Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

"You gotta be kiddin' me"

Old 08-25-14, 12:53 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Are you sure you aren't a racer wannabe?

(this is not directed at you but clearly you have discovered that cycling apparel is purpose built and does not represent a secret desire to be a pro tour racer)
I used to think that. Even after I discovered that lycra cycling shorts were more comfortable than cotton underwear and shorts, I usually covered up the cycling shorts with a big T Shirt. Though I will still wear cotton at the gym sometimes, it isn't something I do anymore on the bike.
Old 08-25-14, 01:44 PM
jeichelberg87

Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2015 Giant AnyRoad (stolen)2016 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling attire is designed for...wait for it...

CYCLING!!!

Those who want to make light of it can go jump in a lake...

I am not a racer and have no goals to be one...but when I go cycling I like my 2XL jersey and my cycling shorts...they work for the purpose for which they were designed...
Old 08-25-14, 01:56 PM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jeichelberg87
Cycling attire is designed for...wait for it...

CYCLING!!!

Those who want to make light of it can go jump in a lake...

I am not a racer and have no goals to be one...but when I go cycling I like my 2XL jersey and my cycling shorts...they work for the purpose for which they were designed...
Same here...

Though I am partial to solid colors (plus reflectives)...
Old 08-25-14, 03:26 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 161 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
snip .... if you're over 50 y.o. , and who are you racing against on city streets? I can see where it works for professional riders, but most folks I know are weekend warriors who really could do without all of it. Personally I like loose-fitting cycle shorts, but use platform pedals and a t-shirt (and a helmet!) while riding. OTOH, it looks pretty crazy for "Mr. Tablemuscle" to be buying an armload of sugary snacks when he's carrying the results of his past easting habits around his waist.
What is wrong with being over 50 and racing or training for racing?

Sorry that you, and TrojanHorse, took my post that way. I read the OP and thought he/she wasn't looking at both sides of the situation. Living in Southern California, where the term "image is everything" applies, I get a constant stream of derogatory remarks on what I'm wearing while out bicycling on the roads; I simple tell folks it works for me and ask them what they find wrong with it. And since I don't look like someone on a bike when I'm off my bicycle, I here all the comment people make when a group of kitted-up bicyclists walk into a shop - 'Lance' wanna-be's, their encounters with bicyclists running red lights and stop signs, pack of riders blocking a street/highway, etc. And yep, I see TrojanHorse lives in Southern California, too. And yes, I have a bit of a 'gut', too

MAybe a better way the OP could have handled it is to ask the gent "uh . . is something wrong?" and see what his reaction would have been. That would have put the burden of a detailed response on Mr. Tablemuscle.
Are you afraid to look like a cyclist? I'm 50, overweight, race cx, might race road once or twice next year and when I am on the bike or more properly from the time I leave my house for a bike ride until I return I look like a cyclist. Either I have thicker bark than folks that live elsewhere of people are just more polite in the small towns I live near and ride through. If wearing normal clothes and using platform pedals works for you great glad you found what works. Enjoy your rides. I enjoy my rides kitted up and yes sometimes I even wear a shop kit for the shop that sponsors me with advertising from local businesses that have supported my team. Racing is fun, maybe you could try it sometime.
Old 08-25-14, 03:38 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
However, to answer your question. A few years ago I was touring through the Peak District in northern England. I paused to look at a map. A voice behind me said "Are you going to the cemetery?" I jumped, and turned round to find a very tall man (taller than me, I'm 6'3") in full leathers wearing a motorcycle helmet with the visor down, standing behind me. His bike was parked a few yards down the road. "No", I replied. "Oh", he said, "I thought you might be because that's where he's buried, you know ... The boy who was murdered."

I muttered my excuses and rode off. Very very odd. I'm not of a nervous disposition, but I confess I looked over my shoulder a few times in the next ten miles or so.
OK, I have to admit an exchange like this would freak me out! That's just too weird for comfort...
Old 08-27-14, 07:19 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe he was commenting on your 'kit' and assumed you're delusional in thinking you're like the pro-racer wannabe who peadaled through a red light that he had to avoid while driving to the store. I'm kinda confused by most folks who wear cycling specific clothing, and I assume its for no other reason than they've been roped in by the marketing machine of cycle clothing manufacturers that they have to wear it for comfort, aerodynamics, and maximum efficiency. Seriously, how 'aero' can you get if you're carrying a little extra baggage around the mid-section, if you're over 50 y.o. , and who are you racing against on city streets? I can see where it works for professional riders, but most folks I know are weekend warriors who really could do without all of it. Personally I like loose-fitting cycle shorts, but use platform pedals and a t-shirt (and a helmet!) while riding. OTOH, it looks pretty crazy for "Mr. Tablemuscle" to be buying an armload of sugary snacks when he's carrying the results of his past easting habits around his waist.
Lol...definitely want to avoid the "poser" look when you're 20-50 lbs overweight. I ride a lot, and some loved ones buy me cycle garb since they know I'm big into the hobby. I never wear the jersies that advertise "Lance on board." Mostly it's to avoid the humiliation of being dressed like Tour De Lance dude and getting dropped by some punk in cut-offs and a T-shirt on a MTB while I'm giving it my all on a sleek road bike.

