Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

'10 Hardrock Touring/Adventure Upfit

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-20, 04:09 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

I just brushed the cobwebs off my Specialized Hardrock that I bought back in early 2010. I had commuted on it for a while until my boys took turns using it. It has sat for almost two years and I have the inch to get it cleaned up, serviced and riding again. I still have my lights and such, as well as a few Epidura bags, some hardly used.

First order of business is the fork needs to go. I really want a fixed fork to replace the suspension fork. Can anyone recommend one? I would prefer one with bottle bosses. And what's the latest in front wheel dyno's? Should I buy a wheel already made or send mine off to be fitted? I've been out of the game for a few years and out of touch with the latest in touring technology.
Old 03-31-20, 10:03 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
I just brushed the cobwebs off my Specialized Hardrock that I bought back in early 2010. I had commuted on it for a while until my boys took turns using it. It has sat for almost two years and I have the inch to get it cleaned up, serviced and riding again. I still have my lights and such, as well as a few Epidura bags, some hardly used.

First order of business is the fork needs to go. I really want a fixed fork to replace the suspension fork. Can anyone recommend one? I would prefer one with bottle bosses. And what's the latest in front wheel dyno's? Should I buy a wheel already made or send mine off to be fitted? I've been out of the game for a few years and out of touch with the latest in touring technology.
Frankly, I ditch the current fork for a better suspension fork. Get one with a lockout. Then go looking for places to ride the bike that take advantage of it’s mountain bikeyness. Your sig line says something about a BOB trailer which will work for off-road (although I don’t find it optimum).

I like mountain bike touring on a mountain bike and go looking for places where I can ride it. This is my off-road touring bike both unloaded (without the fenders)

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

and loaded

The shock is a Fox 100mm RLC which I can lock for pavement riding but when I open it up on the rock roads that we call “gravel” around here, it shines! I can blast down road at up to 30mph without fear of losing handling ability.

If, however, you don’t want to get another suspension fork, Surly makes some that can work. You need a suspension corrected fork but only for 80mm. A Surly Troll fork will set you back about $130. Origin 8 has a suspension corrected fork for about $75. It doesn’t have all the fittings that the Surly does which makes it harder to use racks if you want them but it is cheaper.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-01-20, 06:46 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Re putting a rigid fork
I can't teach you, but it's in your best interests to learn and understand as much as you can about fork dimensions, rake, trail, so that you can be sure of a fork change. If not, you'll be at the whim of whatever suggestions given to you, either here or in a bike store, and you very well could be unhappy with possible handling changes.

if you don't have the interest in getting a handle on the details, you just want to be sure that an experienced, knowledgeable mechanic looks after you properly and informs you well about ride height, ride characteristics etc that will come with a change.

a number of years ago I thought of doing the same to my mtb, but for various reasons didn't go that route, but was very aware that I'd need to learn all about front geometry. I've always liked learning how to do things myself bike mechanics wise, a priority to me from the beginning of getting into touring, to be self sufficient.

the troll fork is a great fork. Sturdy and on my troll, has excellent load bearing characteristics with full panniers and handlebar bag, but of course all this is part and parcel of frame+fork designed together.

good luck getting proper info

ps, so despite all I wrote, cycco's idea of a lockable suspension fork also makes complete sense, and would allow for more off road trips...

Last edited by djb; 04-01-20 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-01-20, 08:13 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by djb

the troll fork is a great fork.
Surly should sell the Troll fork only in green so that it looks more like a cactus Whenever I see one, I’m confused as to how to use all the brazeons.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-01-20, 11:23 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
A few years ago I rode for one day with an Italian, he was doing just fine with his suspension fork on his bike. I do not know what brand or model the front rack is however. I think he had the fork locked out all day but I could not speak Italian and his English was poor, so we had lots of mis-communication so I could be wrong on that.

The whole day we were on a gravel road rated for all wheel drive only, so he had mountain bike tires, etc. Based on his planned route, sounded like two thirds of his tour would be on 4X4 roads, not pavement.

My point is, don't get too hung up on the fork, that is one of many decisions to make.
Old 04-01-20, 12:16 PM
djb

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Surly should sell the Troll fork only in green so that it looks more like a cactus Whenever I see one, I’m confused as to how to use all the brazeons.
Chuckle. My wife's troll is the newer version so has 11the Uber barnacle fork. Looks pretty darn silly and the bike probably weighs a lb more just cuz of the bloody bolts in it. I like having some spare bolts on a bike, and my troll has a couple I threaded into the back of brace braze ons for back up, but my wife's bike must have 10 unused ones. Maybe I'm exaggerating but your comment sums it up.
Old 04-01-20, 03:36 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Frankly, I ditch the current fork for a better suspension fork. Get one with a lockout.
I wouldn't be against a fork with a lock out, but doesn't the extra weight bother you? The stock fork has adjustments, but even on its stiffest setting, its still has some give. Can you recommend such a fork?
Old 04-01-20, 05:07 PM
cyccommute 

I wouldn't be against a fork with a lock out, but doesn't the extra weight bother you? The stock fork has adjustments, but even on its stiffest setting, its still has some give. Can you recommend such a fork?
The fork I have is a really good one that isn’t all that heavy. Unlike the Suntour you have, the Fox has aluminum steer tube and stanchions which brings the weight down. Having a little extra weight is offset by better control and comfort that comes from the front shock.

I like the lock out on both the Fox and Manitous. I’ve never had that much luck with Rock Shox’s lockouts. Since you have a 26”, it’s likely that you’ll have to look around a lot for a good used shock. I’ve bought a number off of Fleabay and never had a problem with the ones I’ve bought. If your bike currently has linear brakes in the front, you’ll have some trouble finding a really good newer shock with mounts. But if you are thinking about going to a new wheel, its easy enough to change over to a disc. If you look at my bike above you’ll see that I’m running a disc front and linear in the back. It works just fine.

Old 04-01-20, 05:13 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I have disc brakes all around... and I'm not afraid to buy a new fork if need be. I've been budgeting for a new bike for three years and since I'm resurrecting this one, I have some funds to play with.

A bit off topic.... will my BOB trailer mount up to a bike with disc brakes? The skewer is on my old touring bike and I just thought of that now if the BOB skewer is long enough. I guess I could go measure....
Old 04-01-20, 08:42 PM
djb

Re weights, my super old manitou suspension fork is rather light but it doesn't have a lock out. I've toured with it with a handlebar bag and it was still ok and didn't pogo enough to bother me, although its a foam insert old school job so while it works fine on road at highest tension, it's a fairly crappy off road fork now.
Old 04-01-20, 08:56 PM
cyccommute 

I have disc brakes all around... and I'm not afraid to buy a new fork if need be. I've been budgeting for a new bike for three years and since I'm resurrecting this one, I have some funds to play with.

A bit off topic.... will my BOB trailer mount up to a bike with disc brakes? The skewer is on my old touring bike and I just thought of that now if the BOB skewer is long enough. I guess I could go measure....
The BOB shouldn’t have a problem with the discs. The dropouts on your bike are flat and the disc caliper doesn’t hang over that far. Be thankful that you don’t have dropouts like this

I have two bikes with Breezer style dropouts, both mountain bikes and I can’t use a trailer on either one.