Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 03-12-20, 11:14 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I wanted to get out this morning for some TT work on FI but I was a bit sore/stiff after P/1/2 Tour de Murrieta last weekend. Bummer b/c it's looking like rain and I don't have a good indoor setup yet. I'm thinking I may relax/unwind this week even though I took it easy 2 weeks ago. CTL at ~90 today with a positive TSB, so it will take a 3-5 point hit by the time the week is over, but I'll be ready to rock.

Starting next week I'll hit a solid 3 week block of training to set me up nicely for April Fiesta Island TTT (we''re gunning for the 40k course record) and put me up on a plateau before the final few crits of the season and the SCNCA district TTT champs in May.
Do you have any details about the District TTT? I find no info on the SCNCA website, and I’ve got no reply to emailing SCNCA, FB messaging them nor to posting the question on their FB page. I heard there’s going to be a new venue.
Old 03-13-20, 08:35 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Legs seem to have come back around. Did one 5-minute effort at ~410W about 23 mins into my ride, then a rolly Z2/3 base ride for the following 2.5 hours. I snagged a long flat KOM by just staying aero and relaxing into the bike. My forearms are a little red this morning, but that's the price.

I did get a short climb KOM that I was introduced to by a friend 5 years ago before I moved here. I chased it all of last season but kept missing the overall by 10-20 seconds.
Old 03-13-20, 09:06 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Do you have any details about the District TTT? I find no info on the SCNCA website, and I’ve got no reply to emailing SCNCA, FB messaging them nor to posting the question on their FB page. I heard there’s going to be a new venue.
Admittedly I haven't looked into it much yet, but last I did it was 5/30, unless they changed things. I hadn't heard anything about a course venue change.
Old 03-13-20, 09:16 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Admittedly I haven't looked into it much yet, but last I did it was 5/30, unless they changed things. I hadn't heard anything about a course venue change.
Well as I understand it, it’s not permitted yet so it’s not really a solid date.

The venue change was news to me, it comes from a TT friend I rode with last weekend. She had heard it as a rumor but doesn’t know if that’s true. She was wondering if I wanted to do the TTT this year. Maybe. But I don’t want to put the work into the prep if the race isn’t going to happen, or if the dates going to change to one I have a conflict with, or I don’t feel ok about road safety for the venue or whatever.

Sure would be nice to have a LA that was even remotely responsive to reasonable inquiries.
Old 03-13-20, 10:10 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I bet they're swamped right now with cancellation inquiries due to the outbreak, FWIW. Races just got cancelled for March, lucky I got Tour de Murrieta in at least.
Old 03-13-20, 11:38 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Down another pound, still working hard. I know this because I'm having next level sleep and dreams.

Kevin Hart is that you?
'Why am I in your dream, and why am I on a pony?'
I have no idea ask my subconscious....
'And what's Arnold doing here?'

Eating yogurt...can he put on some clothes?
(looks down)

I really have no idea, could be worse.
Old 03-13-20, 12:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My team's race is scheduled for the first weekend in May. We're still on but we've been in contact with the city and have been told that things are changing daily, if not hourly. NCNCA and USAC both say use your judgment but consider cancelling or postponing. One of our sister clubs here in Sacramento is going forward with their crit/RR this weekend with adjustments for social distancing, including no podiums. But I'm hearing about a lot of riders bailing out. I'm almost relieved to be so out of shape that I had already pre-bailed.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-13-20, 01:51 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
what to say about training.. lol I've been riding consistently for a couple of weeks, so that's something. I was just looking at my power/HR between an endurance ride today and one Feb 9 (before I went on vacation), today I averaged 147bpm on portions at 206w, on the Feb ride I was doing 221w at the same HR. It's hard not to focus on that, but we'll keep moving forward see where the next few weeks takes me.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 03-13-20, 04:12 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Working from home today, company acquisition means lots of corporate training videos and quizzes and crap. Put the laptop on the trainer, did zwift with erg mode on the phone next to me and got almost 2.5 hours of z2 in. Biggest day for me in a while!
Old 03-13-20, 09:03 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

I bet they're swamped right now with cancellation inquiries due to the outbreak, FWIW. Races just got cancelled for March, lucky I got Tour de Murrieta in at least.
My attempts to contact them were last weekend actually. Before we were seeing race cancellations.
Likes For Heathpack:
Old 03-15-20, 11:24 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I did a Zwift group ride and because I'm altruistic, I'll drop back and help pull stragglers back. Yesterday, the main group sped up as I was bringing in 3, we went about 4 minutes and had to go solo. So it was basically a 35 minute FTP test to catch up.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 03-15-20, 03:22 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Got a Tacx Neo 2T a few weeks ago, what a game changer (coming from Kreitlers).

Obviously ERG mode is the **** (plus creating my own erg workouts!), but it's SO DAMN QUIET. My breathing is probably the loudest part.

No more worrying about my whole apartment building vibrating while I'm training, and I can kick it up to 600+ watts without barely any more noise (which is first of all hard to do on rollers and second of all loud af). I still ride it outside on the porch, but it's way more doable. Also I don't need to actually balance anymore, so watching Netflix/whatever is actually an option.

I do miss the feel of the rollers, and I still use them at races, but I don't regret dropping a huge check for this Tacx!

my race videos
Likes For mattm:
Old 03-15-20, 03:24 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
Got out for a 20 mileish ride with wife. We were going to go longer and turned around when it started to rain. We briefly hooked up with a couple of other racers, one who knew me. I did not recognize the kit and then we turned at Swamis and they went straight. We saw them again go through an intersection while we waited for a stop light but could not catch them.

