Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Trek Checkpoint rear wheel alignment

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Trek Checkpoint rear wheel alignment

Old 01-10-20, 02:19 PM
eastsideride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rubberdduck View Post
I am Not concerned about the asymmetry of the chainstays. It"s the misalignment of the seat stays that I worry about. Because independently from the asymmetry of the Chain stays the dropouts should bei symmetricaly behind the seat Tube or am I wrong? Ist the fact that the DS drop out is a bit more to the right a consequence of the asymmetry of the chainstays?
Hey there, Mitch from Trek here. You should not need to adjust anything on your rear wheel. This is apart of the design for the Checkpoint to have the wheel off centered for the chainline as our team mentioned to you. You should just focus on riding and enjoying the bike! The Checkpoint is a lot of fun and such a capable bike if you like being able to ride more than one place.
Likes For eastsideride:
Old 01-10-20, 02:49 PM
shelbyfv
Banned.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 290 Posts
And there you have it. Thanks Mitch for putting this to bed.
Old 01-10-20, 03:48 PM
Cpn_Dunsel

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
And there you have it. Thanks Mitch for putting this to bed.

Sure. Always listen to unknown corporate voices that have a vested interest in protecting a company more than an individual.

Seriously, it is more legit to have non-corporate people, with no vested interest, who are experienced with the situation, speak to the issue. And they have.

So long as Trek continues to tell me its ok to run a press fit BB on a gravel bike I will have a very hard time listening to anything they have to say without serious skepticism. When they finally come clean on that issue then maybe I will give them some credence. Also, just because it is designed that way on purpose does not ensure that it is a good design. The idea that they are a final word on anything is silly, to me.

Real world experience from people that paid their own money means infinitely more and is likelier to be true than whatever a corporate spokesperson has to offer.

fwiw: I am not arguing this persons is wrong just that by dint of being a corporate person, they have no greater reason, and perhaps less, to be believed on anything.

~ 30 ~

Last edited by Cpn_Dunsel; 01-10-20 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-10-20, 04:09 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel View Post
Sure. Always listen to unknown corporate voices that have a vested interest in protecting a company more than an individual.

Seriously, it is more legit to have non-corporate people, with no vested interest, who are experienced with the situation, speak to the issue. And they have.

So long as Trek continues to tell me its ok to run a press fit BB on a gravel bike I will have a very hard time listening to anything they have to say without serious skepticism. When they finally come clean on that issue then maybe I will give them some credence. Also, just because it is designed that way on purpose does not ensure that it is a good design. The idea that they are a final word on anything is silly, to me.

Real world experience from people that paid their own money means infinitely more and is likelier to be true than whatever a corporate spokesperson has to offer.

fwiw: I am not arguing this persons is wrong just that by dint of being a corporate person, they have no greater reason, and perhaps less, to be believed on anything.

~ 30 ~
I find it hard to believe someone telling me that if your rear while is true, but doesn't line up correctly in the frame, then it's all cool to ride it because that's the way we made it.
I also cry BS to Trek's explanation about this frame.
Old 01-10-20, 07:29 PM
shelbyfv
Banned.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 290 Posts
I guess it's possible the entire run of bikes turned out differently than designed but that seems unlikely. Whether any of us likes the design seems irrelevant to someone who has the bike and wonders if his is as it should be.