Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Indestructible all rounder, assume weight isn’t a factor

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Indestructible all rounder, assume weight isn’t a factor

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-20, 12:03 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by ndrose
I’m a fan of REI. Bought a lot of camping/backpacking stuff from them over the years and generally been happy. Not sure what to think of a company that does a lot of other things also manufacturing bikes. I’m curious to hear opinions.

On paper, they look like great specs for the price. I’m especially interested in the ADV 1.1.

In addition to the manufacturing, I wonder about assembly. Do they have bike mechanics doing it, or will it be put together by someone who rotated out of paddle sports last week? Anyone have experiences good or bad?
REIs have a bike shop in each store (at least in all the ones I’ve been into around the country). The shops usually do other work but they have competent bicycle mechanics on site.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-23-20, 12:06 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts

Swiss Army Bicycle
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 01-23-20, 12:42 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
While I agree that wheels can be changed, the issue is that they shouldn’t need to be changed for the intended purpose.
Except that, besides not agreeing with Internet Cyclotourism Orthodoxy, I have seen no evidence that they do need to be changed. As many have claimed before, and both you and I disagreed, that aluminum bikes are somehow not adequate for one application or another, at some point we should be able to say, "hmm, Trek, largest and one of the most respected American bike companies thinks 28 spokes and an aluminum frame is sufficient, perhaps I can take their word for it".

Related, the 520 is less of a niche item, and it's getting crap for having an aluminum fork, which, again, disagrees with Internet Cyclotourism Orthodoxy, but nobody actually has any specific concerns other than 'steel is real'
Old 01-23-20, 01:32 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts

What bike does he pull off the rack?
Easy: A Rodriguez UTB.

I have a similar variant. A Rodriguez High Roller Disc. 29 pounds with racks, fenders, lights, bottle cages, & pedals. It has a Son28 dynamo, a Rollhoff hub with Gebla system, oversized ThermLX tubing from Vari-Wall that is usually reserved for tandems, S&S couplings, Aluminum tandem forks supporting all-round180mm discs on 26 inch wheels with clearance for 2 inch mountain knobbies...and custom geometry for my personal proportions & extended wheel base, by request.

Best "do-all" bike I've ever owned.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 01-23-20, 01:40 PM
ndrose

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
the “6 cm mortar” would be handy for clearing away the cars parked in bike lanes.
Likes For ndrose:
Old 01-23-20, 01:44 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Except that, besides not agreeing with Internet Cyclotourism Orthodoxy, I have seen no evidence that they do need to be changed. As many have claimed before, and both you and I disagreed, that aluminum bikes are somehow not adequate for one application or another, at some point we should be able to say, "hmm, Trek, largest and one of the most respected American bike companies thinks 28 spokes and an aluminum frame is sufficient, perhaps I can take their word for it".

Related, the 520 is less of a niche item, and it's getting crap for having an aluminum fork, which, again, disagrees with Internet Cyclotourism Orthodoxy, but nobody actually has any specific concerns other than 'steel is real'
While there is wisdom in what you say, there is also experience. We...as a group... have loads of experience with aluminum frames and know how tough they are. We also have lots of experience with lower spoke count wheels and know how tough they aren’t. A 32 spoke wheel is vulnerable to spoke breakage on heavily loaded bikes and taking away 4 spokes isn’t going to make them any stronger. Even 36 spoke wheels aren’t in invulnerable to spoke breakage on touring bike. If the bike was designed for road racing use, I’d (probably) have no issue with 28 spoke wheels. But it isn’t designed for carrying a light road racing load. It’s supposed to be designed for heavy loads in a harsh environment.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-23-20, 04:42 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts
One of the nicest bikes I have rehabbed was a 1986 Miyata Trail Runner.

This bike would make a wonderful city bike . It would be equally great as a n Expedition Touring bike or just about any use you would put it to. Tripple butted ccomo tubing with forged dropouts with adjusters, and forged fork ends. I think I weighed it after the build and it came in at just 30 lbs.
Old 01-23-20, 05:09 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
In addition to the manufacturing, I wonder about assembly. Do they have bike mechanics doing it, or will it be put together by someone who rotated out of paddle sports last week? Anyone have experiences good or bad?
Good experience for me. They assemble it and you get a free tune up after you break in the bike.

Also, my new REI bike was properly put together EXCEPT it had a ever so slight "tick" in the crank on every revolution. I tried different pedals to make sure it wasn't my pedals, it wasn't, so I took it back and they fixed it in one day (free of course). The mechanics I dealt with seemed like good mechanics.
Old 01-24-20, 07:15 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
I bought a Novara Safari (2 actually) from REI. Steel frame & fork. Weighs just over 30 pounds stock. Durable touring wheels. Frame fits 2" tires with fenders. Has mounts for disc brakes.
Old 01-24-20, 07:21 PM
stevel610 

If price wasn't an object it would be a Thorn Nomad MK2. Rohloff, Steel Frame, Tonka Yellow!
Old 01-24-20, 08:33 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 987 Times in 519 Posts
The Shop guy walks back to the used rack and pulls down a used Centurion Pro-Tour from late 70s early 80s. Early models had stud mounted centerpulls and post 82 had cantilevers, came with 27" wheels but the swap to 700c is easy.
my 81 has 42mm Schwalbe marathon Plus tours and the 83 has 38mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus.
Great bikes with plenty of brazed on fittings, great chrome under the paint. this 83 will be for sale come Apr.

This one will be going back to the States for my use there

Last edited by bwilli88; 01-24-20 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-24-20, 09:32 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
I've not seen what I would consider a well thought out all rounder ready to go. Surly travellers check or frame like it would be a first choice. Though trek 520 frame would be fine along with the aluminum hubs. King classic hubs with steel drive hell first choice/I9/DT240 built 32h with wheelsmith HD spokes or similar and velocity aileron or dyad rims. King headset, king or Phil bb. Tiagra 10sp groupset is good enough will 48/32 chainrings and 11/34 cassette. Both cassette and chain should be XT level so less corrosion prone. Thompson stem and post, good mid-range aluminum handlebar.Weight will be in the 26lb range but overall build indestructible.
Old 01-24-20, 11:01 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
I bought a Novara Safari (2 actually) from REI. Steel frame & fork. Weighs just over 30 pounds stock. Durable touring wheels. Frame fits 2" tires with fenders. Has mounts for disc brakes.
I found a Novara Safari that was a few years old for $420, IIRC. I’ve stacked about 10k on it, including a tour
and some century days. In fact, I rode it on a 30 mile work commute today. I love that thing. It ain’t pretty, but it sure rolls nice.
Likes For raceboy:
Old 01-25-20, 10:39 AM
cyccommute 

I think what everyone is missing in this discussion is that a bike doesn’t have to weigh like a Abrams tank to be durable. The frame and frame material won’t make much difference as they aren’t parts that fail that often. A frame is just something that you hang parts on. It’s the parts that make the bike durable and “indestructible”. And, even then, some parts are going to be more important than others. Seatpost, stems, handlebars and even the drivetrain aren’t all that susceptible failure and, in actuality, are about as indestructible as most frames.

Probably the most important component when it comes to a bicycle being durable is the wheels. Hubs are fairly durable. Boutique hubs with sealed cartridge bearings are more durable than loose bearing hubs but even loose bearing hubs are quite durable if they are maintained regularly. Rims are slightly less durable but still pretty tough. I’d say that the most important component in terms of durability is the humble spoke. They go through more in terms of stress than any other part of the bike. They are flexed side-to-side in cornering, they undergo regular, frequent, and repeated loading and unloading during rotation, and they undergo complicated twisting during braking. No other part on a bike does that. A rim can be damaged and replaced without much problem. A broken spoke can be an indicator of something seriously wrong. Two broken spokes is an indicator of something wrong.

The Trek 920 above would be nearly indestructible from the factory and it would do it without making a dent in space/time due to it’s gravitational pull. With stronger wheels with more spokes (or just stronger spokes on the low spoke count wheels), it would be indestructible enough for the cockroaches to ride after we are gone.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-26-20, 09:08 AM
stevel610 

Originally Posted by raceboy
I found a Novara Safari that was a few years old for $420, IIRC. I’ve stacked about 10k on it, including a tour
and some century days. In fact, I rode it on a 30 mile work commute today. I love that thing. It ain’t pretty, but it sure rolls nice.
They do ride nicely. One reason I got it is I'm a big guy (240 or so) as wanted a strong bike that wouldn't flex when I hammered.

The 2nd one I bought was for my wife. She likes it as well.
Old 01-26-20, 06:30 PM
dwsmartins

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I think what everyone is missing in this discussion is that a bike doesn’t have to weigh like a Abrams tank to be durable. The frame and frame material won’t make much difference as they aren’t parts that fail that often. A frame is just something that you hang parts on. It’s the parts that make the bike durable and “indestructible”. And, even then, some parts are going to be more important than others. Seatpost, stems, handlebars and even the drivetrain aren’t all that susceptible failure and, in actuality, are about as indestructible as most frames.

Probably the most important component when it comes to a bicycle being durable is the wheels. Hubs are fairly durable. Boutique hubs with sealed cartridge bearings are more durable than loose bearing hubs but even loose bearing hubs are quite durable if they are maintained regularly. Rims are slightly less durable but still pretty tough. I’d say that the most important component in terms of durability is the humble spoke. They go through more in terms of stress than any other part of the bike. They are flexed side-to-side in cornering, they undergo regular, frequent, and repeated loading and unloading during rotation, and they undergo complicated twisting during braking. No other part on a bike does that. A rim can be damaged and replaced without much problem. A broken spoke can be an indicator of something seriously wrong. Two broken spokes is an indicator of something wrong.

The Trek 920 above would be nearly indestructible from the factory and it would do it without making a dent in space/time due to it’s gravitational pull. With stronger wheels with more spokes (or just stronger spokes on the low spoke count wheels), it would be indestructible enough for the cockroaches to ride after we are gone.
I’m sorry, but I must disagree. I’ve already managed to broke a behemoth of a steel frame just by stand on the pedal and stomping hard while on a really low gear. I’m quite heavy, by the way, and I was climbing a quite steep hill (about 20-25%). Frame material will be related to lightness, I guess, but frame build quality is a must for a really durable build.
Old 01-26-20, 07:44 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by dwsmartins
I’m sorry, but I must disagree. I’ve already managed to broke a behemoth of a steel frame just by stand on the pedal and stomping hard while on a really low gear. I’m quite heavy, by the way, and I was climbing a quite steep hill (about 20-25%). Frame material will be related to lightness, I guess, but frame build quality is a must for a really durable build.
I’ve broken 4 frames...2 steel and 2 aluminum...out of 38 bikes. I’ve broken components including a crank and pedals. I’ve also broken lots and lots and lots of wheels. I’ve broken innumerable spokes as well as a large number of rims. While frame breakage is devastating, it’s a lot less frequent than wheel breakage and failure. Everything that a frame goes through, a wheel will see first.

By the way, you didn’t break the frame by simply stomping hard on the pedals in a low gear. The break started long before you got out of the saddle.