Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

1 Nice Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

1 Nice Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-20, 12:47 PM
glenymact

Bikes: 1975 Fuji Special Tourer, 1984 Team Fuji, 2018 Salsa Fargo Gx, 20" dahon, 16" dahon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1 Nice Bike

Hi there,

I am looking to buy 1 nice road bike in the next year and am wondering what type of road bike i should get. My preffered type of ride is 2-6 hrs in a group or alone generally pushing as hard as the group will allow or going as fast as i can on my own. Currently riding old 10 speed steel frame road bikes and looking to upgrade. Based on this description i am thinking i would want an endurance road bike, but am slightly worried that if i don't buy the raciest race bike (not talking weight, just geo) that i will always be wondering "what if". I suppose an obvious solution would be to test ride a few different bikes before buying. I know the main difference between Road race and Road endurance is a slightly more relaxed geometry, clearance for larger tires, and sometimes some road vibration dampening built into the frame or a quasi suspension system (specialized roubaix). Anyways I am 29, fairly flexible and comfortable enough with plenty of saddle drop, just wondering if in the next 5-10 years i will be cursing the decision to buy a road race style bike vs endurance if that is what i end up choosing.

Thoughts, Opinions. Welcomed. I don't race but still get a kick out of going as fast as i can. Love hills too.
Old 03-19-20, 12:56 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
At some point you just have to make a decision and live it. To me, the sensible thing is to have both.
Old 03-19-20, 01:04 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I think you have to answer this question yourself by riding some. I would suggest picking a brand or two and taking a test ride on their endurance model and comparing it to their more race oriented model. Plenty of people do long distances on race bikes and plenty race on endurance bikes. Only you can decide what is most important to you.
Old 03-19-20, 01:34 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I wouldn't get too hung up on the suspension bits. With modern flexy seat posts and fat tires, they all ride pretty well. The ride/handling differences you'll feel will be mostly which tires are on the bike and how much air are in them.

The difference between the raciest geometry and an endurance bike is that the raciest bike (Allez Spint 56cm) will be 40mm lower in front than a similar Roubaix assuming your don't run any spacers (look at the Stack and Reach https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/s...ubaix-2018-56/ ). This extra lowness is only important if you intend on running no spacers under the stem and a -17deg stem. Unless you're always using your drops with your arms bent on your current bike, you can get both bikes in the same position . If you run a longer stem, you can always size down a frame - sometimes the difference between two frame sizes is that the head tube is just 20mm taller on the bigger size ( https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/s...ubaix-2018-56/ the 58 is just 30mm taller and 5mm longer ).

Also, you've got the stem and bars to play with. You can get deeper drops and a flatter stem (https://www.modernbike.com/syntace-111-mm-stems )
https://www.habcycles.com/stemchart2.GIF

Otherwise, unless you're buying an aero bike, it won't matter which kind of road bike you're on. The aero will be the same on a std road bike, endurance road bike, Allez Sprint, and gravel bike (looking at Tour Int test results) on the same wheels/tires. The aero bike will be 20-25w faster, which can mostly be fixed by cleaning up your cabling, running an aero handlebar, and assume both are running 2 water bottles. All the bikes will handle the same. All the bikes will scoot you down the road the same. The endurance bike will likely be able to run soft-road tires. The gravel bike won't be able run tall gearing, but will get you up to 35+ mph pedaling.

Last edited by jfranci3; 03-19-20 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-19-20, 01:39 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
I think a "middle of the road" race bike like a Giant TCR, Specialized Tarmac, Trek Emonda would be a good bet. So nothing overtly endurance/comfort or "aero". Handles well/quickly, light weight, snappy etc.
Old 03-19-20, 01:40 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I've had an aero bike, Fuji Transonic, a race bike, Specialized Tarmac SL6, and now I'm on an endurance bike, Giant Defy.

With the stem slammed on the Defy the stack is barely taller than the Tarmac was with a couple of spacers, so I can still get just as low as before. I've raced all three and there is no noticeable difference in speed between any of them. I wanted a longer wheelbase and longer front center (no toe overlap), so I ended up with an "endurance" geo. But I have no problem on A group rides, and even won a sprint against a guy on a Tarmac last time out (he's a strong sprinter, I was pretty happy about that).

Don't believe the marketing hype, get the bike you like with the geo you want and ride the crap out of it.
Old 03-19-20, 02:00 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by glenymact
.......... just wondering if in the next 5-10 years i will be cursing the decision to buy a road race style bike vs endurance if that is what i end up choosing.

Thoughts, Opinions. Welcomed............
Don't spend so much that you can't afford another bike in 5 - 10 years. Two bikes are better than one, right? After that the more the merrier! At least until your garage or house can't hold anymore and/or significant other says something has to go........

