Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Something prevents me from uploading a photo.

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Old 03-26-20, 03:58 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts

When I try to upload an image (756K in size) to the post that I'm composing, it says something like "50% complete", but then a window pops up which says "Alert" and then nothing else but a button to close the window that popped up. I don't know what it's trying to alert me to, but it certainly isn't letting me upload. Why is this"

Last edited by Nyah; 03-26-20 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-27-20, 02:06 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
The filesize of that image seems a bit large, or at least at the moment when You Tube and Netflix are scaling back standards to help prevent overload of the internet's resources.

For one thing you can reduce the resolution of the image directly at the device or when you process it to post.

While I understand that the wilderness or whatever might seem to demand glorious amounts of detail you really don't need so much.

Keep your uploads under 1200x900? or scale it lower until you get some success and you'll have the idea where you should be. Most users are at 1024x800 or maybe 1440x??? for widescreen and after that it's overkill.

In the old daze before images were so important many sites were at 72 dpi. Any more and Fred Flinstone had to find a larger dinosaur.

Seriously...I started when Dancing Demon on TRS-80 was AWESOME.
Old 03-27-20, 11:24 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Originally Posted by Rollfast
The filesize of that image seems a bit large, or at least at the moment when You Tube and Netflix are scaling back standards to help prevent overload of the internet's resources.

For one thing you can reduce the resolution of the image directly at the device or when you process it to post.

While I understand that the wilderness or whatever might seem to demand glorious amounts of detail you really don't need so much.

Keep your uploads under 1200x900? or scale it lower until you get some success and you'll have the idea where you should be. Most users are at 1024x800 or maybe 1440x??? for widescreen and after that it's overkill.

In the old daze before images were so important many sites were at 72 dpi. Any more and Fred Flinstone had to find a larger dinosaur.

Seriously...I started when Dancing Demon on TRS-80 was AWESOME.
That make sense. Although after adjusting the size, it's still not working and the window popping up is still not telling me what the problem is. The image was at something like 1500 wide. I've changed it to 500 x 667, 72dpi and now the file size is 139K. Fits much better on my screen than most everyone else's posted photos, yet still not accepted by the site, for some mysterious reason.
Old 03-27-20, 03:13 PM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
It is likely a connection issue. Although you can always see if it works in Incognito/Private browsing. If it does, clear your cache/cookies for Bike Forums and it should work in regular browsing, too.
Old 03-27-20, 05:46 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Originally Posted by Nyah
That make sense. Although after adjusting the size, it's still not working and the window popping up is still not telling me what the problem is. The image was at something like 1500 wide. I've changed it to 500 x 667, 72dpi and now the file size is 139K. Fits much better on my screen than most everyone else's posted photos, yet still not accepted by the site, for some mysterious reason.
What is the file TYPE? Try to post it as a JPEG if you can, not a TIFF or something like that, make it simple and work up from there. We have a thread for practicing picture posting I believe in this section.

Last edited by Rollfast; 03-27-20 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-27-20, 08:53 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Originally Posted by IBJoel
It is likely a connection issue. Although you can always see if it works in Incognito/Private browsing. If it does, clear your cache/cookies for Bike Forums and it should work in regular browsing, too.
I am not familiar with that.

I did try posting the adjusted .jpg to a different thread topic but I still got the mystery alert and no success.
Old 03-28-20, 07:42 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I aways upload directly to my album page.
@Nyah's Album

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/489639
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/15772553

I see at some time you uploade a snap of one of my replies.

Once uploaded, save the page, then keep clicking on links until your page opens the largest photo, and embed into your message in [img]...[/img] tags
Old 03-28-20, 08:20 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I aways upload directly to my album page.
@Nyah's Album

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/489639
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/15772553

I see at some time you uploade a snap of one of my replies.

Once uploaded, save the page, then keep clicking on links until your page opens the largest photo, and embed into your message in [img]...[/img] tags
The albums are a new concept to me. I can't see how to upload to them.

The screen-shot of your post was to show an example of how posts look to me when people include large images in them. I didn't upload it to any albums, I uploaded it to this Help forum, to a discussion thread that I created. The same thing function that I'm having so much difficulty doing now.

Last edited by Nyah; 03-28-20 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-28-20, 09:32 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
The albums are a new concept to me. I can't see how to upload to them.

The screen-shot of your post was to show an example of how posts look to me when people include large images in them. I didn't upload it to any albums, I uploaded it to this Help forum, to a discussion thread that I created. The same thing function that I'm having so much difficulty doing now.
If you go into your album "My Post Pictures" above, then click on "Edit Album" in blue, you will get a screen where you can either drag and drop photos, or click on "Upload from Computer" and get a menu to upload.

Wait until each photo uploads before moving to the next.

Once you're done uploading, click on "SAVE".

Click on your photo once you get to it. Usually 2 clicks. It will either open as a pop-over, or full window.
Right-click on the photo and click on "Copy Image Location".

Paste it in your message with the [img]...[/img] tags:

[img]https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ce5f896724.jpg[/img]

Thus allowing you to refer back to older photos too.

At least that is how I do it.

If you don't get that second popup (small images), then copying the address requires one additional step. I usually right-click, find "view page info", go to "Media", then find the image and copy the location, at least in Firefox.
Old 03-29-20, 10:19 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

CliffordK, it took awhile but, thanks to your help, I can now upload photos! It never required jumping through this hoop in the past.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 03-29-20, 07:24 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Thank you, Clifford.