Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Where should we go in August?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-20, 09:26 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 980 Posts

My wife and I want to spend a week on a self-guided supported tour in August before she returns to her teaching job. I hate heat and she hates hills. Ireland? Denmark? Looking for ideas and experiences. Thanks!

Old 03-07-20, 10:50 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
The Netherlands is a place for the type of cycling that may fit your needs. Schiphol Airport is bike friendly. Check the Touring Forum; you will get some suggestions there.

Gouda

Last edited by Doug64; 03-10-20 at 02:16 PM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 03-08-20, 05:41 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
My wife and I want to spend a week on a self-guided supported tour in August before she returns to her teaching job.

I hate heat and she hates hills. Ireland? Denmark? Looking for ideas and experiences. Thanks!
Howdy neighbor,

Noting that you post from Manhattan, I have perennially posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Suggestions for next epic ride"

Personally. I'm very happy cycling in Metro Boston, and have posted an informal Cycling Guide to Metro Boston (link) that would make a nice hub and spoke tour of nine days (and is easily accessible from [NYC]).

It may seem parochial, but I think the cycling around here is great. One can be in scenic countryside within about one hour from downtown, while passing through an interesting, compact urban and suburban scene. Furthermore you can extend your range with a convenient Commuter Rail that allows fully-assembled bikes during off-peak hours. In Spring through Fall it’s a temperate climate.

Besides the cycling, Boston is such a popular tourist destination that there will always be something interesting to do off the bike…culture, nightlife, sports and so forth.

If you’ve never been here before, the experience may be even more…epic.

Originally Posted by spinnaker
Been years since I have been there. It is an awesome city. One of my top favorites. Was there with a co-worker for a conference. We had dinner in the Italian distinct…

If you ever get a chance to visit then go. A city well worth a visit.
... All my visitors have a great time here. Not to brag, but e.g....
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Well, all the ones which made it out alive ...
I really enjoy showing visitors around Boston on informal walking tours [or bikes], and I would offer that to a fellow BF subscriber, but I'm a pretty busy person, and would need a heads up to see if I'm available at a mutually agreeable time
Might not a simple, easily accomplished “getaway” be memorable (epic) in its own right, like the famous travel song.
Let's take a boat to Bermuda
Let's take a plane to Saint Paul.
Let's take a kayak to Quincy or Nyack,
Let's get away from it all.

Let's take a trip in a trailer
No need to come back at all.
Let's take a powder to Boston for chowder,
Let's get away from it all
FWIW, after decades I still have fond memories of my earliest cycle touring in my home state of Michigan. Tourism is, I believe Michigan’s second largest industry, and it’s largely a rural / forested state with a lengthy shoreline, an extensive road system, and numerous towns and facilities, including campgrounds, spaced at convenient cycling distances.

IMO, an excellent, though perhaps mundane getaway. Just sayin’…FWIW (even as a cross-country cyclist).

BTW, over the years I have responded to several of these threads with open-ended requests for travel destinations. One thing they have in common is that the OP never informs us of the final destination, much less how was the trip, even when requested to do so.
Old 03-08-20, 08:15 AM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Originally Posted by Doug64
The Netherlands is place for the type of cycling that may fit your needs. Schipholl Airport is bike friendly. Check the Touring Forum; you will get some suggestions there.

Gouda
Good point, thanks Doug64 . I traveled to the Netherlands for business in the early 90s, spent time in den Bosch and Amsterdam and enjoyed it a lot. Will check out possibilities.

Old 03-08-20, 08:22 AM
ascherer 

Where should we go in August?Howdy neighbor,

Noting that you post from Manhattan, I have perennially posted:
Jim from Boston , I should have noted that we’re thinking about “far away” destinations.

When I re-met my wife 10 years ago (we go back to High School but hadn’t seen each other but once in 36 or so years) she was living in Sudbury, having gone to Boston 30 years prior for grad school. The riding around those western suburbs is great, to be sure. We tend to visit the Cape annually and ride the excellent rail trails. In fact we’ll be there the last week in March.

Like you, I really enjoy riding in and around my home. Whether it’s from my door, if we hop on a train, or drive a bit out of the city, there’s an enormous variety of experiences to be had.

Old 03-09-20, 07:53 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Portland and Seattle area rides are best in July & Aug.

edit: I have a feeling tourism may be down in our area - so an excellent time to visit Olympic Peninsula. Short ferry hop to Victoria, more British than England.

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-09-20 at 09:19 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 03-09-20, 09:15 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Upper Michigan (from the pics I've seen)
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 03-09-20, 01:12 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
+1 this.

Or, anywhere around the shore of Lake Superior. North shore (Canada) has hills, and is pretty remote (towns few and far between), and only one road so traffic can be a concern, but a Crown Land camping permit will let you camp just about anywhere. South shore is flatter (except for Porcupine Mountains), more towns, less traffic.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 03-09-20, 05:55 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Finger Lakes?
Old 03-09-20, 06:56 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
My wife and I want to spend a week on a self-guided supported tour in August before she returns to her teaching job.

I hate heat and she hates hills. Ireland? Denmark? Looking for ideas and experiences. Thanks
FWIW, after decades I still have fond memories of my earliest cycle touring in my home state of Michigan.

Tourism is, I believe Michigan’s second largest industry, and it’s largely a rural / forested state with a lengthy shoreline, an extensive road system, and numerous towns and facilities, including campgrounds, spaced at convenient cycling distances.

