Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Remember your first century (100 miles)?

Old 01-17-07, 01:21 PM
jwaybrig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first century was last October and was a bit anti-climatic. I was doing an 8 day supported ride from San Francisco to San Diego. Our usual daily mileage was between 80 and 92 but on the last day three of us decided to ride all the way to the Mexican border. We started to run out of daylight so did a fast (by our standards) pace line of around 22 mph for the last 10 miles. Actually, our strongest rider pulled for the last 10 miles and I did all I could to not lose the wheel of the woman in front of me! We ended up with 105 miles for the day. I was happy we'd made our goal and finished the tour but the ride didn't seem much harder than the other days (and easier than the Big Sur section). I think I'd have been more excited about finishing my first century if it hadn't been part of a tour.

One thing I found interesting about that ride was for the first three days my legs felt worse each day. After that they started feeling stronger each day. It exhilarating when I started climbing in a gear other than my lowest! However, my butt got a little worse every day until the last day I wore two bibs and stayed out of the saddle all I could and it still sucked. If I did a longer ride I'd have to work on that issue since I don't know how many more days my butt could have lasted.
Old 01-17-07, 02:24 PM
Mike45

Bikes: Trek 5200 (2006)Teledyne Titan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are great stories.

My first century was during RAGBRAI last year. The Newton to Marengo day was supposed to be a century (with the optional loop). I did the optional loop and ended up in camp about 10 miles short. I turned around and headed back out of town for 5 miles then back to camp I went for a total of 100.27 miles.

The next day was my longest ride to date. I rode from Marengo to Coralville then on to Bettendorf for a total of 121.33 miles. {I had to get to town for my nephews wedding}

The next day I ran the Bix 7 with my brother.
Old 01-17-07, 03:14 PM
mander

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My first cent, a solo ride around Greater Vancouver BC on my Devinci Caribou last September. It took me around nine hours---pretty slow I guess. It was fun!

Old 01-21-07, 05:28 AM
Michelangelo
Chocolate and nap

Bikes: Old Peugeot PX10, '1974 custom Gemini racing bike, custom Singer randonneuse (Levallois, France) and Randocycles mountain bike w/rear panniers

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1977. My first and sole century (as you call them here, in miles;-)) was in spring 1977 in Palo Alto, Ca. I had my first racing bike, long converted for hauling luggage and carried all the way from France with the intent to resell it to the natives here. A US friend brought me into this venture, together with a japanese friend of ours who had never ridden a bicycle longer than 20 miles I guess. He was nicknamed "umasan" (horse) by his friends and he made it. I was quite amazed by the funny food served alongside centuries or running races in California. Most striking were these whitish sprouts calle "Soja" (or soy, can't remember) people were handpicking in a platic contained where these wormish things had been grown on artificial soil. I have never seen these things again. Of course, the century was wonderful on the little coastal hills between Palo Alto and the Ocean. Gorgeous. I had ridden before in France and still do, but that does not qualify for centuries. Note: I ultimately brought my bike back to France as I failed to receive the outrageously high quote I had expected from the natives ;-) and still have it here, repainted orange and equipped for easy dismantling for air transportation
Old 01-25-07, 01:20 AM
Duggle
Multipass

Bikes: Lenz, Turner, Cannondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mexicali to San Felipe, I think it was 1980. This was a mostly flat 200k, I rode it on a Voris Dixon BMX/cruiser singlespeed with fairly high gearing. About 16 miles of road had washed out from flooding and the temporary surface was a horrible dirt, gravel and cobble rock mix. Many of the roadies that were riding this section were getting flats, others were getting carried through by support but my 26 x 1.75 tires were a real help on the dirt. Other memories include perfect weather, a pretty easy, enjoyable ride, great fish tacos and lots of partying in San Felipe after the finish.
Old 01-25-07, 08:30 AM
iherald

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had told everyone (including a charity and sponsors) that I was going to ride my bike across Canada this past summer. I had never gone further than 100km at a time when I made that pronouncement. So I started training. One day I realized that I had gone 70km, and if I went another 10km and turned around I'd make it to a century. I did.

