Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Riding during the shelter in place directive

Notices
Northern California Northern California

Riding during the shelter in place directive

Old 05-02-20, 03:06 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
I saw that article too. But when you go to the Mt Diablo webpage it says the park is still open for locals who ride/walk to the park.

Mt Diablo State Park
Today I saw rangers ordering cyclists to get farther apart for social distancing "if they want the park to remain open".
It wasn't at all "papers please", it was more like "straighten up doofuses"
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 05-03-20, 02:21 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Today I saw rangers ordering cyclists to get farther apart for social distancing "if they want the park to remain open".
It wasn't at all "papers please", it was more like "straighten up doofuses"
I rode to the junction on sat (5.2.20).. the whole thing is still open though. Coming down somebody crashed...lotsl of ppl helping him out.. I darted down to the gate ranger to inform him.
Old 05-03-20, 03:25 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
The closure is coming, I have no doubt. Yet another rider crashed yesterday on SG, not sure if this is the same one the last post is referring to. But it seems almost daily, if not more than daily that riders are crashing on Diablo. Do we need to have a "drivers test" for cyclists? I don't want to make light of people getting injured, and I'm sure in some cases it's not the rider"s fault, but incidents like crashing into the closed gate, or yesterday where someone went into a ravine, they keep having to take people out in ambulances. It's not a good look for the cycling community, and at some point they are going to get fed up with all the crashes and flaunting of the social distancing rules

Last edited by cthenn; 05-03-20 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-03-20, 03:31 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Believe what you want. The governor is overreaching and has been using fear to get people to shelter in place. So if you like what you have, do nothing. There are options.
alright let's go there. What is the reason why Newsom wants to keep people home? What's your cockamamie conspiracy theory? Because I'm sure the governor is really happy destroying the economy of the state. That seems like a plausible thing.

Also, what are your credentials to doubt what leading doctors and epidemiologists from universities all over the state including Cal and Standford are advising for how we should be responding to this situation? I'll be waiting with the utmost anticipation.
Old 05-03-20, 05:18 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Newsom’s party has no platform, and no viable candidate. A devastated economy will not guarantee a victory on November, but it will certainly increase the odds, especially compared to the roaring economy we had until a month ago, and it’s the only hope his party has at this point. And yes, FWIW, his party would burn the entire country down if it meant staying in power, sadly.

Question for you sir, where are the 3 million dead Americans that were used to justify these unprecedented martial law-like restrictions (quarantines of the healthy?) and why is no one questioning these absurd initial projections that were obviously overblown by several orders of magnitude? These docs ought to have their licenses pulled, IMO, for causing all this damage to the economy with such reckless hysterical death counts.
Old 05-03-20, 05:23 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 935 Posts
^^^^ History will be the judge of the governor's actions or inactions. Let's revisit this in a couple of months. The end results are what counts not what the self-identified experts say or a governor for that matter.

By the way, the governor is our employee, he is not a king. We do not have to live by his edicts. He can be recalled and removed from office.
A conspiracy theory is not a theory if one is actually living it in real time. Willingly giving up one's right to work, to support your family, to get medical care that is being curtailed because the avalanche of sick CV patients never happened, to lose one's job, to even go on a bike ride is deemed illegal and heavy fines are the punishment. This is all ridiculous because we believed a lie.

The governor did overreach in not balancing civil liberties in his decision making and only projecting the worst case scenario. He is not alone in this of course. The will to power is nothing new. You think the governor is a good man who has the citizens of CA best interests' at heart? I question this because what was only going to be a two week shelter in place order is going on seven weeks now. Destroy the economy? Again, I am looking at actions not what I project onto another man because I think he is trying to do what is best. So believe what you want to believe. There are good reasons to believe otherwise.
Old 05-03-20, 05:29 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
The closure is coming, I have no doubt. Yet another rider crashed yesterday on SG, not sure if this is the same one the last post is referring to. But it seems almost daily, if not more than daily that riders are crashing on Diablo. Do we need to have a "drivers test" for cyclists? I don't want to make light of people getting injured, and I'm sure in some cases it's not the rider"s fault, but incidents like crashing into the closed gate, or yesterday where someone went into a ravine, they keep having to take people out in ambulances. It's not a good look for the cycling community, and at some point they are going to get fed up with all the crashes and flaunting of the social distancing rules
I would not be surprised...

