Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help! Eyes watering when I turn my head sideways

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-02-20, 09:57 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

Hi. I am hoping someone might have some insight in to what's going on with my eyes.

When I ride, I always ride with sunglasses. Specifically Oakley Flak Jackets. When riding head on, no problem. The problem happens when I turned my head to shoulder check at speed. Whenever I do this my eyes start to water. Badly. So bad that I have to look forward again and start blinking rapidly to clear my vision.

Anyone else have this issue? Would I different pair of glasses help? Or is this just an effect of getting older? I say this because I don't recall ever having this problem in my younger days. Or maybe I am just riding faster now

Thank you.
Old 04-02-20, 10:38 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Send me your shades. I’ll put a few hundred miles in while wearing them and report back if they’re the problem or not. No charge.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 04-03-20, 01:15 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Could be some sort of venturi effect where the small gap is causing the wind to speed up? Do you usually have the flak jacket in close or far more when this happens? Or does it happen in both equally?
Old 04-03-20, 06:58 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
A little costly, but I use (and am happy with) WideEyez helmet shield.
Old 04-03-20, 07:13 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
You have a lot of posts so you must have been riding for a while. One way or another, it has to be your glasses. That is, either the glasses are causing the issue or they're not protecting you from the wind. Try riding without the glasses to see if you have the problem. You probably need glasses that wrap better but it may also be air getting in around the nose guard.
Old 04-03-20, 08:05 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
You need better side coverage from your glasses - Flak Jackets aren't the most generous in this regard and how they fit w/r/t face contour can exacerbate things. I would look at some of the larger coverage glasses like Radar EVs (if they're still current).

Once you do get better coverage, then the trick is having them not fog up when you're moving slowly.
Old 04-03-20, 08:13 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
You need better side coverage from your glasses - Flak Jackets aren't the most generous in this regard and how they fit w/r/t face contour can exacerbate things. I would look at some of the larger coverage glasses like Radar EVs (if they're still current).

Once you do get better coverage, then the trick is having them not fog up when you're moving slowly.
Steampunk goggles might be the way to go. They'd look great with a black bike/kit. Or maybe some Tactical sunglasses. You never know what kind of situation you could run into. Better be prepared.

https://www.amazon.com/Steampunk-Vic.../dp/B00CY05ZSQ

Last edited by seypat; 04-03-20 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-03-20, 08:27 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by seypat
Steampunk goggles might be the way to go. They'd look great with a black bike/kit. Or maybe some Tactical sunglasses. You never know what kind of situation you could run into. Better be prepared.

Oooooh - and they have the nifty lenses for seeing the smaller fields on your GPS unit.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-03-20, 08:29 AM
Yonah

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Hi. I am hoping someone might have some insight in to what's going on with my eyes.

When I ride, I always ride with sunglasses. Specifically Oakley Flak Jackets. When riding head on, no problem. The problem happens when I turned my head to shoulder check at speed. Whenever I do this my eyes start to water. Badly. So bad that I have to look forward again and start blinking rapidly to clear my vision.

Anyone else have this issue? Would I different pair of glasses help? Or is this just an effect of getting older? I say this because I don't recall ever having this problem in my younger days. Or maybe I am just riding faster now

Thank you.
Not saying that you have these issues, but I do, might be worth checking out:
- My eyes have a wind sensitivity, when wind blows into them they start to tear up - almost exactly as you describe
- I also have bad seasonal allergies, and then season just started here in the Northeast
Old 04-03-20, 08:35 AM
seypat

In all seriousness, what type of speeds is the OP problem happening at? Might be time for an eye checkup/discussion with a professional. I forgot that isn't possible with the current stay at home orders.
Old 04-03-20, 09:02 AM
seypat

Oooooh - and they have the nifty lenses for seeing the smaller fields on your GPS unit.
You need to get the MIL out of Williamsburg if she is able to travel, especially, if you have an Agent Orange cult BIL reciting the teaching of Cheeto Jesus. Book her a "vacation" in the mountains. Put her out on the Eastern Shore. It's pretty in VA right now. Heck, put her in one of those cabins that Dan 333 stayed in at the Rivah. That's where my in laws live. It's nice over there. She'll thank you later.

https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus/

https://www.google.com/search?client...inia+mountains

Last edited by seypat; 04-03-20 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-03-20, 09:21 AM
WhyFi

You need to get the MIL out of Williamsburg if she is able to travel, especially, if you have an Agent Orange cult BIL reciting the teaching of Cheeto Jesus. Book her a "vacation" in the mountains. Put her out on the Eastern Shore. It's pretty in VA right now. Heck, put her in one of those cabins that Dan 333 stayed in at the Rivah. That's where my in laws live. It's nice over there. She'll thank you later.

Coronavirus

https://www.google.com/search?client...inia+mountains
Would if we could. Would if we could.
Old 04-03-20, 10:13 AM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts

Thank you.
This isn't your age nor your imagination. This is a pure case of the most expensive sunglasses available being inadequate because they are using insufficient material. As if the plastic was too damned expensive. If you have a pair of sunglasses that perfectly match your facial outline you can get away with using these sorts of sunglasses. After a billion dollars in glasses I am mostly using a couple of $10 Chinese knock-offs that work better than all than an older set of Bolle. The Bolle's are better but the lenses are aging and of course I can't find any new lenses for the Contour model.

Since it is almost impossible to fit the general population's faces those Oakley's that Lance Armstrong used were wide and deep and worked well. So why did they stop making them? Or perhaps only advertising them? After my experience with them there's no way I'm paying over $100 for a pair of sunglasses that don't have the performance of a pair of $10 Chinese sunglasses.
Old 04-03-20, 10:22 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by RiceAWay
...those Oakley's that Lance Armstrong used were wide and deep and worked well. So why did they stop making them? Or perhaps only advertising them?
High coverage glasses haven't gone away - https://www.oakley.com/en-us/collect...s-road-cycling

There are a number of companies with similar offerings.
Old 04-03-20, 10:58 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Could be some sort of venturi effect where the small gap is causing the wind to speed up? Do you usually have the flak jacket in close or far more when this happens? Or does it happen in both equally?
I have riding with the Flak Jackets for many years now and never had this problem. But what did change is my helmet. I switched over to a Kask Mojito and I remember reading how the helmet and some Oakley glasses did not play well together. As I think about it, the eye watering bit seems to have started with the new helmet. I suspect the Mojito has shifted the way the glasses sit on my head/ears just enough to allow wind in when riding at speed.

Originally Posted by Tony P.
You have a lot of posts so you must have been riding for a while. One way or another, it has to be your glasses. That is, either the glasses are causing the issue or they're not protecting you from the wind. Try riding without the glasses to see if you have the problem. You probably need glasses that wrap better but it may also be air getting in around the nose guard.
Good tip to try riding without my specs. I'll do that. And yeah, from the sounds of it I do need glasses that wrap better. Especially if my hypothesis about the helmet is correct.

Thanks for the suggestion re: the Radar EVs. If they aren't current, I am guessing Oakley has replaced them with something else. Good tip. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Yonah
Not saying that you have these issues, but I do, might be worth checking out:
- My eyes have a wind sensitivity, when wind blows into them they start to tear up - almost exactly as you describe
- I also have bad seasonal allergies, and then season just started here in the Northeast
Thanks. Allergy rise, I've always been pretty good. But I suppose anything can happen as we age. Perhaps my allergy resistance has changed over the years.
Old 04-03-20, 11:40 AM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Try something with a bit more coverage, like the Oakley Flight Jackets: https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product...t=888392342317

(I use a knock-off of these I got for like $20 on Amazon and while they may look a bit much, the shape/coverage is great for wind/fog issues..)
Old 04-03-20, 01:10 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts

Those look like the goggles that came with the oxy-acetylene torch kit I bought back in the early 80s:

Old 04-06-20, 08:44 AM
Yonah

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks. Allergy rise, I've always been pretty good. But I suppose anything can happen as we age. Perhaps my allergy resistance has changed over the years.
Allergies definitely change - both food and airborne allergens. Although re-reading your case, it seems doubtful, as you didn't mention you have symptoms when not riding.