I got home and was dead! Everything hurt. I had no energy, but I did 100miles.

Needless to say, I rode across Canada without a major problem, raised $110 000 for kids with cancer, and it all sort of started with that first century.
Old 01-25-07, 10:06 AM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by iherald
I had told everyone (including a charity and sponsors) that I was going to ride my bike across Canada this past summer. I had never gone further than 100km at a time when I made that pronouncement. So I started training. One day I realized that I had gone 70km, and if I went another 10km and turned around I'd make it to a century. I did.

I got home and was dead! Everything hurt. I had no energy, but I did 100miles.

Needless to say, I rode across Canada without a major problem, raised $110 000 for kids with cancer, and it all sort of started with that first century.
BRAVO! iherald, you're a hero!! what's next?
Old 01-25-07, 10:55 AM
rmikkelsen

Bikes: '78 Chris Kvale, '87 Paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was in about 1978, the Minnesota Ironman. It was on my first 10-speed, a Japanese "Crystal" heavy old thing. The last 10 miles or so were really tough, followed immediately by a long long bath. I've done a lot of 50-60 mile rides since, but was never motivated to notch a century. Now in my 50th year, after getting back into biking seriously last year, I plan to do my second one.
Old 02-21-07, 12:33 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Great stories! Thanks, Machka. 1963, solo ride around Cayuga Lake (Finger Lakes district in NY) in 6-1/2 hours. On a blue and chrome all-Campy Legnano 10-speed, 48-52 in the front and 12-29 in the back IIRC. Wish I still had that bike! Stopped once, at 50 miles. Ate 1 orange, 1 candy bar, and drank two 15 oz. bottles of water. I probably rode about a 60 cadence, all the way on the drops. I could hardly walk afterwards. Clear, warm, summer day. I'll never forget it. But I'm faster now!
Old 02-22-07, 01:40 PM
cgallagh
DoubleTrouble

Bikes: 06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first century was February 10, 2007 Tour de Palm Springs. My wife and I did it on our tandem. It was her 6th or 7th century but first on a tandem. I started riding in October 06 and turned 53 in November. My wife and her riding partners set me on an excellarated training schedule. Our first training ride was 50 miles. I was dying at the end. They were very supportive but set the bar high. Since October we have over 1K on the bike and still going strong. I rode hard in Palm Springs but enjoyed every bit. About 1/2 way between the last two SAGs we were in the flats spinning in a good gear at 20-22 mph and I said out loud to my wife that I was starting to get a little worn out. A voice behind me (not the wife) said you're doing great. You're pulling a crowd at 20+!. I turned around to see about 30 bikes in my draft and got this amazing surge of energy. At the end I felt we could do another 50 easy.

Onward to Solvang in March.

"If you don't use it, you lose it."

Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy S**T, What a Ride"
Old 02-22-07, 05:24 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've never officially done a century... yet. I'm pretty sure I've ridden over 100 miles in a day on several occasions, but never actually measured it. The closest I've ever come with a computer on the bike was 93 miles last summer and I had to take a bus the last 3 miles home because I forgot to eat!

I'm registered for the Triple Bypass this summer, though.... 120 miles, 10,300 feet of climbing! Should be fun!
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 02-22-07, 05:46 PM
Dewbert
Mettle to the Pedals

Bikes: Giant Cypress hyrbrid, Giant OCR2, Giant OCRc2, Giant Suede (wife's)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coupla seasons ago. Mine was also a last minute decision. I was planning on doing a metric because the farthest I had rode to that point was 50 miles on my hybrid. I had upgraded to a road bike a week or two before and the urge just struck me, so I took off on the century route. I was the slowest person on the course and was the last rider back in that day, but I was pretty proud of myself. Since then I've done several, supported and unsupported. I'm still slow, but still have a great time....and it's kinda cool when people think you're some sort of a freak for routinely riding over 100 miles in a day.
Old 02-22-07, 09:59 PM
JeffRoss
Cheyenne Commuter

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot UO8 (many, many upgrades ;-)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spring, 1976, Bozeman, MT to the Lewis and Clark Caverns past Three Forks and return, for what we figured at the time was 130 miles. I was riding a stock Peugeot UO8, and my friend Marc Pitman was on his PX10. I had one water bottle and refilled it at the caverns. I was really struggling the last 30 miles or so, but we did it in something like 11 or 12 hours.

