Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Custom build or ready one?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Custom build or ready one?

Old 01-11-20, 03:18 AM
  #1  
Arkadietz
tux
Thread Starter
 
Arkadietz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Sofia/Bulgaria
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Custom build or ready one?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I am hoping I will face a lot of friends here.
I am dilemma between this decision to make a custom project or to buy a ready one.

But lets we explain the stuff one by one.
I am from Bulgaria. I am high 177cm. The budget I set is around 800 euro. I am looking for a modern geometry (it's hard for me to understand and make a difference which are with old and new)
Should I go with 29 or 27.5?
I am a fan of Shimano so prefer it instead SRAM for example. Regarding the fork i would like to have ROCKSHOX 2019/2020 Air
If someone more advanced is already goes trough this path I will be thankful for his advises and help.

So on the topic.
List with best online sites I can buy parts. In the moment the following list I have found for me is below. Mostly I want looking for sites in Germany or UK
- Bike discount
- RCZ bikeshop
- Chainreactioncycles
- HiBike
- Wiggle

Ready bikes:
- Cube 29 CUBE ATTENTION SL BLK BLU (2020)
- ORYX NINE X22 29
Arkadietz is offline  
Old 01-11-20, 09:14 AM
  #2  
krecik
Senior Member
 
krecik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Tredegar, Wales
Posts: 227

Bikes: coastie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Hi,

First off, welcome to BF

How much experience do you have with using tools and fixing bikes? Do you have all the tools necessary?

My advice depends on your answer to those.

Kret
krecik is offline  
Old 01-11-20, 12:25 PM
  #3  
Arkadietz
tux
Thread Starter
 
Arkadietz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Sofia/Bulgaria
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krecik View Post
Hi,

First off, welcome to BF

How much experience do you have with using tools and fixing bikes? Do you have all the tools necessary?

My advice depends on your answer to those.

Kret

It's not a rocket siense. If there is some tool missed easily will buy it.
Also I have a friend Manager of cycling shop and on the same time velo mecahinic.
Arkadietz is offline  
Old 01-11-20, 02:47 PM
  #4  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 5,709

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 196 Posts
Generally it is more cost effective to purchase a complete bike rather than build up a frame. Manufacturers can buy components cheaper than you can retail.
Of course that doesn't stop many of us from building up a frame to get exactly what we want that isn't readily available "off the shelf". You have to shop smart and find deals.
dedhed is offline  
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-11-20, 03:07 PM
  #5  
Arkadietz
tux
Thread Starter
 
Arkadietz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Sofia/Bulgaria
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
Generally it is more cost effective to purchase a complete bike rather than build up a frame. Manufacturers can buy components cheaper than you can retail.
Of course that doesn't stop many of us from building up a frame to get exactly what we want that isn't readily available "off the shelf". You have to shop smart and find deals.
Yeah I am aware that i should searching for the smart deals. The point is if I should get a complete bike for this money what's the best I can get?
And what's make it better than other once.

Thank you.
Arkadietz is offline  
Old 01-11-20, 04:02 PM
  #6  
ironwood
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Boston area
Posts: 1,896

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Do you have a bike now?
ironwood is offline  
Old 01-11-20, 04:37 PM
  #7  
Arkadietz
tux
Thread Starter
 
Arkadietz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Sofia/Bulgaria
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood View Post
Do you have a bike now?
No.
Arkadietz is offline  
Old 01-11-20, 04:40 PM
  #8  
krecik
Senior Member
 
krecik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Tredegar, Wales
Posts: 227

Bikes: coastie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Arkadietz View Post
Yeah I am aware that i should searching for the smart deals. The point is if I should get a complete bike for this money what's the best I can get?
And what's make it better than other once.

Thank you.
Based on the examples of the ready bikes that you provided, what you want looks to be a gravel bike. If you're aiming for mid to top-brand components, you'll need to double your budget in my estimation.

Last year I built up a bike that I estimated to cost me 400, it ended up costing me around 800, even with low to mid end components, mainly because I had to buy tools, some of which were pricey, I had little experience, I made bad purchases, had to buy components twice, etc... But I ended up with the exact kind of bike I wanted, that I couldn't buy anywhere.