Not only that, I was with the guard for awhile to make sure he got a response from the ranger station and we warned many cyclist coming into the park that emergency vehicles where on the way up. (you could hear sirens in the distance) Pretty sure none..well maybe 1 guy I know could have made it past the accident scene before the emergency vehicles could get there (he waited) . I waited on the other side of the gate and there was plenty of room for other cyclist to just wait too and I really wish they would have. Would have been a positive message to send to the rangers in my mind. Scenic is narrow so I was not about to go down it with knowing at least 2 vehicles would be coming up.
Old 05-04-20, 02:57 PM
lukemasri
mountain biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've been wearing a P100 respirator that I have from work every time I ride, people come way too close and there's almost no way to avoid them if you want to go out. I find all the conspiracies somewhat funny, people will believe anything no matter how implausible it seems. It is sad that lack of social distancing and lack of care about our fellow man will cause those at risk in our population to get very ill or die, but it's reflective of our current society and what we care about. It's nice to be able to get out and ride, makes things seem more normal sometimes (even with the respirator). I hope everyone can stay safe and still get out on the bike!
Likes For lukemasri:
Old 05-05-20, 10:13 AM
cthenn

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Newsom’s party has no platform, and no viable candidate. A devastated economy will not guarantee a victory on November, but it will certainly increase the odds, especially compared to the roaring economy we had until a month ago, and it’s the only hope his party has at this point. And yes, FWIW, his party would burn the entire country down if it meant staying in power, sadly.

Question for you sir, where are the 3 million dead Americans that were used to justify these unprecedented martial law-like restrictions (quarantines of the healthy?) and why is no one questioning these absurd initial projections that were obviously overblown by several orders of magnitude? These docs ought to have their licenses pulled, IMO, for causing all this damage to the economy with such reckless hysterical death counts.
That's rich, considering the literal ****** (I don't like to use that word, but there is nothing more accurate) in the White House. Investigate injecting Lysol into the body? Shine a light on the body? Trump is a clown, and speaking of burning the country down, it's funny to me that Republicans have sold their soul to the devil to back that unhinged lunatic.

Regarding the numbers, have you stopped to consider that what states like California have been doing is the reason WHY there aren't more dead? Unless you're completely obtuse, you have to be aware of what happened in places like Italy, in NYC, and smaller examples like nursing homes, cruise ships, military ships, etc. Places where self isolating didn't happen in time, places where people live in close quarters, places with the vulnerable, they suffered significant outbreaks. Again, I'll ask the same question I did of the other poster. What are your qualifications to contradict the vast majority of the medical community, doctors and epidemiologists? You cannot seriously be suggesting this is some kind of mass conspiracy to bring down Trump, and get a Democrat elected...can you? I mean, dude, you may need to adjust your tin foil hat if that's the case.
Likes For cthenn:
Old 05-05-20, 10:16 AM
cthenn

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
^^^^ History will be the judge of the governor's actions or inactions. Let's revisit this in a couple of months. The end results are what counts not what the self-identified experts say or a governor for that matter.

By the way, the governor is our employee, he is not a king. We do not have to live by his edicts. He can be recalled and removed from office.
A conspiracy theory is not a theory if one is actually living it in real time. Willingly giving up one's right to work, to support your family, to get medical care that is being curtailed because the avalanche of sick CV patients never happened, to lose one's job, to even go on a bike ride is deemed illegal and heavy fines are the punishment. This is all ridiculous because we believed a lie.

The governor did overreach in not balancing civil liberties in his decision making and only projecting the worst case scenario. He is not alone in this of course. The will to power is nothing new. You think the governor is a good man who has the citizens of CA best interests' at heart? I question this because what was only going to be a two week shelter in place order is going on seven weeks now. Destroy the economy? Again, I am looking at actions not what I project onto another man because I think he is trying to do what is best. So believe what you want to believe. There are good reasons to believe otherwise.
"The governor is our employee, he is not a king". Tell that to Trump. He seems to think he is king. Also, you're kind of all over the place, I don't know really what to say. What's the lie we're all fooled into believing? Who is at the heart of the lie, and for what reason? Apparently you also believe the governor is doing what he believes is best...so...not following. Are you on the Bill Gates conspiracy train? Some mysterious force at work trying to bring down the president? Sorry, I find it hard to take you seriously.
Old 05-05-20, 11:05 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 935 Posts
"The governor is our employee, he is not a king". Tell that to Trump. He seems to think he is king. Also, you're kind of all over the place, I don't know really what to say. What's the lie we're all fooled into believing? Who is at the heart of the lie, and for what reason? Apparently you also believe the governor is doing what he believes is best...so...not following. Are you on the Bill Gates conspiracy train? Some mysterious force at work trying to bring down the president? Sorry, I find it hard to take you seriously.
You engage in a classic strawman argument but really do not want to engage in a rational argument regarding civil liberties and living in a police state. This is what is at the heart of the matter. Instead you bring up conspiracy theories? Citizens getting ticketed/fined for going on walks and bike rides when there is no hard science to indicate this is linked to this pandemic is an abuse of power. So yes I question the orders of the governor and president. I am an Independent. Your responses just try to label and pigeon hole. I have no more time for you - the NTB crowd.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-09-20, 10:27 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
I rode past Redwood park the other day. They closed the parking lot so people park on Redwood Rd. Didn't make much sense to me. Closing bathrooms and not dumping trash? On a trip through Pt Pinole, trash emptied, restrooms open, parking lot pretty full. People with face coverings and keeping distance...except for the guys on the pier. The only remedies will require everyone's cooperation. You still will have those that say F that and do their own thing. You'll just have to be aware of those risk when you are out.
Old 05-09-20, 11:22 AM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
Unfortunately different cities have different ideas about restrooms in their parks. In the east bay Walnut Creek parks restrooms are open and getting cleaned regularly. Danville and Concord to the South and North have closed theirs. I thought I would do a little research for cyclists using the Iron Horse Trail but that’s as far as I got. Every city hides that information in it’s own unique way don’t you know. Two weeks ago I chatted with a cyclist who had driven over from Pinole to ride in Walnut Creek since the Bay Trail restrooms were all closed. Those are run by EBRPD who has closed all their restrooms as noted above. For some reason they have also turned off all their drinking water.

I will leave finding further information as an exercise for the reader. Happy riding.
Old 05-09-20, 12:12 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by rtalain
Another parent at my kid's school was unloading his bike from his car (likely a big red flag), along with his friend. A cop pulled up and asked for their licenses. My friend was 4.72 miles from home, but his friend was beyond his 5-mile radius and was hit with a $1,000 fine. Of course, they moved the San Mateo County limit to 10-miles today, so at least that opens up more road.

Ron
So glad I moved out of there. As if cops don't have nothing better to do like enforcing REAL laws or fighting REAL crimes.
Old 05-13-20, 04:35 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
alright let's go there. What is the reason why Newsom wants to keep people home? What's your cockamamie conspiracy theory? Because I'm sure the governor is really happy destroying the economy of the state. That seems like a plausible thing.
They need to change the batteries in all the pigeons that are spying on us for the lizard overlords.
Likes For UmneyDurak:
Old 05-15-20, 07:52 PM
sanmateoclimber

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Heads up for people following this thread but not the other one: the 10-mile radius leash has now been removed for San Mateo County.
https://www.smdailyjournal.com/news/...6592a16aa.html