The thing I remember most was that was the very first year I saw a sunblock (PreSun) which cost over $5 for a bottle--a freakin' fortune for a starving student--but It Actually Worked! I'm a lightskinned redhead (mostly grey now ;-) and the only place I got burned was on my left inner thigh where I wiped my leg with my gloved hand. I had a lobster red patch the width of my palm about 3 inches long.

I still ride the same UO8 as my commuter now, although there is precious little of the original components left with more upgrades planned Real Soon Now.
Old 02-25-07, 02:23 PM
spingineer
Spinning like a gerbel

Bikes: Seven

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
My first century was Solvang, but can't remember the exact year (~ '92-94). I've done a number of them since.

I remember a bunch of my friends doing centuries, and they would always say how great Solvang is. After saying no for several years, I finally decided to do it. I don't think I did any special training, other than weekly rides, with distances of 50-60 miles, twice a weekend. My eating habits were still bad ... I have issues with my dietary consumption .... I just love salt and sugar too much.

The trap I fell into was the adrenaline of riding my first century. I was a bit hard the first 25, then tailed off slightly, but still kept up a good pace as I reached mile 50. I was considerably slower through mile 65, then as the Foxen Cyn climb came, I was just puttering. After that, it was just a struggle to finish the ride. I remember the very last hill (which was probably a 3% grade for 1/4 mile), I was struggling so much that I accidentally clipped the guy in front of me. All was okay, but really embarrassing for me.

I did make it to the finish alright, but it was quite an experience for my first century. I think the key here was getting enough miles in before the century, to build up my endurance. Lessons to be learned later on.
Old 02-25-07, 02:57 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,560 Times in 2,090 Posts
I started riding in early April 1982. I didn't have any mentors or friends involved in cycling, so everything i learned came from books and experience the hard way. So, my wife buys me this little book that tells you how to ride 100 miles in 10 hours or less in 10 weeks of training. I was already doing the equivalent of week 3 or so and I started there, building my mileage up for the big one.

Anyway, at week 9, which was about 2.5 months after my first adult bike ride, I was supposed to ride 75 miles, and i did. However, I felt so good that I continued and finished the 100 miles. Mind you, this is only 2.5 months into my cycling career.

I didn't know better. I had the impression from everything that i read, that real cyclists go out and ride centuries every weekend. So, I did. It wasn't until I joined a club a month or so later that i found out that centuries were "special."

Old 02-25-07, 02:59 PM
spingineer
Spinning like a gerbel

Bikes: Seven

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I didn't know better. I had the impression from everything that i read, that real cyclists go out and ride centuries every weekend. So, I did. It wasn't until I joined a club a month or so later that i found out that centuries were "special."
In that case, you are ready for double centuries.
Old 03-13-07, 10:51 AM
O-Town

Bikes: Seven Axiom Steel, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first centruy was acctually 125 miles. It was an organized ride from Pacifica to Montery California put on by the Oakland Yellow Jackets every fall. I remember most of that ride like it was yesterday even though it was 4 years ago. We started at day break in Pacifica and headed South down hwy 1 to Santa Cruz for lunch. The ride finishes in Pacific Grove.