I usually wear loose fitting, 2XL plain white Nike moisture absobant T's. The bike shorts and clipless pedals are bad enough. Last week I got dropped by a stoner in flip flops. And, I was going 18 mph into a stiff wind. Yesterday, on my 28 mile ride home from work, a roadie wearing full sponsor-laden bike garb, including fluorescent socks, blew by me at about the halfway point. An hour later, I caught up to him as he turned back onto the bike path. He'd taken a five mile detour to run the steep hills on the local country roads. The guy said he rides 1500 miles per month at avg speed of 20 mph.

Last edited by CbadRider; 08-28-14 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Edited quoted post.
Old 08-28-14, 12:14 PM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyril
Wow! I didn't know this forum was patrolled by the fashion Police.
Fat- shaming and hyper- criticism of someone's satorial choices all in one post.
And broad hints on how to do it properly!
Thank you. I'm taking notes.
As for me, I have trouble getting rid of the heat. 1/2 of Sunday's and yesterday's ride was shirtless. It was REALLY nice!
Old 08-28-14, 12:51 PM
kevmk81

Bikes: Trek Allant 9.9s

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
What is wrong with being over 50 and racing or training for racing?

Are you afraid to look like a cyclist? I'm 50, overweight, race cx, might race road once or twice next year and when I am on the bike or more properly from the time I leave my house for a bike ride until I return I look like a cyclist. Either I have thicker bark than folks that live elsewhere of people are just more polite in the small towns I live near and ride through. If wearing normal clothes and using platform pedals works for you great glad you found what works. Enjoy your rides. I enjoy my rides kitted up and yes sometimes I even wear a shop kit for the shop that sponsors me with advertising from local businesses that have supported my team. Racing is fun, maybe you could try it sometime.
Yesssssss! THANK YOU!! You took the words right out of my mouth. Really, who CARES what others wear enough to bash anyone else? WOW! And to the ******* the OP ran into, I would have asked him "What's your deal anyways?".

Last edited by PhotoJoe; 08-28-14 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Please don't bypass the filter.
Old 08-28-14, 01:39 PM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cyril
Wow! I didn't know this forum was patrolled by the fashion Police.
Fat- shaming and hyper- criticism of someone's satorial choices all in one post.
And broad hints on how to do it properly!
Thank you. I'm taking notes.
For a second there I though I was in a tab with an A&S thread!!

Originally Posted by SkippyX
"Weird. I'm surprised you don't like the look. Your wife LOVED it......"
It is funny the progression of jokes like this, 15 years ago it was mama jokes, now it is wife jokes, in a few years it could be about someone's daughter....the cycle never ends!

Originally Posted by GravelMN
No big deal, just relating a story from a recent ride:

I was in the middle of an 80-mile ride on a route that I take several times a summer. I stopped at a convenience store to fill the water bottles and grab a snack. I was carrying my helmet and wearing a plain red club-cut LG jersey with black trekking shorts (similar to MTB shorts) and casual sport shoe looking MTB shoes. I picked up a liter of water and a cereal bar and stepped into line at the counter. The guy in front of me turned around, looked me up and down, and with a snort of derision said "You gotta be kiddin me". Now, I'm a 50-year-old, about 230-pound, male so I'm used to the occasional rude comment, but what got me is that this guy was much heavier than I with a gut spilling out from under a size too small t-shirt and over the waist band of some seriously stressed out sweat pants. He was buying a box of sweet rolls and a large bottle of Mt. Dew. He tossed his money on the counter as if he was in a hurry and told the cashier to keep the change. He turned back to me with a dirty look, shook his head and walked out the door giving me one last glance through the glass.

While I've got a thick hide (no pun intended) and don't usually let things bother me, I wasn't sure if I was offended, felt sorry for him, or felt trepidation that this guy was going to run my backside over a few miles down the road. I didn't recognize him and hadn't had any recent bad encounters on the road, so I can't think of any personal grudge he might have against me, and from the way he looked me over, I can only assume he had a problem with the way I was dressed or with cyclists in general.