The sun is out now and the weather is constantly changing here.
Old 03-15-20, 06:03 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Hi Hermes that was me haha. It kind of seemed like you didn't recognize me, it's kind of funny how people can become unrecognizable if you are only used to seeing them in normal clothes vs cycling clothes (or vice-versa). We were impressed with Mary Ellen's pace on the TT bike during the open stretch going towards Swami's Point! Also, we also turned around a short while later due to the local precipitation that was happening up there.
Old 03-15-20, 06:05 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Today I got 3.5 hrs of (mostly) z2 in with a SDBC teammate/buddy, up the coast from N. Park a bit and back home. Tomorrow I'll hit some over/unders on the TT bike on Fiesta and Tuesday should feature another ~3 hrs in the AM before work, boss is OK with me coming in late. The Tues. AM ride will feature the weekly Fiesta Island paceline ride which should be fun and always has a fast group of local racers that just want to hammer.

It feels good to be getting some training in after taking it easy last week due to the weather. My body didn't really need it and I was starting to get stir crazy from hardly riding, so it feels good to be back on the horse.

Right now I'm thinking the second half of next week will be pretty moderate, minus Saturday where I'd like to kick down 6+ hrs and 100 + miles.

Last edited by TMonk; 03-15-20 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-15-20, 07:57 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Hi Hermes that was me haha. It kind of seemed like you didn't recognize me, it's kind of funny how people can become unrecognizable if you are only used to seeing them in normal clothes vs cycling clothes (or vice-versa). We were impressed with Mary Ellen's pace on the TT bike during the open stretch going towards Swami's Point! Also, we also turned around a short while later due to the local precipitation that was happening up there.
I thought the voice sounded like you but the kit was not green. Duh. Mary Ellen was riding tempo on that section. .We turn left right after Swami's and go the back way to avoid the traffic and intersections. So that was exactly the time you caught us and we had to move left. We could have gone straight with you guys but are so programed to do certain things. When we saw you go by as we were waiting at a light to turn left to get back on PCH. I thought we would catch you. Instead, we got caught at the light at Encinitas Blvd and you guys were gone. Then we turned around when it started to rain. Oh well.
Old 03-17-20, 09:01 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Hopefully about to start back up this week. Took some time off to get my legs and head straight before getting back on the horse.

I needed to not ride for a little bit and reset my frame of mind. I'd been training for racing, and the uncertainty of the season was really giving me the "what's the point" feeling every time I looked at TrainingPeaks.

At this point, I think I'm going to start "just riding" instead of following a training plan...at least for a little bit. It's extremely tough for me to justify a training plan if there is no "goal".
Old 03-17-20, 09:17 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Cypress Part of the problem is the cyclical nature of training and trying to peak for events. I am going out for an endurance ride today to burn some calories and try to stay sane. I try to cycle outside with an A game meaning total focus on my road situation, traffic and etc. I am upping it to a AAA+++ game today. Plus I am taking my personal bottle of hand sanitizer and I am not stopping anywhere but for bio brakes.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 03-17-20, 11:37 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
Hopefully about to start back up this week. Took some time off to get my legs and head straight before getting back on the horse.

I needed to not ride for a little bit and reset my frame of mind. I'd been training for racing, and the uncertainty of the season was really giving me the "what's the point" feeling every time I looked at TrainingPeaks.

At this point, I think I'm going to start "just riding" instead of following a training plan...at least for a little bit. It's extremely tough for me to justify a training plan if there is no "goal".
I'm sort of in the same boat, race specific stuff is definitely feeling stupid. I think I've decided to just do endless ftp stuff because it is at least fun and means I can up volume, which I like.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 03-17-20, 01:33 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Had the same conversation with Racer Ex last night. Hella tough to justify training and dieting for hill climbs that are apt to not happen. Guys have a hard enough time staying motivated for a race next week if it might rain. I can't wrap my head around 8 weeks of starving. Kind pulled the rip cord for the week and will reevaluate on a week by week basis.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 03-17-20, 03:05 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Well, my big race is scheduled for late June/early July, so I am optimistic it will still happen.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 03-17-20, 07:11 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Same here, boss was OK with me starting an hour later today so I could train more than usual. Which I did, I'm just not sure what for.
Old 03-17-20, 07:18 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I am optimistic that things will resume in a reasonable time frame to use some of our current fitness, however. We can't just stay isolated/quarantined forever and let the economies of the world collapse - on some level it's not likely this will ever get eradicated like MERS/SARS so the show much go on at some point. But on the flip side, we won't just let this go rampant, run it's course and cause millions of extra unnecessary deaths due to our healthcare systems being overloaded. What will happen is likely something in between, only time will tell.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-18-20, 07:31 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
probably depends on your definition of short.

right now usa cycling isn't even aligned wiith the initial CDC reccomendations.
Old 03-18-20, 08:57 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I'm doing a bit of a progression of 120% intervals. Last week I did a trainerroad workout with 18x1min intervals at 120% on Tues and Thurs. This week I'm doing 12x90sec at 120 and then next week 2min then maybe 2.5 and finally 3.
My son, who has been riding without training wheels for all of 2 days, and I rode around our neighborhood for 5miles yesterday as well. That ride was 1 TSS lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.