Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cinelli Aliante

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cinelli Aliante

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-09, 03:17 AM
GCRad1
Newbie since 1971

Bikes: 1983 Miyata 110 w/ 2010 CampyRecord •*Cinelli Aliante (broke) •*2005 Pinarello Prince (broke) •* GT Zaskar, Diamond Back Mission Three, REDLINE PL-20, REDLINE PL-24

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cinelli Aliante

I am building my first road bike! So I may as well be a snob about it and go all Italian!

I've been commuting and MTBin' on my old GT Zaskar Mountain Bike for years.
Then I had to take a break from the dirt as I broke my neck in 2007 [MX-accident]. My return saw my MTB transform to MTB'Road'mutter...

So, all the riding on the road with the MTB finally led me to make the jump.

Enter Mr. CINELLI ALIANTE

The beginning of my first Italian steed.

The Cinelli Aliante

Purchased from Open Road Bicycle Shop - Pasadena, CA
<a href="https://local.yahoo.com/info-20618606-open-road-bicycle-shop-pasadena" rel="nofollow">local.yahoo.com/info-20618606-open-road-bicycle-shop-pasa...</a>

What is an "Aliante?"
Italian: aliante [glider]
1. a motorless, heavier-than-air aircraft for gliding from a higher to a lower level by the action of gravity or from a lower to a higher level by the action of air currents.
2. a porch swing made of an upholstered seat suspended from a steel framework by links or springs.
3. a person or thing that glides.
4. a person who pilots a glider.

Purchased from Open Road Bicycle Shop - Pasadena, CA
(626) 683-9986 -- 60 N Sierra Madre Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91107

Year of MFG: 2005
SERIAL #: D2RX001
Color/Finish: Frame: Soft-Touch Clear | Carbon-rears&fork: Natural-Clear
Seat height / Inseam Formula:
29-inseam & 73cm - Saddle Height: 64.5cm
30-inch inseam & 76cm - Saddle Height: 67.1cm

D2RX 001 Chromosomes or DNA unknown - either way, it's #001 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
According to Open Road, frame was purchased at Interbike as a display bike. The owner purchased the bike intending to ride it himself. He pulled it down to the frame/fork/stem/post level and just never got it built as he has two other bike bikes he rides on the regular. It was sitting there for some time and then here I come a few years later with new excitement, saw it, wanted it! That frame hanging there was speaking to me! Yes, the frame spoke to me, it called me out!

It's the Cinelli Solido on steroids. The Solido Magnum is much lighter than any other over-size stem. Its over-size section make it ultra-rigid. The Solido Magnum is CNC machined inside and out from a solid block of Al 2030 T6. Wall thicknesses vary according to structural requirements. Black polished and matte black anodized. Titanium screws. Reversible rise.

weight : 135.0g
colors : Black--Matte/gloss anodising
materials : Al 2030 T6
Clamp diameter: 31.8
clamp diameter: 28,6 mm (1 1/8 - with reduction sleeve to 25,4mm
rise x length : +-10° rise x 90,100,110,115,120,130mm

This bad boy has been sitting in my office for way too long! I purchased this frame-set from Steve at Open Road Bicycle Shop in Pasadena on June 27th, 2008. It's time to build!

Last edited by GCRad1; 01-17-10 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-06-09, 04:54 AM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
^^^ Nice frame. When built, show us more pics.
Old 02-06-09, 05:12 AM
coldass
Just for fun...

Bikes: Cinelli Pro Estrada, Serotta Ti, De Rosa Neo Primato, Turner Flux and Spot, Baum Espresso, Yeti ARC-X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Cinelli. Mines not the same as yours, I have a Pro Estrada, but I have a friend who rides your frame and he loves his also. Cinelli is a rarer frame on the streets and one others 'will rue' without having to fuss and show-off your steed. You have a great ride to look forward to.

I hope your going Campy? I'm about to hit a pair of Fulcrum 1's or 3's for mine. And am thinking about some of the new Centaur alloy 10-spd ergo brifters even though I have Chorus 10sp 07. The vintage of your frame might look great with the full alloy Centaur group?
Old 02-06-09, 11:33 AM
hocker

Bikes: Road and Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love this frame, haven't seen one in a while. You should consider the new Rival group, nice looking, light and a good value. Bicycle Magazine did a nice write-up on this group recently. Your bike would look sweet with a set of AM 420's, peel-off the rim stickers. White bar tape (though super popular right now) and white seat, or the Terry silver seat, like 200 grams.