Things I remember most

The strawbery fields in Watsonville...the first decent out of Pacifica on PCH and the view!...eating everything in site when I finished.
Old 03-13-07, 08:33 PM
Dellphinus

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first century was a solo, and quite by accident, not design. I had been training all summer to dothe MS150 in Columbia, Mo. I was worried sickover it, had never ridden over 60 miles back to back days. I did the 150, without having to walk up any of the hills. Got back, and didn't have any desire to ride the bike for 3 weeks. Got up one saturday morning, and decided to do my 60 mile out and back I hd been using to prep for the 150. When I got to the turnaround point, I was on a MUP that lead another 20 or so miles to the Gateway Arch, so I kept going. Made it to the Arch, popped in to a Subway for a sammich and about a dozen cookies, and started back. Had no issues at all, but at my last stop (I had been taking a food break every hour) I just couldn't eat any more. The last 15 miles had a climb from the river bottom up the bluffs, followed by a 10 mile flat into a 10 mph headwind. There are several small hills after that- I bonked (kinda) on the first one. Took 15 minutes and ate a Cliffbar, and nursed it home. came in and the kids said "Boy, you were gone a long time, where'd you go?" It was about a week before they believed me. Averaged 15 mph, done several since, but that ride to the arch and back is still my fav.
Old 03-13-07, 11:02 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Mt first century was purely accidental.....
I took off and next thing I realized I was 60 miles from the house! I had the choice of riding home or calling the wife to come get me! I opted to ride home because I still felt pretty good! I just got lost in the ride!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 03-19-07, 09:29 AM
Brusheda

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
My first century was yesterday (March 18, 2007)! Whoo hoo! 103.41 miles in 7 hours. It was the Sarasota Tour de Cure. The set up a great ride with clear directions and great support volunteers. Despite start temperature in the 40's, I was able to accomplish my goal. About an hour into the ride it started to warm up a bit. There were a lot of crosswinds and head winds and very few tail winds. I felt great until mile 80 when I started to have muscle pain in my lower back. At mile 100, my back started to kill me. the last 3 miles were brutal! All of my training paid off and I have reached my goal!
I started at 7:30 am
and finished at 2:30 pm
Right now it still doesn't seem real. Me, ride 100 miles? That's ridiculous! When I think of it I start to laugh.

Old 03-19-07, 09:30 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Man, I thought that first one was tough. The last 25 seemed a killer. It was on the California coast at no less than Big Sur. Centuries are no big deal in the Great plains states.
Old 05-18-07, 10:16 PM
mike alanko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gran premio gearing

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Great stories! Thanks, Machka. 1963, solo ride around Cayuga Lake (Finger Lakes district in NY) in 6-1/2 hours. On a blue and chrome all-Campy Legnano 10-speed, 48-52 in the front and 12-29 in the back IIRC. Wish I still had that bike! Stopped once, at 50 miles. Ate 1 orange, 1 candy bar, and drank two 15 oz. bottles of water. I probably rode about a 60 cadence, all the way on the drops. I could hardly walk afterwards. Clear, warm, summer day. I'll never forget it. But I'm faster now!

hey carbon, your 63 premio would have had 47-50 up front and 14-26 in the back. mine does
Old 05-19-07, 12:03 AM
Scottyoz
1 Corinthians 9 V 24-27.

Bikes: Dean Titanium, Mercian Audax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
200 kms of sheer hell, hilly windy and wetfrom start to finsh, oh what a day
Old 05-19-07, 05:56 AM
wardie

Bikes: Giant OCR 3, Kubachi, Trek 820, Iron Horse Trail, 74 Schwinn LeTour, 95 Schwinn LeTour, Ross Euro Tour, Miayata

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My first Century was back to back

My first Century was this years TOSRV. Back to back centuries! Great day on Saturday. No wind, blue skies, lots of sun and low 70's. Sunday alot more tired, had to climb out of the ohio Valley with a headwind and it took me about 4 hours more to get home. All in all I'm glad I did it and survived. A good memory. Wardie
Old 05-19-07, 07:30 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,852 Times in 4,397 Posts
My first century was in 1988 on a ride called The Tour de Turkey, because it was held on Thanksgiving weekend. I had done one 75 mile training ride and was kind of sick. It was fairly flat for California, but the support wasn't too good and I remember whining and sniveling for the last part because I didn't think I could make it. One of my friends stayed with me, but the other took off. I guess he couldn't listen to me anymore. My second century was a few months later at Solvang and I had a much better time and enjoyed the ride.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.