You may be able to avoid most of these problems because you have an experienced friend in the field who might lend you help and tools when you need them but if the bike you want doesn't feature any specific things on it that you can't find on any other bike, there's really no point in building it from scratch.

TL;DR: If you can find the kind of bike you want for cheaper, don't bother building, there's really no point if it's not a specific bike, unless of course you just want to have fun building it. Double your budget, or look for deals on ebay, much cheaper than industry shops like chain reaction cycles etc...

Kret
krecik is offline  
Old 01-11-20, 04:44 PM
  #9  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 9,660

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3681 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
For an 800 euro budget, buy an already built bike.
mstateglfr is online now  
Old 01-11-20, 04:59 PM
  #10  
Arkadietz
tux
Thread Starter
 
Arkadietz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Sofia/Bulgaria
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krecik View Post
Based on the examples of the ready bikes that you provided, what you want looks to be a gravel bike. If you're aiming for mid to top-brand components, you'll need to double your budget in my estimation.

Last year I built up a bike that I estimated to cost me 400, it ended up costing me around 800, even with low to mid end components, mainly because I had to buy tools, some of which were pricey, I had little experience, I made bad purchases, had to buy components twice, etc... But I ended up with the exact kind of bike I wanted, that I couldn't buy anywhere.

You may be able to avoid most of these problems because you have an experienced friend in the field who might lend you help and tools when you need them but if the bike you want doesn't feature any specific things on it that you can't find on any other bike, there's really no point in building it from scratch.

TL;DR: If you can find the kind of bike you want for cheaper, don't bother building, there's really no point if it's not a specific bike, unless of course you just want to have fun building it. Double your budget, or look for deals on ebay, much cheaper than industry shops like chain reaction cycles etc...

Kret
Thank you for your feedback.

Well may be I will aim for a complete bike than.
Could be possible to recommend me some?
Arkadietz is offline  
Old 01-11-20, 05:12 PM
  #11  
krecik
Senior Member
 
krecik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Tredegar, Wales
Posts: 227

Bikes: coastie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Arkadietz View Post
Thank you for your feedback.

Well may be I will aim for a complete bike than.
Could be possible to recommend me some?
Couldn't tell you. I've got very little idea about gravel bikes, only that they can get pricey.

What you suggested looks good but I'd wait for some more suggestions from other members, they may be able to help.

You can always post another question in general forums asking for gravel bike suggestions?

Kret
krecik is offline  
Old 01-11-20, 06:00 PM
  #12  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 5,709

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by krecik View Post

You can always post another question in general forums asking for gravel bike suggestions?

Kret
Make sure they understand you are in Bulgaria as that may limit your choices somewhat.
dedhed is offline  
Old 01-12-20, 06:33 AM
  #13  
shelbyfv
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,014
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 290 Posts
Go to a bike shop. Tell them how you will use the bike and your budget. Buy what they recommend. I doubt any other plan will work out well for you.
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 01-12-20, 07:24 AM
  #14  
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2,340

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 130 Posts
I would suggest you buy one being you don't have a bike. Not knowing your building skills I say buy. Your next bike you should build. Building is awesome!
sdmc530 is offline  
Old 01-12-20, 10:45 AM
  #15  
Arkadietz
tux
Thread Starter
 
Arkadietz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Sofia/Bulgaria
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
Go to a bike shop. Tell them how you will use the bike and your budget. Buy what they recommend. I doubt any other plan will work out well for you.
In Bulgaria these not working on this way.

Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
Make sure they understand you are in Bulgaria as that may limit your choices somewhat.
Basically the brands here are: Scott, Specialized, Cube, Cross, Oryx, Drag, Dartmoor, RAM and Pulse.
Arkadietz is offline  
Old 01-12-20, 05:11 PM
  #16  
shelbyfv
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,014
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 290 Posts
Originally Posted by Arkadietz View Post
In Bulgaria these not working on this way.
Surprised they don't have bike shops in Bulgaria. Guess you are out of luck
shelbyfv is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.