95+% of my interaction with other people while out riding is positive, but this fella kind of weirded me out. I kept looking over my shoulder until I got to the main highway. We hear lots of stories of intentional harassment, open rudeness, even assault and battery of cyclists, but does anyone else have stories of bizarre or creepy encounters?
I was called a fatazz by a guy who almost hit me while he was sitting in his car in, get this, the MCDONALD'S DRIVE THRU!! I laughed through his window and then decided to leave. I told him to enjoy his bag of death, which remains my best reply to an idiot driver.

Personally I love cycling specific clothing. 2 years ago it was quick dry shirts, b-ball shorts, and boxer briefs on rides, then it went to padded cycling liners, then lycra shorts, then a simple jersey, and now I rock bibs and the C&A jersey!!! But when people make comments, especially my overweight coworkers, I simply give them a smattering of these as a response:

Or for the really bad ones I get juicier......
Old 08-28-14, 02:21 PM
modelmartin

Bikes: 89 Raleigh Technium PRE, 92 SP 1000 ti, '09 Team Pro, 72 International, 63 Hercules 3-spd, '81 Vitus 979, 2 Kabuki Submariners, 2 C. Itoh Submariners, Gary Fisher Big Sur, Skyway 3-spd, Robin Hood w/ S-A IGH 5 speed.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelMN
No big deal, just relating a story from a recent ride:

The guy in front of me turned around, looked me up and down, and with a snort of derision said "You gotta be kiddin me".
I would have said, " No. I am serious as a heart attack".
Old 08-29-14, 01:45 PM
psalm
A square going nowhere

Bikes: CAAD 8 & CAAD 10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by modelmartin
i would have said, " no. I am serious as your heart attack".

fify
Old 08-29-14, 01:53 PM
modelmartin

Bikes: 89 Raleigh Technium PRE, 92 SP 1000 ti, '09 Team Pro, 72 International, 63 Hercules 3-spd, '81 Vitus 979, 2 Kabuki Submariners, 2 C. Itoh Submariners, Gary Fisher Big Sur, Skyway 3-spd, Robin Hood w/ S-A IGH 5 speed.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by psalm
fify
Merci!
Old 08-29-14, 03:45 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kevmk81
Yesssssss! THANK YOU!! You took the words right out of my mouth. Really, who CARES what others wear enough to bash anyone else? WOW! And to the ******* the OP ran into, I would have asked him "What's your deal anyways?".
I wasn't there so didn't get the guy's vive but I would responded "yeah, can you believe an old fat woman like me is wearing all this tight fitting lycra and out there busting my buns trying to ride a bicycle!??" and then I would have smiled and said "I'm having a great day... Hope you have one too!" My hope is to strike up a conversation with the guy so if he asks "why do you cyclists wear that stuff...?" I could explain the function over fashion... and maybe wake someone up to the fact bicyclists aren't just out there to ruin their day...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 08-29-14, 04:28 PM
Cychologist
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1, Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I am 69 y.o. and could care less what random strangers think of how I look. I wear bicycle specific clothing because it is functional and comfortable. I tend to choose the loud, colorful jerseys, because I want to be seen out on the road. (I have at least two dozen I wear.)

If someone wants to be a "Fred", and bike in regular shorts and tee shirts, I don't care. Just don't assume I am pretending to be training for the Tour de France, just because I wear comfortable, functional cycling garb. (At my age, I no longer train, I just ride--over 3,000 miles so far this year.)
Old 08-29-14, 07:46 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I chalk up the "racer-wanna-be" comments to ignorance.
Old 08-31-14, 01:14 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Cychologist
I am 69 y.o. and could care less what random strangers think of how I look. I wear bicycle specific clothing because it is functional and comfortable. I tend to choose the loud, colorful jerseys, because I want to be seen out on the road. (I have at least two dozen I wear.)

If someone wants to be a "Fred", and bike in regular shorts and tee shirts, I don't care. Just don't assume I am pretending to be training for the Tour de France, just because I wear comfortable, functional cycling garb. (At my age, I no longer train, I just ride--over 3,000 miles so far this year.)
After 2500 miles I'm still perfectly comfortable in regular shorts and wicking t-shirts. My daughter was having comfort issues on the bike so I bought her some padded bike shorts and a (cool-wicking) jersey, she loves the jersey(and her glowing reviews has me thinking about buying one) but the shorts didn't help with the discomfort after 40 miles. I would never judge someone by what they are wearing. I definitely wouldn't stereotype anyone in lyrica as a "wannabe", just like I don't appreciate people like yourself stereotyping people like myself as "Freds" just because we have no preference to look like everyone else.

Wear what is comfortable for you and just ride!
Old 08-31-14, 08:58 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I couldn't imagine still riding in cotton underwear and shorts and a T-shirt. It was 90-plus yesterday, and I sweat like a pig as I knocked out 50 miles in 3 hours. Wearing moisture absorbant shirt, socks and bike shorts made life much more tolerable, even fun. Why wouldn't someone take advantage of the technology?