Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-19, 04:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor
If I was riding that bike it sure wouldn't have Gatorskins on it! I used to run them until I found out how much better my bikes feel with GP 4000. Now I am using GP 5000 and they are even better!
Check out the Continental Grand Prix Classics. Good tire if you ever get a hankering for skinwalls. I've been riding a pair since summer, maybe around 1,000 miles so far, no problems. Usually I ride Conti Ultra Sport II because they're cheap and good. The GP Classics feel mayyybe a little plusher on chipseal because the skinwalls are very thin, compared with the Ultra Sport II. But I wouldn't take the Classics on gravel - those skinwalls are translucent, so thin they might nick too easily on a sharp rock.
Old 12-24-19, 05:24 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
https://www.strava.com/activities/2952253435 Eat your heart out Yank... Er I mean Northern folks. 65 degrees with a light southern breeze. Riding my Purple Haze. I just posted this to get us off page 3.
Since this is a graveyard pic, here is some localish to you trivia. If you have ridden west through St. Jo or Muenster you might have passed a M & S or Scott Funeral Home. Up until 2014 or 2015, those were McCoy Funeral Homes. The "McCoy" that owned those was my uncle's(married my father's sister) brother. My uncle owned a number of them in West Texas. Most of that generation has passed on. My 1st cousin still owns one or two in West Texas. His first cousin was the one that sold the homes to the current owner. My aunt passed away in the fall of this year. There were a number of brothers in that family. One of the other brothers(oil business, not funeral) is/was the grandfather of Colt McCoy, of UT/Washington Redskins fame. Needless to say, they have good access to NFL tickets and boxes at Jerry's stadium.

The catch phrase my uncle had on his business card was: We'll be the last ones to let our friends down.
Old 12-24-19, 06:07 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Is that the access road around Bowie and Sunset? Good road?I might wander up that direction some day. There are some good and safe highway access roads here west of Foat Wuth. I ride 'em a lot for training or when I don't feel like exploring (translation: getting lost).
Yes that is the Sunset Cemetery. The roads are ok nothing really special. I ride them because that's what we have and I can ride from home. From my house I do the full service road loop and back home. Its right at 30 miles with around 1500' of elevation.
Likes For TXsailor:
Old 12-24-19, 06:16 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, the terrain profile looks similar to here. Maybe a bit steeper up your way.

Been a few years but I remember that area well. My grandparents owned some property in Bowie and Sunset back in the 1960s-'80s. They'd often stop to visit the fellow who ran that Sunset trading post -- Jack Glover, I think? He wrote some great little self published books. One I remember being tickled about was "The Sex Life of the American Indian." Hilarious. Wish I'd kept it after my grandparents died but I was under deadline to clear out their property for the estate sale and forgot to pick out a few favorite books from my visits to my grandparents' home in Wise County.
Old 12-24-19, 06:16 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Originally Posted by seypat
Since this is a graveyard pic, here is some localish to you trivia. If you have ridden west through St. Jo or Muenster you might have passed a M & S or Scott Funeral Home. Up until 2014 or 2015, those were McCoy Funeral Homes. The "McCoy" that owned those was my uncle's(married my father's sister) brother. My uncle owned a number of them in West Texas. Most of that generation has passed on. My 1st cousin still owns one or two in West Texas. His first cousin was the one that sold the homes to the current owner. My aunt passed away in the fall of this year. There were a number of brothers in that family. One of the other brothers(oil business, not funeral) is/was the grandfather of Colt McCoy, of UT/Washington Redskins fame. Needless to say, they have good access to NFL tickets and boxes at Jerry's stadium.

The catch phrase my uncle had on his business card was: We'll be the last ones to let our friends down.
I haven't rode across to Muenster but we have drove 82 hundreds of times for one reason or another. I remember the McCoy Funeral homes. I have a friend in Nocona that rides over there some. He rode from Nocona to St Joe and back today. His average was 21.8 mph and it was windy today. He has every KOM in that area.
Old 12-24-19, 06:26 PM
TXsailor

Christmas for the real Iron Maiden

She likes it!
Some of you may remember about this time last year I built this bike for my Granddaughter and Robbie Tunes named her the Iron Maiden. Seypat and a few more good BF folks helped with some components. She loves that bike and has put a lot of miles on it this year. Well my son in law had these decals for her for Christmas to put on her Pickup. I can't wait till she gets them tomorrow

She likes it!
Likes For TXsailor:
Old 12-24-19, 06:41 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts

Christmas for the real Iron Maiden

She likes it!
Some of you may remember about this time last year I built this bike for my Granddaughter and Robbie Tunes named her the Iron Maiden. Seypat and a few more good BF folks helped with some components. She loves that bike and has put a lot of miles on it this year. Well my son in law had these decals for her for Christmas to put on her Pickup. I can't wait till she gets them tomorrow

She likes it!
Just... AWESOME!
Old 12-24-19, 07:37 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Just... AWESOME!
+1. That's exactly what I was going to post.
Old 12-24-19, 08:44 PM
TXsailor

Originally Posted by canklecat
Yeah, the terrain profile looks similar to here. Maybe a bit steeper up your way.

Been a few years but I remember that area well. My grandparents owned some property in Bowie and Sunset back in the 1960s-'80s. They'd often stop to visit the fellow who ran that Sunset trading post -- Jack Glover, I think? He wrote some great little self published books. One I remember being tickled about was "The Sex Life of the American Indian." Hilarious. Wish I'd kept it after my grandparents died but I was under deadline to clear out their property for the estate sale and forgot to pick out a few favorite books from my visits to my grandparents' home in Wise County.
I'm pretty sure Jack has passed away. Wendell Philips who owns a wrecking yard just to the north of the old museum has truck beds in front of the building. Sad story Bowie had a really cool train station that was no longer in use. It was donated to Jack and loaded on a truck. Some A-hole set it on fire before they could get it to Sunset. I rode past there today...and yesterday and 182 more times.
Old 12-25-19, 09:34 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts

Changed Bars/Levers/Cables, added a Titanium Vetta SL Saddle.

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 12-28-19 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Adding another pic
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 12-25-19, 09:43 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
Saw this 87? Expert on Cl at a low price end of August. Drove up to Portland burbs to have a look. Seller was a very tall young cyclist, selling for his tall sister, who had figured out it couldn't be made to fit. Brought it home check-out ride confirmed the straight bar won't work for me. I had a Cinelli stem with Criterium bar, but after missing out on some 105 brake levers, went with some Shimano 600 from NW Hub. Will start a thread when I do the overhaul. Don

Pic with this vintage Oliver tractor was taken nearby, South of Aumsville and West of Stayton, OR.
Yes an '87. Nice acquisition and Merry Christmas .
Old 12-25-19, 11:07 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
^^^^^^ Christmas colors.
Old 12-25-19, 05:54 PM
TXsailor

Speaking of Christmas my daughter had a nice surprise for me. My wife must have thought I was good too she gave me a Silca floor pump, a third hand tool & Slay the Badger DVD.

Old 12-25-19, 08:08 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
My biggest Christmas gift this year has been being able to come to this forum and not deal with drama. I'm the treasurer for my local Romance Writers of America chapter and it's just insane and I don't want to talk to anyone who knows anything about writing romance novels or the RWA Ethics board.

My son got a trainer for his Trek, so he'll stay off my Ironman, hopefully. It was really a gift for me. He also got a Cateye Velo 9 computer and he wants to "race" me. Game on!

Happy holidays!

Someday, it'll be orange and white, but he's not complaining now.

Last edited by TriBiker19; 12-25-19 at 10:18 PM.
Likes For TriBiker19:
Old 12-26-19, 10:19 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 78 Posts
https://www.outsideonline.com/240468...nation-arizona

Here's a beautiful article and accompanying video about a remarkable person, Dr Chip Thomas, who's been a family practice physician on the Navajo Reservation in Arizona for over 30 years, and is also a very accomplished photographer and artist. He has been a lifetime athlete and cyclist---among many other things he was team doctor on the 'AfricaTrek' trans-Africa bike ride (N to S) back in the 90s. He's also a very old friend of mine, dating back to our boyhoods, and I once helped him deliver a baby; by 'helped' I mean that I held the mother's hand and cleaned up afterward.

But why am I posting about Chip here? Well, go to about the 1:00 mark in the video and you'll see!

Last edited by Chicago Al; 12-26-19 at 11:17 AM.
Likes For Chicago Al:
Old 12-26-19, 11:19 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Pretty cool. Makes me miss my MV.

Old 12-27-19, 05:37 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Somebody grab this if only for those lovely hoods. Yesterday, the asking price was $125. Now its 150.
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...042920090.html

Old 12-27-19, 07:03 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by Classtime
Somebody grab this if only for those lovely hoods. Yesterday, the asking price was $125. Now its 150.
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...042920090.html

Oh wow that'that's NICE. Yeah somebody is getting a good deal on a great bike. That's a '89 Master, guaranteed to blow your mind.