Race and endurance terms do sort of let you know a little about the frame geometry. But can be misconstrued to make bad assumptions too. If you are used to a low aero position, then go with the race fit if there is no overriding reason for an endurance fit bike.
Old 03-19-20, 02:08 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
50+ here
Prefer race geo, like that snap climbing out of the saddle
TL tires are plenty cushy if you are concerned about ride quality
Old 03-19-20, 02:28 PM
glenymact

Bikes: 1975 Fuji Special Tourer, 1984 Team Fuji, 2018 Salsa Fargo Gx, 20" dahon, 16" dahon

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
jfranci3 Thank you so much for directing me to this website. Going to spend hours on here in the future i am sure.

Don't spend so much that you can't afford another bike in 5 - 10 years. Two bikes are better than one, right?
Great advice, i do tend to hoard though, and i like to buy things that can last a lifetime so i can add miles, stories, and memories to the bike.

50+ here
Prefer race geo, like that snap climbing out of the saddle
TL tires are plenty cushy if you are concerned about ride quality
Good to know!

I'm glad that for the most part the consensus is that the difference isn't outrageous between the different sub categories of road bikes. This honestly makes me think i should just get an aero bike now. So i can enjoy maximum speed on descents .
Old 03-19-20, 03:18 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Great advice, i do tend to hoard though, and i like to buy things that can last a lifetime so i can add miles, stories, and memories to the bike.
I'm glad that for the most part the consensus is that the difference isn't outrageous between the different sub categories of road bikes. This honestly makes me think i should just get an aero bike now. So i can enjoy maximum speed on descents .
So this will narrow the field a bit.. aero and lasts a lifetime (aka Titanium)
one option

Last edited by Sy Reene; 03-19-20 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-19-20, 04:02 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Ironically, a plain TI bike is probably more aero than that because of the smaller tubes. That's the least aerodynamic aero bike I've ever seen. That's basically a Ti version of a Specialized Allez Sprint, which is not aero. External cabling, big ass down tube, big head tube, oval the-wrong-way down tube profile, round head tube, narrow fork, round seat stays, rear brake in the wind, , . The only thing that aero is the seat tube, which isn't important as your legs dirty up that air. They got the front hub right with the small body.

This is a proper aero metal frame - https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wBJZbRJOF7...150057_116.jpg
Old 03-19-20, 05:24 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
If you have a bike with a known stack and reach, that would be helpful in selecting a new ride. If you don't buy the wrong size, an endurance or racing bike may only differ by 2cm in stack and even less in reach, so 10-20mm of spacer and 17 or 6 degree stem can make a large difference in handlebar height.

My bigger concern would be buying a soon to be outdated bike, since 12 speed is already the standard for Campy and SRAM and only Shimano is lagging.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 03-20-20 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-20-20, 07:45 AM
Lrdchaos

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I think a "middle of the road" race bike like a Giant TCR, Specialized Tarmac, Trek Emonda would be a good bet. So nothing overtly endurance/comfort or "aero". Handles well/quickly, light weight, snappy etc.

I agree with your recommendations 100%. I ride a TCR and it’s the beat of both worlds. I can sit up and relax when I want or hit the drops and hang with the group at over 22mph.
Old 03-20-20, 11:37 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Yeah, totally. I currently own 2 road bikes - a (2016?) Specialized Venge Elite and a 2013 Giant TCR Advanced ICP. The Venge is decked out with all my "go fast" stuff, deep wheels, aero road bars, latex tubes etc. I race on it but I generally don't enjoy the harsh ride and poor handling. It does make an incremental difference as the speed goes up and up but it rides like crap.

The TCR is my daily driver, long ride, training bike. I love the thing - it's responsive, stiff and light but comfortable and stable at the same time. Amazing bike, certainly the nicely bike I've ever owned.
Old 03-20-20, 11:51 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Hi there,

I am looking to buy 1 nice road bike in the next year and am wondering what type of road bike i should get. My preffered type of ride is 2-6 hrs in a group or alone generally pushing as hard as the group will allow or going as fast as i can on my own. Currently riding old 10 speed steel frame road bikes and looking to upgrade. Based on this description i am thinking i would want an endurance road bike, but am slightly worried that if i don't buy the raciest race bike (not talking weight, just geo) that i will always be wondering "what if". I suppose an obvious solution would be to test ride a few different bikes before buying. I know the main difference between Road race and Road endurance is a slightly more relaxed geometry, clearance for larger tires, and sometimes some road vibration dampening built into the frame or a quasi suspension system (specialized roubaix). Anyways I am 29, fairly flexible and comfortable enough with plenty of saddle drop, just wondering if in the next 5-10 years i will be cursing the decision to buy a road race style bike vs endurance if that is what i end up choosing.

Thoughts, Opinions. Welcomed. I don't race but still get a kick out of going as fast as i can. Love hills too.
How about a nice endurance bike? The Giant Defy is a great candidate. If you want a race bike, the Giant TCR is also a good candidate.

You can't get better quality for the price you pay when you buy a Giant bike.