Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Miche Primato Hub quality?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 03-23-20, 01:18 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 719 Posts

I'm trying to find some decent track hubs for my daughter and I that are decent. If I had money to burn I'd really be in a toss up between Campy, DA or Phil but I don't but I'd like something better then formula which at least in road and mtb have never really impressed me. Some Miche Primato showed up on my radar and I can have 2 sets arrive at my door for 138.00 which I can afford but the last pair of Miche hubs I saw were cassette ones something like 18 years ago. They seemed to be Sachs or Mavic quality, better then average but not top tier which is probably the best I can do. Also open to suggestions of something just as good for less, but needs to be 28h. Info on the bikes they'll go on...

Mine is a Raleigh Rush Hour so nothing impressive but the wheels are searious deadweight and low quality. I've got a set of 23mm wide, 26mm deep disc rims sitting around that would be a lot better with some 25mm times (it came with 28mm) and some butted spokes. The rims are 28h while the raleigh came 36h so with decent hubs these could be a lot faster. I haven't raced track yet and still might not do much more then training rides at the track while my wife does use the bike since the Star Track group does have a moms group to try and keep the girls more involved.

Also have a set of Sun ICI1 24" rims that would fit my daughter's bike, also 28h, that I was handed years ago and thought a set of the hubs for her as well. Her wheels are ok Alex rims which are an older style narow 21mm deep rim with what are probably formula or equivalent hubs. When I got the bike last year I spent a lot of time trying to adjust them and couldn't get them perfectly smooth. Right now she's a better then average rider but not amazing and is still young. In her case I would save the old wheels and put them back on the bike when its time to upgrade and build the Miche hubs into new, larger rims and if in a few years she's getting really good I'll splurge for something top tier.
Old 03-23-20, 04:21 PM
LNKFixed
Fixed on the plains.

Bikes: 2019 Leader 721, 2020 Bombtrack Hook EXT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
I run Miche Pistards and they've been perfectly smooth, I don't really romp on my bike that much though so you may wait for some additional insight.
Old 06-07-20, 09:45 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 719 Posts
With the lockdown that occurred in Italy these actually took more then 2 months to arrive, wasn't in too much hurry though. Built them up with, as the decal says, CX rims from my wife's caadx Tiagra which received much nicer wheels this year, even reused the spokes since they were only 6 months old and low use. 24mm outer width with 21mm inner, built 28h, 3x and used Conti 4000 IIs tires. The rims felt decent and seemed reasonably light, the rims that replaced them were .5mm wider, 5mm deeper and 75g lighter so these aren't that light; still took just over 2 lbs off the bike between wheels and tires.
Took the bike to Kissena on wed to participate in the Pink Rhino virtual race, this week was a 1000m and a 4000m; did an ok 1:53.44 for the 1000m and a respectable 7:34.43.
These wheels were noticeably less rough on the track (Kissena isn't smooth) but stiffer on the sprints which is I'm sure a combination of being less deep then the original wheels but much wider. As for the hubs, they were very smooth and really feel like they roll quick. Right now the biggest speed loss for me is my confidence on the track, the hubs are fast and smooth, the wheels are stiff but compliant, and the tires are grippy, I just find the bumps I have to ride over make it harder since I can't stand and coast.
This week the race calls for the Flying 200m, 500m & 1000m/Kilo and I'll best my time.