Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Dress Shoes For Commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-18, 04:56 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts

A co-worker was trying to convince me today, that a dress shoe was as stiff as a touring shoe. I think he was telling to fool me. It can't be right. Can any clear up this mess?
Old 04-27-18, 05:03 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
SPD-compatible, lotus-effect dress shoes would be sweet.
Old 04-27-18, 08:30 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I just carry a pair of very light dress shoes with me when I ride with my Keo cleats, and that is rare. I usually ride with running shoes and just wear them through the day.
Old 04-28-18, 07:46 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
A co-worker was trying to convince me today, that a dress shoe was as stiff as a touring shoe. I think he was telling to fool me. It can't be right. Can any clear up this mess?
Traditional dress shoes might have soles as stiff as touring shoes, but you wouldn't want to tour in them. These days many dress shoes have much softer soles for comfort and quiet.

I have a thirty-year old old pair of Salvatore Ferragamos you could still hammer a nail with, if that's something you'd want to do.
Old 04-28-18, 08:20 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
Originally Posted by alias5000
SPD-compatible, lotus-effect dress shoes would be sweet.
I’ve never considered wearing a dress shoe to commute, especially since I have clipless pedals. I wouldn’t even carry them as baggage since I have limited carrying capacity, especially on my carbon fiber commuter. Besides, I just wear sneakers at work.

In any case I would worry about scuffing them to ride in them, for example if using toe clips. I did post about good shoes once though, on the Touring Forum
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Good touring clothes!.When I first read the title, I put the emphasis on “good,” as in “nice as one might wear to go to a nice restaurant, or a theater show, or maybe a cocktail party and not stand out. When my wife and I crossed the country on our honeymoon, we were self-supported, and mostly in rural America...

When we arrived in our new hometown of Boston the day before I was to start my professional job, I had to shop for new clothes and shoes to wear to work.

We haven’t toured in a long time since then, but in the meanwhile we learned social ballroom dancing, and that’s our main entertainment activity. So even if we were to go dancing at a casual place, like a bar we both would like to have leather-soled shoes.

However, were we to tour nowadays, we probably would go credit-card, or on an organized tour, and shoes would take up less space than a tent.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-28-18 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-28-18, 08:56 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I dunno. Maybe. Not sure why it is an issue. Are you looking for a dress shoe you can ride to work in, without having to change shoes when you arrive? Many people do that with platform pedals. Or even with spd-sl pedals. My direct ride ride home in the evening is only 20 minutes so most days I don’t bother to change and just use my Ultegra pedals like they are platforms. Works fine with rubber soles, but I wouldn’t recommend it with leather.
Old 04-28-18, 04:27 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
If you wanted a semi-professional shoe that's also designed for riding the bike, Five Ten makes one called the "District Flats":
https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/FT86.html

On just the topic of shoe stiffness, I think any shoes with a relatively stiff sole are all going to be about the same. Studies showed that riding clipless vs flats makes either no difference in speed or the a most miniscule one. I doubt shoe sole stiffness really effects speed.
Old 04-29-18, 11:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Traditional Bike Racing shoes until the Clipless pedal scheme, started using synthetics,
were leather soles, and you rode them a while to get Marks on the sole from the pedal

before nailing the cleat on..

but they often put a strip of steel in them for stiffness..

Not a blanket true statement , does the Dress Shoe in Question have a steel shank?

If not, there are a lot of insoles with a stiff arch support in them, to make any shoe into a cycling shoe to commute in.

ask the guy to take his shoes off and insect them for that steel shank..

you find a steel shank in boots to support using a Shovel.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-29-18 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-30-18, 08:10 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,473 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
If you wanted a semi-professional shoe that's also designed for riding the bike, Five Ten makes one called the "District Flats":
https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/FT86.html

On just the topic of shoe stiffness, I think any shoes with a relatively stiff sole are all going to be about the same. Studies showed that riding clipless vs flats makes either no difference in speed or the a most miniscule one. I doubt shoe sole stiffness really effects speed.
It makes a huge difference for me, because without cycling shoes, I can't pedal with full force. It causes me pain. The cycling shoe eliminates the pain. My cycling shoes are as stiff as wooden clogs. I also find them comfortable to walk in, oddly enough.

I keep dress shoes at the office to change into.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-01-18, 10:46 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
It makes a huge difference for me, because without cycling shoes, I can't pedal with full force. It causes me pain. The cycling shoe eliminates the pain. My cycling shoes are as stiff as wooden clogs. I also find them comfortable to walk in, oddly enough.

I keep dress shoes at the office to change into.
Ah, you know, it's an online forum here with a lot of different people and a lot of different experiences.

For me it waa exactly the opposite - feet always hurt from stiff shoes and biking. Tried different shoes, road shoes vs mountain, different insoles, 2 different bike fittings, different bikes...

Was pedalling around trying to not put to much weight on my foot to avoid pressure and discomfort.

Switched to flat shoes - first chrome shoes, then five tens, that fixed it. Biking becane a lot more enjoyable and I no longer did a weird pedalling motion trying to avoid putting pressure on my foot.

Interesting that you had the exact opposite experience.

Old 05-02-18, 08:05 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,473 Times in 1,436 Posts
PaulRivers, yup, different bodies. I injured my feet permanently by riding and walking wrong all my life. Now I have bunions. The stiff soles allow me to apply full pressure without pain, which is why shoes actually make me faster. Strange but true.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-22-20, 07:20 PM
brandonbrzozo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
dress shoes for commuting fixed gear riding

I would be willing to bet that your coworker rides his bike using toe straps and/or quite possibly rides a single speed fixed gear bike which in my experience require some extra hardy pedal straps. I i find personally that dress shoes do in fact have very stiff soles and are often made of leather which will last a very longtime. Obviously the shoes will scuff up something fierce but an old pair that you don't care about anymore work great. I ride with power grip straps like the police use and i find that dress shoes are great because they are flat on the bottom and smooth on top this means the shoe slides into the straps and doesn't hang up on either the pedal grips or the bottom of the straps. Also having a pointy toe helps grab the strap in a hurry at red lights and other stops. Obviously this sort of thing is not a very popular style choice and a little off the beaten path but you shouldn't let that fool you dress shoes are great in the right applications. Also being a fixed gear rider dress shoe kinda come with the fixie culture. Watch a few of Terry Barensten's YouTube channel and you will see the trend. These riders may not be very good at following the rules but they sure know how to break them.
Old 02-22-20, 07:31 PM
brandonbrzozo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
p.s. a side note obviously clipless pedals are the most efficient cycling shoes and although the advantages are minuscule they are still rather noticeable. But i do find that straps and dress shoes are damn close. And the fact that leather forms to your foot means much better comfort lets face it cycling cleats are not always the most comfortable shoes to wear on or off the bike. Maybe the manufactures can take heed and learn from this making dress shoe shape shoes that are as light as high end carbon clipless cleats. Obviously there are some cycling shoes out there like this and I have also heard many people wear running shoes and free running parkour style shoes specifically pumas.
Likes For brandonbrzozo: