Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Standing on the Bike ???

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Standing on the Bike ???

Old 01-20-20, 01:19 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I don't recall ever having a problem with it. My 5yo kid can't yet on his single but has done it on the back of the tandem - rather the opposite of most people, probably.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-21-20, 01:32 AM
Zuzus pedals

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
A guy I used to train with had a bad habit of jerking the bike backward about 6 inches whenever he stood to accelerate or climb.
Some people say you should yell "Standing!" when you're about to lift up out of the saddle just in case somebody's right behind you. You will almost always lose some momentum briefly, which can be a problem for the guy who's right on your wheel.
Old 01-21-20, 10:22 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
These are in my future, based on my injury related bike fit last week...

I was never very comfortable standing on climbs, could drop people still seated. But that was 30 years ago. Today, I am very uncomfortable standing on the bike, due to a knee issue and the opposite ankle needing fusion I have to stand from time to time on my tainer, as my butt needs relief. But I always slow. I'm in an AFO (ankle foot orthosis) brace, and I can stand a little better than without it, on the bike. But the Catalyst pedals will be very soon... I do have to move to a midfoot placement for the ankle.
Likes For zjrog:
Old 01-21-20, 11:00 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
not bragging or judging, but if I could not stand when riding I would quit

no way I could sit for even an hour
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 01-26-20, 09:03 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
Is rocking the bike side to side when standing considered good form or poor form? I feel like the pros rock the living fawk out of the bike side to side in a sprint.
Old 01-27-20, 04:22 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
Is rocking the bike side to side when standing considered good form or poor form? I feel like the pros rock the living fawk out of the bike side to side in a sprint.
Poor form or good form, there is no way around it - you won't be able to maintain a straight line and put maximum torque through the pedals without leaning the bike the opposite way to counteract the torque you're putting down. Just physics.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 01-28-20, 03:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
Poor form or good form, there is no way around it - you won't be able to maintain a straight line and put maximum torque through the pedals without leaning the bike the opposite way to counteract the torque you're putting down. Just physics.

I don't know if it's good form or not, but I started doing this crazy maneuver where I stand with one hand on the hood and the other on the drop and rock the living crap out of the bike. I've never actually tried to figure out if there's any real benefit to it because it feels so goofy I just enjoy the hell out of it.
Old 01-28-20, 04:13 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 01-28-20, 04:49 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I can stand up on a bike while riding, no problem. But I, too have difficulty standing up on the pedals while on a steep climb. I might be able to raise my butt off the saddle a little bit but as far as a full stand I find it hard to do for some reason.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 01-28-20, 05:26 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
not bragging or judging, but if I could not stand when riding I would quit

no way I could sit for even an hour

Why would that be? Because you could not sit for an hour? Is there something wrong with your fit?

Our rides average 2.5 hours. No standing, only at water fill points.
Old 01-28-20, 05:33 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Standing up frequently is a necessity for me. I could never climb hills on my fixed gear or singlespeed bikes without standing up.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-28-20, 07:59 PM
Moishe
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 44 Posts
It’s all here mates, everything you need to know how to ride out of the saddle:

Likes For Moishe:
Old 01-28-20, 08:16 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Mountain biking is a great way to learn and practise how to ride while standing on the pedals. The nature of mountain biking is such that it forces you to get out of the saddle very often especially when riding on technical terrain.
I second this 👍
Old 01-28-20, 08:30 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
Why would that be? Because you could not sit for an hour? Is there something wrong with your fit?

Our rides average 2.5 hours. No standing, only at water fill points.
gotta keep the blood flowing man! Always stand on climbs, sometimes on downhills coasts too. Just like being a kid again
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 01-29-20, 06:34 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
NO REAL HILLS here in SW FL so standing while in 53/12 for 2 to 3 mile segments into the wind helps make up for the lack of elevation rise.
Old 01-29-20, 06:56 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts
A group I ride with has one ride which has many hills. Haven't seen anyone having a problem standing. I grew up in W.Va., so being able to stand on the bike was necessary. Also rode motorcycles, on and off-road and still bicycle on and off-road. Never thought about standing as anything special, guess I just thought it was something everyone could do.
Old 01-29-20, 08:17 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
Maybe it's from my history of playing hockey and riding BMX growing up, but I stand a lot. When doing long climbs I will stand a little, sit a little. I have tried sitting the whole way and when I mix in a little standing here and there I not only get there faster but I feel like I have more left in the tank when I get to the top. I guess because standing uses different muscles than sitting. I can't stand the whole way though.
Old 01-29-20, 08:44 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
My wife has this trouble. IMO, it's because she learned to ride as an adult.

When you're young, you experiment a lot. If you're riding a bike (my siblings and I practically lived on our bikes from ages 5 to about 11 or 12), then you experiment on a bike. Stand, skid, jump, ride no-hands, bash into stuff, and so on and so forth. You try stuff and figure it out, and have a hell of a time doing it.

Adults, on the other hand, get used to knowing what they're doing. When they try something new, they are not as open to experimenting, failing, practicing, failing some more, etc. Whether it is riding a bike, or skiing, or any other activity, most adults get to a point where they are reasonably competent at doing the basics, and that's it. Most adults don't find it fun to try stupid stuff to see what works.

As far as standing while riding: your balance is constantly shifting. The balance between pressure on your right foot, left foot, right hand, left hand, fore and aft balance, is always in flux. Your head is constantly moving around, which, if you're not used to it, can throw off your balance. You have to get used to feeling unstable and to controlling your body in three (four? time?) dimensions. It takes practice. If you're not willing to put in hours of practice, and look utterly stupid while doing so, you're not going to learn.

Last edited by noimagination; 01-29-20 at 01:25 PM.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 01-29-20, 12:55 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination

When you're young, you experiment a lot. If you're riding a bike (my siblings and I practically lived on our bikes from ages 5 to about 11 or 12), then you experiment on a bike. Stand, skid, jump, ride no-hands, bash into stuff, and so on and so forth. You try stuff and figure it out, and have a hell of a time doing it.

LOL. I remember a time as a teenager riding into a snow pile in a parking lot. We would go as fast as we could into the pile, the bike would sink in and instantly stop, we would push off and fly over the handlebars over the pile and eventually "land" and slide on some body part in the snow on a steep hill behind the pile. Rinse lather repeat. It was a blast until my friend eventually broke though the pile kind of still on the bike and went down the hill at an angle and into a block wall. It was still funny to me but not him. I have no idea what bike handling skills that taught us but it was fun. I grew up in suburbs of Pittsburgh with a BMX bike, riding without standing was not an option. My street was brick and sections were over 30 degrees.

Last edited by u235; 01-29-20 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-29-20, 01:19 PM
noimagination

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
LOL. I remember a time as a teenager riding into a snow pile in a parking lot. We would go as fast as we could into the pile, the bike would sink in and instantly stop, we would push off and fly over the handlebars over the pile and eventually "land" and slide on some body part in the snow on a steep hill behind the pile. Rinse lather repeat. It was a blast until my friend eventually broke though the pile kind of still on the bike and went down the hill at an angle and into a block wall. It was still funny to me but not him. I have no idea what bike handling skills that taught us but it was fun. I grew up in suburbs of Pittsburgh with a BMX bike, riding without standing was not an option.
Only tangentially related, but this reminds me of an incident:

I was up at a ski house near Killington. We had typical New England weather: it rained over night and then froze. The skiing sucked. There were, what, 5 or so bored twenty something guys hanging around the house.
We decide to go to Suicide Six to go tobogganing. I don't remember why, but on the way we decided not to do it (we probably didn't want to pay for the lift tickets). We passed a day care (it was the weekend, so it was closed) with a nice stair-stepped hill (hill, flat, hill, flat, rail fence, road). We were barely able to walk up the hill, it was so icy. This should have warned us, but no (there may have been some fermented barley and hops involved). The guy in front chips some footholds in the ice so he can hold the sled while we loaded, the five of us pile onto the toboggan (5 full size guys = packed sled), and away we go.
Now, the hills were fairly steep and fairly long, the ice was very slippery (as we had established walking up), and the toboggan was loaded with about 5 x 170 lb = 850 lb (low, very low, estimate). So, needless to say, we got going at a fairly good clip. Meanwhile, the fence (and, then, the road) was coming up VERY fast with no way to slow or turn. We all bailed out of the sled (which wasn't easy, as packed-in as we were), going at a high rate of speed, onto glare ice. We were all bruised and scraped up, and laughing our a**es off. We were HOWLING. I couldn't breath for a good 10 min.
We only did it once (I know that I, at least, was afraid to die), but it was memorable.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 01-29-20, 01:40 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I can stand up on a bike while riding, no problem. But I, too have difficulty standing up on the pedals while on a steep climb. I might be able to raise my butt off the saddle a little bit but as far as a full stand I find it hard to do for some reason.
Have you tried leaning forward, or is it a balance issue when on an incline?
Old 01-29-20, 02:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by chadtrent
Maybe it's from my history of playing hockey and riding BMX growing up, but I stand a lot. When doing long climbs I will stand a little, sit a little. I have tried sitting the whole way and when I mix in a little standing here and there I not only get there faster but I feel like I have more left in the tank when I get to the top. I guess because standing uses different muscles than sitting. I can't stand the whole way though.
Originally Posted by noimagination

Adults, on the other hand, get used to knowing what they're doing. When they try something new, they are not as open to experimenting, failing, practicing, failing some more, etc. Whether it is riding a bike, or skiing, or any other activity, most adults get to a point where they are reasonably competent at doing the basics, and that's it. Most adults don't find it fun to try stupid stuff to see what works.

As far as standing while riding: your balance is constantly shifting. The balance between pressure on your right foot, left foot, right hand, left hand, fore and aft balance, is always in flux. Your head is constantly moving around, which, if you're not used to it, can throw off your balance. You have to get used to feeling unstable and to controlling your body in three (four? time?) dimensions. It takes practice. If you're not willing to put in hours of practice, and look utterly stupid while doing so, you're not going to learn.
Funny, it never occurred to me that someone who can pedal a bike could find standing problematic, but I think that's because I learned it at such a young age that it feels as natural as walking to me. Come to think of it, it's actually closer to a walking motion than is riding on the saddle. so I suspect it's more of a matter of learning to trust your own sense of balance in a different position than it is comparative difficulty of balance in the saddle vs. standing.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-29-20, 02:20 PM
aclinjury

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I tore my right tricep and right rotatorcuff. That was my dominant side and is now my weak side. I have the leg and core strength but not the right shoulder strength to stand and press for long periods. I can usually stand and pedal up an incline for about 60 strokes before I have to sit because I can no longer hold my weight on the right side.

I once was able to complete sets of push-ups totaling 300 now I struggle to do 40. Really sucks when trying to be a better climber.
There was video of Nibali doing pushups. He could barely do 20. So ability to do pushups correlates very little with ability to out of the saddle.
Old 01-29-20, 02:23 PM
aclinjury

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
nice meat grinder! I'd wear jeans or shin guards!
Old 01-29-20, 05:01 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I can't stand on my recumbent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.