Post when you get it done.
Old 02-06-09, 11:38 AM
MONGO!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a soft spot for Cinelli's, that looks great.

Put some Campy on it.
Old 02-06-09, 12:22 PM
Booger

Bikes: KHS Flite 750

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm usually not one to give even the slightest crap about aesthetics (I have red pedals on my entirely blue/black bike because it's what was available at PBK), but Cinelli has it right. Now trick it out with Ram components and get on the road.
Old 02-06-09, 04:18 PM
mloywhite
Certified Train Wreck

Bikes: '07 Orbea Orca "06 Bianchi Castro Valley

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love that frame, a friend of mine had a white one for awhile. Post some photos as soon as you are done.
Old 02-06-09, 05:16 PM
GCRad1
Newbie since 1971

Bikes: 1983 Miyata 110 w/ 2010 CampyRecord •*Cinelli Aliante (broke) •*2005 Pinarello Prince (broke) •* GT Zaskar, Diamond Back Mission Three, REDLINE PL-20, REDLINE PL-24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CAMPAGNOLO SCIROCCO G3 Wheels

Got some hoops-lace and flanges...

SCIROCCO's are not the top of the line...

SCIROCCO's are not the bottom of the line...

But like I said, I'm going to be a snob of sort about it...
They bear the Groupo family name CAMPAGNOLO!!!
C - A - M - P - A - G - N - O - L - O

Last edited by GCRad1; 02-06-09 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-06-09, 06:00 PM
Ralleh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks nice, I like it a lot.
Old 02-06-09, 11:52 PM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cinelli makes the best bikes in the whole world.
Old 02-07-09, 05:21 AM
coldass
Just for fun...

Bikes: Cinelli Pro Estrada, Serotta Ti, De Rosa Neo Primato, Turner Flux and Spot, Baum Espresso, Yeti ARC-X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good call...
Old 02-07-09, 05:22 AM
coldass
Just for fun...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rufvelo
Cinelli makes the best bikes in the whole world.
Your wrong..... in the universe!Cinelli
Old 02-07-09, 02:49 PM
GCRad1
Newbie since 1971

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CAMPAGNOLO Extended Family

CAMPAGNOLO RECORD GROUPPO
Picked up the Record 10-Speed Grouppo and very appropriate for this year frame.

So, as you can imagine, there really is no choice when choosing a component grouppo for this fine Italian brand - Cinelli...

I did say I was going to be a snob about it... How ridiculous is that term, "SNOB" as I myself had only heard of the term, never "experienced" the term... but there is this very eccentric feeling with regard to the Campagnolo brand. I’ve known the brand my whole life. I did own a BMX shop in the early eighties. I did have an old commuter for school that was adorned with Campagnolo and only wish I had kept that bike. But with life comes knowledge.

If Campanology is study of the physical realities of bells and Campagnolo is one of the most prestigious names in cycling, then there has to be someone who is a Campagnologiest!

His name must be Chuck Schmidt. “Chuck Schmidt”, if typed into Google along with “velo-retro” will result lots of links with terms like cycling historian, vintage, collector and even fixed gear! For those old enough, fixed gear will not be of any shock. For those new or young, you may wonder, “who is this guy and what does he have to do with fixed gear?” And “Why do I bring up Chuck Schmidt” and “what does he have to do with Campagnolo,” you might ask…

Again in Google, just type in “Chuck Schmidt” and Campagnolo and will result about 197 items, top one being “Original Campagnolo Timeline” via Velo-Retro, Chuck’s website! Original… that’s serious stuff for any enthusiast!

To get yourself in a bit deeper, there is the Campy Only website, and you can scroll down the front page and see “THE CULT – Campagnolo makes the most seductive bicycle components in the world – just ask the believers” as it is a link to download a pdf. A very worthwhile read and yes, Chuck Schmidt is in there too.

I took this shot of Chuck Schmidt of Velo-Retro.com at the 2006 Interbike - Cinelli Booth.

How do I know about the 35-years of Chuck Schmidt and 35-years of riding fixed? No, I have not been there with him through the years… I met him in 2007 through a co-worker. While my co-worker has been responsible for getting me into road bikes as I peddled my brains out on my mountain bikes with road wheels, I also got to meet Chuck. Chuck is not one to tell you just who he is and what he has done. Luckily for me, my co-worker would point me in the direction of which I am now pointing you. But the story Chuck did tell me is why he rides and how he started riding late in life, his mid-30’s, and his story has been very inspirational and meaningful. His perspective on “life” in general has been a great insight for me.

All of this has only been reinforcement and further enlightenment of what I knew from an early age, Campagnolo is more than just a brand, it’s a CULT and I WANT IN!!!

You may say, look at this guy, living in California, hanging out with some way cool folks… yea, VERY LUCKY!!! Considering I grew up in the woods riding motorcycles, flat-tracking at Talladega, a little go-karting, listened to birds, drove down dirt roads in my dads truck, a little farming, coon-hunting with my uncle, shot guns for fun and then a skateboard and a magazine came into my life... IN ALABAMA! That was nineteen-seventy-seven.

Last edited by GCRad1; 04-12-09 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-07-09, 03:15 PM
RichinPeoria
175mm crank of love

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GCRad1

Year of MFG: 1995
SERIAL #: D2RX001

According to Open Road, frame was purchased at Interbike as a display bike. The owner purchased the bike intending to ride it himself. He pulled it down to the frame/fork/stem/post level and just never got it built as he has two other bike bikes he rides on the regular. It was sitting there for some time and then here I come a few years later with new excitement, saw it, wanted it! That frame hanging there was speaking to me! Yes, the frame spoke to me, it called me out!

weight : 135.0g
colors : Black--Matte/gloss anodising
I like that color and the history of the frame is interesting. I like how you staged your photos.
I have a 2007 Cinelli Xperience in matte electric blue I recently build up with a Campagnolo gruppo and Cinelli parts. I like it alot and it seems to attract the attention of most roadies I see when Im riding.
Cinellis are cult bikes it seems.
Old 02-07-09, 03:35 PM
RichinPeoria
175mm crank of love

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im lusting after the Cinelli Pro Estrada now

Old 04-12-09, 10:23 AM
GCRad1
Newbie since 1971

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campagnolo Record Group 10-Speed Ultra-Torque Cranks

Campagnolo Record Group 10-Speed Ultra-Torque Cranks

Getting excited! Doing my research and petting the carbon!

Big Ring - 53-tooth | Small Ring - 39-tooth

Campagnolo Crank Arm: The Record™ crank arms are entirely hollow, NOT like Chorus™ Crankset that uses an uncompressed low density foam in the interior. This gives the Record™ cranksets a significant weight advantage and the associated increase in cycling efficiency. This is predominately what you are paying the extra dollars for when you jump to Campy's top line of bicycle components. The Record cranksets are approximately 75g lighten than the Chorus crankset.

Multi directional carbon fiber is laid down the length of the crank arm to create rigidity in all directions.A second layer of unidirectional fiber is added in strategic locations to reinforce points of peak load to create an extremely rigid carbon crankset.

* From 2007 on, the Record™ crankset is only available in the Ultra-Torque (UT) design where the axle is split in half in the middle of the bottom bracket shell. (more information - Ultra-torque Campagnolo Crankset)
* Spider and crankarm are fabricated as a single carbon fiber unit and each half axle is molded directly into this carbon crankarm-spider combination offering significant weight advantages. (pre 2007 there was an aluminum option, but today the Campagnolo Record crankset is only made in carbon fiber and only Ultra-torque design)
* the fifth spider arm is hidden behind the crankarm to give added strength. This allows the chainring bolt to attach the chainrings directly to the crankarm adding rigidity to both the crank arm AND the chainrings
* metal is only used in the threaded interfaces and fixing bolts necessary for pedals and the fifth &quot;hidden&quot; spider arm and of course the axle.
* Bearings are press fitted onto the half axle, rather than mounted within the bottom bracket cups

Campagnolo Record Chainrings:

* nickel plated chainring (this is the upgrade from the Chorus line)
* use a anti-friction coating for smoother chain-chainring interaction, and longer life for both the chainring and the chain.
* chainrings use a 135mm bolt center diameter, unique to Campy
* Chainrings are NOT interchangeable with other brands
* uses alloyed chainring bolts (lighter than the steel bolts used on the Campagnolo's Chorus crankset)
* 53-39 or 50-34 compact option
Pedal Spindle Holes: 9/16&quot; x 20 tpi threads

Q-factor: (the distance between the pedals) the new ultra torque Record crankset requires no increase in lateral distance between the crank arms, which is somewhat impressive given that most suppliers were forced to increase the Q-factor with all two piece cranksets and external bearings. This is great in that it avoids any adjustment to bicycle shoe cleats.

