Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2020 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2020 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-20, 10:58 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Looking to do the Selkirk loop this fall maybe, it's about a 280mi (extendable far beyond that with side trips) which takes you through the Selkirk range and through the Kootenays in E Washington, N Idaho and BC. North America's longest free ferry takes you across Kootenay Lake.

I would love to hear anyone's experiences who's done it!!! Hit me up!
Old 01-24-20, 11:01 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by BikeWonder
Depending on funds and time,

Oregon Coast, Jasper-Calgary, Ontario trails, or the Kettle Valley Rail Trail.
I'm itching for a good tour.
I tried getting some of my friends into it, but they don't have more than a day to spare, so I'll just be going alone again.
I am in Spokane and am interested in the Selkirk Loop. Have you done it? I just posted about it. I love BC/Alberta!
Old 01-24-20, 04:12 PM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Update: Probably setting out from Richibucto area early August-ish.
Nice.

I've only done minimal bike touring so I'm glad to be here in Nova Scotia where we have some good options.

Kind of bummed I waited until late fall to get a touring bike though, I had hoped to be commuting more to work on it. Gotta up my game for the cold I suppose.
Old 01-25-20, 10:41 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
Looking to do the Selkirk loop this fall maybe, it's about a 280mi (extendable far beyond that with side trips) which takes you through the Selkirk range and through the Kootenays in E Washington, N Idaho and BC. North America's longest free ferry takes you across Kootenay Lake.

I would love to hear anyone's experiences who's done it!!! Hit me up!
That sounds like a great tour. 👍 I lived in Seattle for several years, and loved riding on the ferries. Sometimes the Orca whales come right up near the ferries, to socialize a bit. That’s pretty cool, in my book. 😎
Old 01-25-20, 03:30 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by stardognine
That sounds like a great tour. 👍 I lived in Seattle for several years, and loved riding on the ferries. Sometimes the Orca whales come right up near the ferries, to socialize a bit. That’s pretty cool, in my book. 😎
YES! My wife grew up in Friday Harbor. We lived in Bothell for a a year and I had clients on Kitsap Peninsula! WA State Ferries are the best!
Old 01-25-20, 08:05 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
YES! My wife grew up in Friday Harbor. We lived in Bothell for a a year and I had clients on Kitsap Peninsula! WA State Ferries are the best!
Ha, I have a step-sister & step-brother, who both grew up in Bothell. Cool area, with lots of bike trails. 👍 I liked to hang around Kenmore, where the sea planes land & take off pretty frequently. Lots of birds to watch, too.

I actually met Bill Gates out that way once. He likes ( or at least did) to cruise the thrift stores, and hope noone knows who he is. 🙄 I didn’t realize who he was at first, he just started saying some weird stuff, about old records I was looking at. Eccentric, yeah, that’s the ticket. 🤔😉
Likes For stardognine:
Old 04-01-20, 01:18 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Well ... I guess these are off the table this year!!

Did you get out for a long tour before the plague struck?

Do you have any travel hopes for 2021 or 2022?
Old 04-07-20, 07:00 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
So...I got an email from Delta yesterday. At this point, it's only waiving change fees and allowing re-scheduling (for up to 2 years out) for flights through the end of May. Mine is for mid-June. Guess it's waiting to see how things play out.
Old 04-07-20, 10:35 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Bike trip this year is off.

I do other outdoor activities to. There still is a good chance that I might do a backpacking trip in Aug/Sep in Northern Minnesota. A solo backpacking trip is the definition of social distancing. I did a two week backpacking trip there last year, Superior Hiking Trail. For this year I planned to mostly do part of the trail that was out of cell range but that was before the virus hit. But I think I would want to be in cell range this year, so if I go I will change my route to stay closer to rest of world communication.

And a solo canoe trip in Boundary Waters Canoe Area is possible in Oct, but that is too far in advance to plan.
Old 04-07-20, 11:31 AM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Bike trip this year is off.

I do other outdoor activities to. There still is a good chance that I might do a backpacking trip in Aug/Sep in Northern Minnesota. A solo backpacking trip is the definition of social distancing. I did a two week backpacking trip there last year, Superior Hiking Trail. For this year I planned to mostly do part of the trail that was out of cell range but that was before the virus hit. But I think I would want to be in cell range this year, so if I go I will change my route to stay closer to rest of world communication.

And a solo canoe trip in Boundary Waters Canoe Area is possible in Oct, but that is too far in advance to plan.
Re-evaluating as well. If things get relaxed a bit towards the end of summer we might still be able to pull something off, but not counting on it.

Back-country hiking trip sounds like a reasonable alternative.
Old 04-07-20, 12:04 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by Wiggle
Back-country hiking trip sounds like a reasonable alternative.
Yeah. Bike touring, you usually are re-supplying food every few days, and re-supplying in times of uncertainty can be stressful.

But backpacking you are 100 percent self contained for the entire trip. I would probably do some out and back kinds of trips, no more than five or six days to keep the food weight down. Then drive to a different entry point and repeat.
Old 04-12-20, 10:26 AM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
No place really far this year due to owning a business, but I plan on taking two trips, each one is a 3 day ride and 2 nights camping on the road. One is from Fort Wayne Indiana to South Haven state park in Michigan (when the parks open of course), spend about 2 days there; and the other is from the same place to Sterling Heights Michigan to see my brother just to surprise him that I came to his place on a bike instead of a car. I will do some shorter ones to go camping and fishing, those are one day to get there and spend two maybe three nights and come back.

I have to wait to retire and hand the business over to a management team, which will be in about 4 years, then I plan to do a trip across America.

I do other short 3 day trips as the years go by till retirement to other places, just haven't decided where yet.

At least these short trips will give me a chance to fine tune my touring stuff, so when I go across America all my stuff will be more than ready to go.