Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Palm Springs Area

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Palm Springs Area

Old 02-24-20, 12:13 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Palm Springs Area

After several years of visiting our kids in Palm Springs a couple of times a year, my uncommon late-February visit finally revealed why there are so many bicycle lanes throughout this area.

In the warmer months (which means most of the year), these lanes always seemed empty, for obvious reasons related to the punishing temperatures out there in the desert. However, in February, there were cyclists - from casual to Spandexed - everywhere. And watching the patterns, I got a real feel for just how comprehensive the cycling infrastructure is, not only in the Springs, but in Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, Indian Wells, etc.

Any cyclist looking for a place to own a part-time retirement property - or just a place to visit and ride during the bearable-weather season - might want to check out this part of California.
Old 02-24-20, 06:18 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
My folks moved to Palm Desert for a while - they THOUGHT they were prepared for the heat. But the temperatures and the haboobs and the lack of social activities (other than going to malls) made them move back to Denver.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 02-25-20 at 02:26 AM.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 02-24-20, 08:40 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
PS is awesome much of the year ... but not the heat of summer. Oy.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 02-28-20, 01:08 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
flat as hades for the most part. only a few roads on the edges of the valley for vertical relief. a pleasant enuff area to ride for a few weeks or months
but the lack of variety may drive you mad. how many times can you do 1000 palms road, tram road, frank sinatra, portola and highway 74?
it will be interesting to see how the area's in progress attempt at creating their version of the tucson "loop' will fare. the bike lanes are ubiquitous in the valley but
a few cities within the coachella valley seem to have difficulty thinking beyond the box/car.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 02-28-20, 02:42 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I live here and as ooga-booga says, it's mostly flat and you find yourself riding the same roads over and over again, so I sometimes get in the car and drive to Riverside Metrolink and ride from there usually to a beach town like Oceanside or San Clemente. It's also easy to go to Huntington Beach and ride north from there.

In the summer when riding local, the local club and I start really early. Most of the rides start at 6 AM from June to September.

BTW ooga-booga quite a while back you asked me about Box Canyon. It's been completely rebuilt and smooth as can be most of the way.
Likes For tunavic:
Old 02-29-20, 07:24 PM
Papa Tom

I guess my few days in the Palm Springs area didn't provide the full picture of what cyclists REALLY think about riding there! My attention was mostly drawn to all the people who seemed to be riding for utilitarian purposes, rather than recreation. I can see how a serious roadie might get bored pretty quickly on all that flat, hot pavement. But, as an older (57) commuter and practical cyclist, I'd be riding to Louise's Pantry, Swiss Donuts, and all the great vegetarian restaurants every day.
Old 03-01-20, 05:21 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by tunavic
I live here and as ooga-booga says, it's mostly flat and you find yourself riding the same roads over and over again, so I sometimes get in the car and drive to Riverside Metrolink and ride from there usually to a beach town like Oceanside or San Clemente. It's also easy to go to Huntington Beach and ride north from there.

In the summer when riding local, the local club and I start really early. Most of the rides start at 6 AM from June to September.

BTW ooga-booga quite a while back you asked me about Box Canyon. It's been completely rebuilt and smooth as can be most of the way.
nfw?!?! i need to check this out before mid-april...
Old 03-05-20, 03:31 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I guess my few days in the Palm Springs area didn't provide the full picture of what cyclists REALLY think about riding there! My attention was mostly drawn to all the people who seemed to be riding for utilitarian purposes, rather than recreation. I can see how a serious roadie might get bored pretty quickly on all that flat, hot pavement. But, as an older (57) commuter and practical cyclist, I'd be riding to Louise's Pantry, Swiss Donuts, and all the great vegetarian restaurants every day.
a serious roadie gets bored pretty quickly out there without a little diversion into semi-local mtns. the area is excellent for crushing miles tho as the distances between stop signs/lights east of cathedral city tend to be large so less stoppage time and more moving time.
Old 03-05-20, 05:34 AM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
...The area is excellent for crushing miles tho as the distances between stop signs/lights east of cathedral city tend to be large so less stoppage time and more moving time.
Yeah, not my thing.
Old 03-06-20, 12:47 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

i’ll admit to having ridden to the nest in indian wells and el gallito (closed) in cat city back in the day. my usual riding jam when out there riding is hitting sherman’s deli on tahquitz in palm springs. maybe hit the beer hunter in la quinta once or twice x can’t accurately remember. back when there was a fatburger on ramon rd. near the ps airport (been gone a few years), that was always the ride desto.
skinny fries and/or o-rings. double fat with bacon, lettuce, tomato, onion, ketchup, fried egg. boomski.

there was a great little pizza place in la quinta near the post office (name escapes me) that’s gone now unfortunately. that place shredded.

Last edited by diphthong; 03-06-20 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-07-20, 06:03 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by Papa Tom

out of all the towns/cities in the coachella valley, the actual town of palm springs has the best concentration of restos, shopping, the arts, scenery, gambling, airport and everything many people

vacation for. the main commercial parts of palm springs are approx 3 miles north/south along palm canyon dr/hwy 111 by 3 miles east/west from palm canyon dr/hwy 111 to gene autry dr.
if you're into golf, you're better off hitting rancho mirage, palm desert, indian wells, bermuda dunes and la quinta.

palm desert has a lot but is much more spread out. la quinta has two distinct areas (along hwy 111 and the cove) that are fairly well concentrated but about a 10-15 min spin between.

if you need some kind of industrial/automotive/electronic/home repair or upgrade, you'll likely end up in cathedral (cat) city, along the cook street corridor in palm desert or in indio.

cathedral city is a less than 15 minute ride from most parts of palm springs. palm desert is a solid hour's-1.25 hrs ride from palm springs. indio is roughly two hours+ ride from palm springs.
the prevailing winds heading west to east from san gorgonio pass towards indio tend to add a 10-15 min difference riding from palm spring to indio vs indio to palm springs.
there's about an inconsequential 450 foot elevation difference either direction so the difference is mostly wind-related.

Last edited by diphthong; 03-07-20 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-11-20, 04:35 PM
Papa Tom

Thanks for the info, but I still have no plans to move there!
Old 03-11-20, 04:40 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

^me neither but if I’m ever in the market for a second/seasonal home, i’d definitely consider it along with sedona, az and the lone pine/bishop/mammoth/395 eastern sierra corridor.