Whats up @markwesti ? Was santa good to you this year or did he forget your address like he did mine?
o
Old 12-28-19, 08:12 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Tried to edit in a current pic to my Post # 8028 above, but it just displaced the original comment & pics which are preserved in # 8029 below. Oh well....Don
Old 12-31-19, 03:27 PM
texaspandj

Well a new year and new decade coming yet same old me. But wait, actually my plans for the coming fitness year have changed some. Initially I was gonna concentrate on winning a trophy in the grand masters category of our local triathlon in July. However, I've decided instead to get into Fight Fit shape. And I'll let the cards play out as they may in our local triathlon. For me fight shape means being able to go three 5 minute rounds grappling, three 5 minute rounds boxing, and three 5 minute rounds kickboxing consecutively. Basically just getting back in shape for wherever the fight goes. I basically just teach more of that than apply it and I want to apply it more. It's just what's more important to me personally right now. Not only is it my livelihood but it's my passion.
I'll still continue running/roadwork and biking. But my cycling will be at a higher intensity. Making each ride count, do less junk miles. Honestly I enjoy the work. Tempo ride, endurance ride , and interval/speed work will be all I'm doing. I think my interval work will be with group rides. I seem to do intervals with group rides whether I want to or not.
What are your plans Ironkids?
Happy New Year....and don't forget to grease your seatpost.

Last edited by texaspandj; 12-31-19 at 07:57 PM.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 12-31-19, 03:38 PM
VintageTTfan

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by norcalmike
His and hers MVs
Thanks to the forums for leading me to both of these.
They both need a refresh but they are both super clean and mostly original.
I just pulled hers out of the shipping box and threw it together quick.
Nice! Like that yellow Rolls saddle! Looks good on the Miami Vice....Don't see many Rolls in that color. How do you like the feel of the saddle......It is the most comfortable I have ever owned.....I don't even feel the saddle at all....is like air......mine is honey brown leather.
Old 12-31-19, 04:42 PM
norcalmike

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
Nice! Like that yellow Rolls saddle! Looks good on the Miami Vice....Don't see many Rolls in that color. How do you like the feel of the saddle......It is the most comfortable I have ever owned.....I don't even feel the saddle at all....is like air......mine is honey brown leather.
I love them. I found the yellow one a couple years ago on the bay. I remember it being pretty cheap too.
My 86 peloton still has the stock white one.
I have 2 others on the shelf. One I bought local for 20 bucks. The other came on a bike I parted.
Likes For norcalmike:
Old 12-31-19, 07:58 PM
TXsailor

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Well a new year and new decade coming yet same old me. But wait, actually my plans for the coming fitness year have changed some. Initially I was gonna concentrate on winning a trophy in the grand masters category of our local triathlon in July. However, I've decided instead to get into Fight Fit shape. And I'll let the cards play out as they may in our local triathlon. For me fight shape means being able to go three 5 minute rounds grappling, three 5 minute rounds boxing, and three 5 minute rounds kickboxing consecutively. Basically just getting back in shape for wherever the fight goes. I basically just teach more of that than apply it and I want to apply it more. It's just what's more important to me personally right now. Not only is it my livelihood but it's my passion.
I'll still continue ruining/roadwork and biking. But my cycling will be at a higher intensity. Making each ride count, do less junk miles. Honestly I enjoy the work. Tempo ride, endurance ride , and interval/speed work will be all I'm doing. I think my interval work will be with group rides. I seem to do intervals with group rides whether I want to or not.
What are your plans Ironkids?
Happy New Year....and don't forget to grease your seatpost.
My plans are to hopefully retire this spring and ride all I can with my daughter & granddaughter. They are busy and our schedules clash but if mine is more relaxed I can better make it fit theirs. My granddaughter the Iron Maiden & I got a last ride of the year in today and it was a delight. That girl rides her Ironman like she was born to. Sorry no pictures
Likes For TXsailor:
Old 01-01-20, 04:43 PM
seypat

Goals? We're supposed to have cycling goals? That might take the fun out of it for me.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-01-20, 04:55 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Goals? We're supposed to have cycling goals? That might take the fun out of it for me.
I rode today. Yesterday, I didn't ride, but I worked on a bike. Therefore, I've achieved my current cycling goals.

Actually, I'll probably work on another bike later today, which means I will have exceeded my current cycling goals.

Hey, this goal thing is cool.
Likes For madpogue:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.