IMO, an excellent, though perhaps mundane getaway. Just sayin’…FWIW (even as a cross-country cyclist).
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
+1 this.

Or, anywhere around the shore of Lake Superior. North shore (Canada) has hills, and is pretty remote (towns few and far between), and only one road so traffic can be a concern, but a Crown Land camping permit will let you camp just about anywhere.

South shore is flatter (except for Porcupine Mountains), more towns, less traffic.
As you may know, Michigan has two peninsulas, the Lower shaped like a Mitten, and the remote Upper, both with an extensive coastline. My personal experience was in the Lower Peninsula. My earliest touring was in Southeast Michigan. The “Thumb” is a popular resort destination.

My wife and I also did a memorable ride along the Northern tip of the LP, from Cheboygan on the index finger to Petoskey and Traverse City on the little finger, and back across to Cheboygan. The Traverse City area has become particular popular resort area. Along the way we took a ferry to well known, car-free Mackinac Island with the famous, elegant Grand Hotel:
Michigan's State Motto:

"Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice"

"If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you."

I'm a Michigan native and before moving to Boston on a cross country bike ride starting in Los Angeles, my wife and I toured in Michigan. I think tourism is the second or so biggest industy in the state, and it indeed is a sportsman's paradise.

We were campers at that time, and we planned our trips around the state park system, mostly in the Southeastern part, the most urban, centered around Detroit and Ann Arbor (a premier college town).

A really nice trip was at the tip of the lower peninsula from the Lake Huron to Lake Michigan sides, starting at Cheboygan to Mackinac at the tip, over to Traverse City and back to Cheboygan. I spent a month in the Upper Peninsula, and that is pretty rural. The Deparment of Natural Resources has a nice website with details of the State Parks:

https://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/

Feel free to PM me with any questions; Michiganians are imbued with Midwestern sensibility and friendliness
Originally Posted by Doug64
Michigan is a great place to cycle. The state has 2500 miles of bike trails, and some nice quiet roads in the rural areas. It is pretty easy to "roll your own" tour. My wife and I did two tours there, and both where very good. The first was a little over 900 mile loop around the Lower Peninsula.

The second was a finish to a longer tour where we hit Michigan at the ferry terminal in Ludington, and rode across the state to Detroit. The people were friendly, the drivers courteous, and the rides were good experiences for us.
Originally Posted by alan s
…I’ll be in Indiana around the Fourth of July… Was thinking Michigan, but don’t know much about that area. Mackinac Island looks interesting for a day trip...

I’d most likely ride for about a week, and would prefer to camp if possible. Also would prefer not driving much further west or too far north, since I ultimately need to drive back to the DC area.
,,A lot of my early touring was in the Metro Detroit / Ann Arbor area, still rural enough, on summer weekends (back in the 1970's), and we always found sites.

"Up North" are the real tourist destinations, probably north of about Midland, MI, and North of Bad Axe on the Thumb, as I recall back then.)
Originally Posted by jefnvk
You'd be surprised today, even the Detroit area campgrounds are getting overrun. I've gone overnight bike camping at Pinckney Rec Area, just west of Ann Arbor and a nice 30ish mile ride from home, even that on nicer non-holiday weekends can be hard to get a spot....

But yeah, in general places like Petoskey and Mackinaw are harder to get into. Lots of locals have no problem staying close to home, but there aren't many coming to the Detroit area for camping.
BTW, @ascherer, thanks for your gracious. personable reply to my first post suggesting Boston.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-09-20 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-09-20, 07:57 PM
ascherer 

Great suggestions! We got a recommendation to the Loire Valley which looks quite inviting. On the other hand, who knows about booking travel in these viral times...but I like these domestic ideas if not for now, then for future explorations.

Jim from Boston: you're quite welcome.

Old 03-09-20, 08:31 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
Day 1 of the Super Brevet Scandinavia route fits the bill for flat

https://ridewithgps.com/events/6723-...703413/preview

It includes three ferry rides, which is pretty cool though it does add logistics. Depending on the daily miles you want to cover, the towns could provide lodging options.

I really enjoyed riding in Denmark. It's different than riding in the states. Cycling is a normal activity, accommodated with infrastructure, but also cyclists are expected to follow the rules just as rigidly as are motorists. The laws are a bit different.

I'd say I enjoyed Sweden a bit more - see the day 2 route from the above link - but it's not as flat.

Cheers
Likes For downtube42:
Old 03-09-20, 08:41 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Finger Lakes?
The finger lakes were formed by glaciers tearing out huge chunks of land and depositing the dirt in lots of drumlins, it is some of the prettiest riding you can do but it isn't flat by any stretch.

I'll be doing the Erie canal this summer, lots of great little communities and very flat, also agree with Holland. I rode from Amsterdam to Paris and Holland was just beautiful and really flat.
And although I wouldn't exactly call it flat when your towing a trailer load of stuff to support three young kids who can't haul their own Prince Edward Island is fairly flat. The rail trail has nothing major on it though getting from the trail to one campground was 5 miles each way over some steep rollers with little flat in between. Some campgrounds have the trail going through them.

Last edited by Russ Roth; 03-09-20 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-09-20, 08:53 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Finger Lakes?
You were just north of this beautiful region when you did your cross county on Rt 20. It’s NY’s wine country, a bit flatter in the north and much hillier in the south. The Bon Ton Roulet 7 day ride wanders all over this area in July.
Likes For Steve B.: