Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Clement Silk tires

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-13-20, 12:18 PM
Dolanarc1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 17 Posts

I've inquired once before. But not for a long time. Perhaps we have some new members with some new leads.

In order to refurbish a 1982 Ti Raleigh 753 track bike built in Ilkeston. I'm looking for a pair of vintage Clement track tires,
The best choice would be the Silk #1's second choice silk #3's and then third choice cotton #6's.
I'm not overly concerned if they hold air. I'm just looking for the vintage.

Any help, please message me, cheers
Old 01-13-20, 05:30 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
These do for your project? Clement Tubular Silk Track Tires Clement Sew-Up Tires

As far as sellers, best I can offer are Boulder Bicycle and pb*bikes, both are on ebay, and also will sell dierct through their respective websites. Check in their ebay stores for a quick look.

Ebay search, Sporting goods/Cycling/Vintage Cycling/Vintage Cycling Parts/choose from Tires in the Type category, then Road Racing on the specifics at the top of the page. Several listings, I got 10 pages of varied vintage specialty tires, but you need to wade through the BMX stuff though. Best wishes on your build project, please post pics when you can.

Bill

Disclaimer: I am in inn way associated with any of the above, just what I dug up to help out.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 01-13-20 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-13-20, 06:22 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
Portland, Oregon Craigslist under the bike parts category. Someone has been attempting to sell three Clement Seta tires for quite awhile. They’re priced individually if I remember right, and at least one is claimed to be NOS. Outrageously expensive, but if they were worth it ti you, maybe the seller would ship.

Side note: I’m not affiliated with the seller, and can not vouch for them.
Old 01-13-20, 06:22 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Can't help but I found this photo in my album from the Marin Museum of Bicycling

Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 01-13-20, 06:28 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
These do for your project? Clement Tubular Silk Track Tires Clement Sew-Up Tires

As far as sellers, best I can offer are Boulder Bicycle and pb*bikes, both are on ebay, and also will sell dierct through their respective websites. Check in their ebay stores for a quick look.

Ebay search, Sporting goods/Cycling/Vintage Cycling/Vintage Cycling Parts/choose from Tires in the Type category, then Road Racing on the specifics at the top of the page. Several listings, I got 10 pages of varied vintage specialty tires, but you need to wade through the BMX stuff though. Best wishes on your build project, please post pics when you can.

Bill

Disclaimer: I am in inn way associated with any of the above, just what I dug up to help out.
Tipo No 9's were my favorite track tire decades ago. Great price. But they are not silk, but cotton.
Likes For repechage:
Old 01-14-20, 12:35 PM
Dolanarc1

Thank you for the leads
Old 01-14-20, 06:04 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Tipo No 9's were my favorite track tire decades ago. Great price. But they are not silk, but cotton.
Saw that, just a lead and another batch of sellers in the usual suggestions every ebay listing has tagged on, is all The seller needs to be told though, its his list and title.

Originally Posted by Dolanarc1
Thank you for the leads
Hope that it helps some.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 01-14-20 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-14-20, 06:33 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 217 Posts
[QUOTE=deux jambes;21283085]Portland, Oregon Craigslist under the bike parts category. Someone has been attempting to sell three Clement Seta tires for quite awhile. They’re priced individually if I remember right, and at least one is claimed to be NOS. Outrageously expensive, but if they were worth it ti you, maybe the seller would ship.

Side note: I’m not affiliated with the seller, and can not vouch for them.

[/I looked at the listing. Thought maybe I could help expedite. However, these tires are actually in Everett WA.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/b...043463534.html
Old 01-14-20, 06:54 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
https://www.ebay.it/itm/CLEMENT-SETA...4AAOSwtgxd7WA7
Likes For iab:
Old 01-14-20, 07:16 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni

[/I looked at the listing. Thought maybe I could help expedite. However, these tires are actually in Everett WA.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/b...043463534.html
Thanks for the correction. I live in Eugene, but sometimes search Portland CL if I’m looking for something specific. I failed to notice the tires are in WA. Must have shown up in the “near by” results.
Old 01-14-20, 10:05 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by deux jambes
Thanks for the correction. I live in Eugene, but sometimes search Portland CL if I’m looking for something specific. I failed to notice the tires are in WA. Must have shown up in the “near by” results.
No big deal. It is funny how the search works sometimes. Really, I was just hoping I would be able to help someone spend their money. Spending my own? That’s another story. Missed out on something yesterday because I second guessed myself. Arrrgh!
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 01-16-20, 05:14 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Quite a few to choose from, first try search on eBay.

Here's a proclaimed never used from Finland for only $35 + 22.50 shipping. Enter item 274092663370

These would be neat for your Raleigh presentation-
Enter item 333138530517
Old 01-16-20, 08:51 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
I have this pair of track Clememt Setas my brother got for me as a Christmas present when he took a trip to London in 1969. I believe he bought them from Pat Hanlon's shop that was located a few blocks away from Hetchins when he was still located in Tottenham. I really wanted a pair of road silks but this is what he was able to find and he figured it was better to bring something back than nothing. My brother passed away many years ago and I kept them as a kind of reminder of him. They have never been mounted or glued onto a rim. They have just been in my basement for 50 years. I'm willing to consider an offer. PM or email me. By the way what is the difference between the 2 models?

I've watched them build 753 frames at the Ilkeston works in 1977 or 78. That was when frame builders had to submit a complete frame for testing before being allowed to buy 753 tubing. Up to that point all American builders had failed the test and I wanted to make sure I passed. I made an appointment to see Gerald (what was his last name?) but arrived late and he was gone to lunch. I went into the workshop and asked the foreman if I could hang out until he got back. Sure he said. I took pictures and chatted up the 5 or so builders until Gerald came back and chased me out with profanity. He kind of apologized when we got outside saying he just wanted to make sure his workers understood not to let anyone in to see what they are doing. I already had what I wanted so I left pretty happy. Just by coincidence I was communicating yesterday about with Jim Merz and Rich Gangl about the 753 test. They were 2 of the first Americans to pass.

Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 01-20-20, 07:14 AM
Dolanarc1

Thank you CA for the offer.

But, as I'm restoring a vintage bike as close to original as possible I'll wait until I find the Clement's that I'm looking for.

Cheers
Old 01-20-20, 09:56 AM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
I made an appointment to see Gerald (what was his last name?)
Gerald O'Donovan?
Old 01-20-20, 10:25 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by satbuilder
Gerald O'Donovan?
That's his name! Thanks for the reminder. After he had chased me out of the workshop and I chatted for a minute with him in his office, he was telling me that he thought he could still pedal 25 miles in under an hour. I remember thinking what?! I'm half you size and weight and I can't do that.