hiding ads and blocking tracking sometimes burdens performance with badly designed extensions or those that aren't fully compatible with the current browser version. Mozilla is pretty good about keeping an eye on permitted extensions and occasionally they'll disable one that violations terms of service for privacy or performance.
Old 12-10-19, 09:20 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
reading this thread has drained my resources
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-11-19, 01:06 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Oh,
Another thing to look at. A year or two ago, BikeForums added "Infinite Scroll", then turned it on by default for many users.

I disabled it quite a while ago. I think it was a resource hog, and didn't work smoothly.

https://www.bikeforums.net/profile.php?do=editoptions

About 2/3 the way down there is the option "disable infinite scroll".
Old 12-11-19, 10:05 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8189 Post(s)
Liked 8,844 Times in 4,392 Posts
I don't think OldFart23a is coming back to "Bikeform". Or is it "Bikeforumn"?
Likes For big john:
Old 12-11-19, 11:14 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Both. And maybe Bikefarm.
Old 12-11-19, 12:35 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Guess it's definitely not Bikeforhim
Likes For OldTryGuy:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.