Weight: Campagnolo™ Crankset claimed weights

* 640 grams
* 55 grams for BB cups

Tech-Issue to look into later: <a href="https://roguemechanic.typepad.com/roguemechanic/2008/09/campagnolo-ul-1.html">roguemechanic.typepad.com/roguemechanic/2008/09/campagnol...</a>
Old 04-12-09, 10:26 AM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
great photo display, enjoy your ride when built
Old 04-12-09, 10:27 AM
GCRad1
Newbie since 1971

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campagnolo Record Group 10-Speed Rear Derailleur

The centerpiece of Campagnolo history, the DERAILLEUR!

The new Record rear derailleur is revealed in all its technological and design excellence. In addition to the front plate there is now the new cage in carbon fiber crossed at 90degrees that further reduces weight and increases visual appeal. The pulleys are new and the quality of the special material used increases the quietness of the entire drivetrain. The threaded titanium parts complete the assembly_s excellence. For Double crankset Short Cage: weight: 184g, min: sprocket 11 / max: sprocket 26
Old 04-12-09, 10:38 AM
GCRad1
Newbie since 1971

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time To BUILD!

YAMAGUCHI STAND

A classic hand-made &quot;one off&quot; custom work stand.

The build-up BEGINS!!! December 6th, 2008

I go over to my buddy Andrew's house as he is the one responsible for getting me into road-bikes. He's going to put my roadie together today after 6-months of collecting all the bits.

I get some hand-me-down SIDI road shoes from Andrew too!
Good shoes are good shoes, Italian made and Italian leather fits the bill for the all Italian build!

But, these will fit the Euro-Spec Build:

TIME Peddles

Yes, the light has changed to dark and the bike is not finished - barely started as we did a trip over to Velo Pasadena &amp; Open Road Bicycle Shop also Pasadena, CA. Picked up some Cinelli Cork Bar Tape and while there, came up on some Elite Water Bottle Cages.

On the work stand at Andrew's house and assembly is in PROCESS!
Old 04-12-09, 10:41 AM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GCRad1
Year of MFG: 1995
Are you sure? They're only a few years old -- unless it's some sort of odd prototype.

Aliantes were in the middle of their range at the time: 3rd from the bottom and about 5th from the top.
Old 04-12-09, 10:43 AM
RichinPeoria
175mm crank of love

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you will be done with this build at 3pm and you'll post a ride report by 6pm?
Old 04-12-09, 11:27 AM
GCRad1
Newbie since 1971

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Elite Ciussi Inox Stainless Steel Water Bottle Cages

Picked these up at VELO PASADENA from the owner himself!

Elite Ciussi Inox Stainless Steel Water Bottle Cages
Tubular construction. Weight: 57g.
MADE IN ITALY.

Last edited by GCRad1; 11-10-09 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-12-09, 11:29 AM
GCRad1
Newbie since 1971

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BUSTED!!!! IT's BUILT!

Hehehehehe - SORRY MAN! I'VE BEEN RIDING!!!! I'm getting all the images sorted and such. Knocking it out now...
Old 04-12-09, 11:39 AM
GCRad1
Newbie since 1971

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Consulting the Campagnolo bible.

We needed a longer brake bolt, the one that goes through the front fork as the one that comes in the box is not long enough for carbon forks. So we head over to another buddies house, Mr. Dereck and came back with more than I expected!
Added these pedals instead:

Campagnolo Titanium Record Pedals. They are used, but I am one lucky dude!!! I was over at my buddies house and he dug these out for me!!! THANK YOU DERECK BUTTERFIELD!!!
Old 04-12-09, 11:42 AM
GCRad1
Newbie since 1971

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Selle Italia Gel Flow Flite Seat

Handmade in Italy since 1897 - This is a 1997 edition Selle Italia Gel Flow Flite now called the Max Flite Gel Flow in the 2008 catalog.
Check out the Selle Italia Collection

Seat Height / Inseam Formula:
29-inseam &gt; 73cm - Saddle Height: 64.5cm
30-inch inseam &gt;76cm - Saddle Height: 67.1cm
This is measured from the Center of the Crank to the Top of Seat - taking the measurement from along the seat tube.
More Info on setting Seat Height.

Last edited by GCRad1; 04-12-09 at 11:46 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.