Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Group Rides and Social Distancing.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Group Rides and Social Distancing.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-20, 03:51 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
My local "unofficial" club had a group ride last night. It as good to get out. Nobody shook hands, maybe an elbow bump... I've taken to waving with a Vulcan greeting/departure sign...Seems safe...
Old 03-19-20, 08:38 AM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yeah, I'mma take advice with a grain of salt when it's given anonymously online from someone that claims not to be a conspiracy theorist and then goes on to outline how everything is lies created by a select few to manipulate worldwide domination.
Meaning I am skeptical of everything and have long since tuned out the news but I work in the field, I am a physician, speak/read French, ITalian and Spanish and know people in all three countries.

The conspiracy is extremely simple, if a country's money supply is created by private entities (central banks and banks) and run in a debt based currency scheme like most then by definition the system under which everyone lives is exploitative and not for the benefit of society due to the inherent conflicts of interest, period. At best any good the system or government does is to push consent and not for the greater good, and any argument for the greater good is by definition false.

In this case I don't think it's a conspiracy because unlike other crises like 2008, 9-11 and others there is no immediate solution proffered by the system that no one in their right mind would have had to accept. There is no pre-prepared agenda to benefit private entites like bailouts, no Patriot act, no invasion of other countries that aren't playing to the tune in the background. The politicians and governments are just as panicked and helpless as everyone else. And what I do see is that, as much as any system can do, the actions have been for greater good in Italy which is a country that is EXTREMELY restrictive, EXTREMELY difficult to live, EXTREMELY dominating of personal liberty and EXTREMELY difficult to live in otherwise for a 1st world nation. What I mean is freezing debts like mortgages, utilities, moratorium on rents and evictions etc. So I don't think this was engineered by the system at all.

If I am concerned about it I am not only usually not bothered by stuff and don't pay attention, but I am in a position to know more than most as it's my field. It's not horrific on a one by one basis, but it's very bad for society if you map out the critical illness and death numbers it's huge for society as a whole. Even a 1% death rate is ideal and 1% of 330 million stands at 3.3 assuming the hospitals don't get overwhelmed. The advice is very simple: STAY HOME and locked up if you're in an urban area, AVOID OTHERS regardless. Some is for your own protection if you're older or sick. The younger you are the less this counts but then it invokes saving society more than anything else.

If you want PM me,I'd be happy to give you a call. My interest in this is getting word out to STAY HOME, nothing less, nothing more and any forum or platform that the word can be spread is a good thing.

Did I forget to mention, STAY HOME?
Old 03-19-20, 08:52 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
tl;dr
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-19-20, 11:39 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
5-8% bleach concentration works for disinfectant. Leave it on a surface for 1-2 minutes & I advise wear gloves at that concentration and try not to breathe too much of the fumes.

If you can't find any hand disinfectant, simply vigorous soap and water is also effective. Less than a disinfectant but still effective.

You can also find denatured alcohol if the stores are out of rubbing alcohol. Fortunately, good whiskey or bourbon isn't high enough proof so there's no need to waste it.
If you're OK with the expense and your liquor store still has it, 150 proof Everclear will do the trick as a straight disinfectant - get some of the higher proof (190, or 95% by vol)) stuff and dilute it down to 70% by volume with aloe vera and you have a perfectly good hand sanitizer. I've seen 1.75 liter bottles of 190 proof going for anywhere from $36 - $60, but I know nothing about availability.
Old 03-19-20, 11:46 AM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
I lead rides for my club of 200+ riders and like most organizations, they've cancelled official club rides. I still organize small group rides with modified ride expectations, and on top of that, I started a group ride workgroup to talk through the challenges of riding together. I'm leading a group of 5 tomorrow on a 75-miler.
Old 03-19-20, 12:33 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
This came across my feed this morning.

Is it safe to hike, run, or bike outdoors right now?According to the Los Angeles Times, medical experts say “individuals should take part in any outdoor activity they feel healthy enough to do while practicing social distancing recommendations. Of course, if you’re feeling sick and have a cough, don’t go out and do any activity.”

https://www.nynjtc.org/news/how-hike...hy-responsibly
Thanks for posting particularly "while practicing social distancing" I got quite a bit of static for advising the social distancing outdoors on another thread.
Old 03-19-20, 12:43 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
If you're OK with the expense and your liquor store still has it, 150 proof Everclear will do the trick as a straight disinfectant - get some of the higher proof (190, or 95% by vol)) stuff and dilute it down to 70% by volume with aloe vera and you have a perfectly good hand sanitizer. I've seen 1.75 liter bottles of 190 proof going for anywhere from $36 - $60, but I know nothing about availability.
I'll stick with soap and water, and whatever disinfectants I've got around the house.
Old 03-19-20, 12:57 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
A friend declared that he's not going on any group rides until the coronavirus crisis passes.

What do you all think? Of course, people need to cut out the snot rockets/spitting, sharing of road snacks and bidons. But do you perceive there to be
risks of riding in a pace line?
Our local club cancelled all group rides effective last Tuesday. A few of who didn't get the message showed up for our usual Tues evening ride and decided to ride anyway, keeping a respectful distance, but it felt a little odd, and the social aspect of the ride was significantly affected. I think I'll revert to solo for the time being - if I encounter someone on the road, maybe we'll travel together, but beyond that....? Still going to stop for coffee though, if I can find a place open.