Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Noticeable downside to 32mm over narrower tire

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Noticeable downside to 32mm over narrower tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-20, 07:38 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I installed 32mm GP5Ks on my rain bike today. It still has plenty of fender clearance, which is a wonderful feeling.

Mounting the tires was a bit time-consuming, but nothing a bit of patience and my Kool-Stop tire bead jack couldn't handle. Seating the tire beads onto my Hunt Aero Light Disc rims was unbelievably easy -- it took no extra pumps using my Nashbar Earl Grey floor pump than I would need to inflate an inner tube. The only trip-up I had was putting way too much Orange Seal into my rear wheel. I sucked some back out into the bottle and called it a day. Will check for leaks and lost pressure tomorrow.

It's going to start raining this week, so I'm going to have to look for an excuse to ride it. Since I'm WFH for who knows how long, I don't have a reason to commute.
Likes For surak:
Old 03-23-20, 12:40 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
I installed 32mm GP5Ks on my rain bike today. It still has plenty of fender clearance, which is a wonderful feeling.
You'll love them. Literally half the rolling resistance of the GP 4season I had on previously, a bit smoother ride and more traction. Looking to wear faster though. Not too worried about punctures on the tubeless variety.
Weather is bad enough around here that I'm still on my 40mm tires. But as things dry out and my average speed increases I'll be back on these...
Old 03-30-20, 10:03 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
Yea, so I'm not spending the cash on the compass tires or equivalent, but the Vittoria Zaffiro Pro in 30mm front and 32mm rear rides very nice on my Bianchi that has a 3 sp Sturmey on it. I used Zaffiros in 23mm years ago, I wouldn't say that it's any slower - I'm rarely above 35kph other than downhill, and carry a bunch of weight when I commute. I don't think the weight or aero difference of the tires is of any consequence at all.

I use the wider tire on the back because as I use a rear rack and pannier only with no front loading, the weight bias is pretty significantly to the rear.