Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

11-50t cassette from my 1x11 Jamis Renegade help

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

11-50t cassette from my 1x11 Jamis Renegade help

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-20, 10:12 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
I'll consider the Rival, thanks.

EDIT, I can’t find a 1x11 SRAM Rival with a 34t chainring....
I think you need to get a mountain crankset. If you're into ebay hunting you can probably find a good one (a take-off or barely used) for $70.
Old 02-22-20, 05:57 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts

You won't find it with that ring. It comes with a direct mount spider and probably a 40t ring. The benefit of the Rival having the direct mount spider is being able to purchase any size GXP direct mount ring that you want to use. You would remove the spider and replace it with your choice of chainring size in the GXP direct mount.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 02-22-20, 06:55 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
I think you need to get a mountain crankset. If you're into ebay hunting you can probably find a good one (a take-off or barely used) for $70.
yes, have been looking there too. Want to make sure I got the specs right as I’ve never swapped outa crankset before. I have watched some YouTube vids. I have a SRAM GXP bottom bracket and I want 175mm crank arms. Are there any other specs I need to look out for?
Old 02-22-20, 07:03 AM
ckindt

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dsaul
You won't find it with that ring. It comes with a direct mount spider and probably a 40t ring. The benefit of the Rival having the direct mount spider is being able to purchase any size GXP direct mount ring that you want to use. You would remove the spider and replace it with your choice of chainring size in the GXP direct mount.

Yes, you need to buy a rival1 crank, remove the spider, then buy a 32-tooth direct mount chain ring (or whichever size you want) and install it on the crank.
I went through this exact problem a few years ago. My bike came with a 110BCD crank with a 40-tooth ring with a 10-42 cassette. The lowest gear ratio was too high for all of the short, but steep and loose climbs around here. A 32-tooth ring lets me spin and conserve my energy over many climbs on long rides. I don't care about being short on the high-gear ratio.

Likes For ckindt:
Old 02-22-20, 07:28 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Really appreciate all the help here gang! I’m going to post my Bottom Bracket/crankset question in the mechanics forum and will contact Jamis also.
Old 02-22-20, 11:21 AM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
yes, have been looking there too. Want to make sure I got the specs right as I’ve never swapped outa crankset before. I have watched some YouTube vids. I have a SRAM GXP bottom bracket and I want 175mm crank arms. Are there any other specs I need to look out for?
You're swapping out a SRAM for a SRAM, so all you need to do is buy the GXP version (not the BB30) crankset and it will be a straight up swap. You don't need to mess with the BB.

This is what you need CRANKSET
Then you'll need to purchase a direct mount chainring from Wolftooth https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...nt=26132214341
Likes For melikebikey35: