Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

650b on the new Ritchey Swiss Cross Disc, V2?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-20, 10:10 AM
colinatx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love the Ritchey Swiss Cross Disc, and the 2020 model has clearance for 40c tires, which is awesome. However, I'm also interested in running even larger tires using a 650b setup. Searching high and low I can't find a single photo, or even a discussion, of fitting a 650b x 47c or bigger tire to a ritchey swiss cross disc. I'm a bit concerned its impossible.

Anyone have experience with this? Even better, a photo of a 650b setup on a Ritchey Swiss Cross Disc?
Old 01-27-20, 09:38 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Guess not...

I love the bike, and it would look quite interesting with skinny tubes and fatter tires.

Its going to depend on the clearance - mostly the width of the stays and forks. If the tubing flares normally, I would think it could work. I'm thinking that bike was designed for 33mm cross tires, so it should work just fine geometry wise with 650bx47mm tires - that is practically the same geometry. I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work - as long as there is appropriate flare in the fork/stays.

Just make sure what you buy has a good return policy. ;-)
Likes For chas58:
Old 01-28-20, 05:08 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
The most beautiful bike.
Old 07-21-20, 08:05 AM
maba0320

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Success?

Originally Posted by colinatx
I love the Ritchey Swiss Cross Disc, and the 2020 model has clearance for 40c tires, which is awesome. However, I'm also interested in running even larger tires using a 650b setup. Searching high and low I can't find a single photo, or even a discussion, of fitting a 650b x 47c or bigger tire to a ritchey swiss cross disc. I'm a bit concerned its impossible.

Anyone have experience with this? Even better, a photo of a 650b setup on a Ritchey Swiss Cross Disc?

Did you try and did it work?
Old 07-22-20, 12:17 AM
colinatx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maba0320
Did you try and did it work?
I never tried personally, but I did find this wonderful photoshoot of a Ritchey Outback V1 setup 650b with 48c tires. I tried to link it below but apparently I don't have enough bikeforums privilege. If you google woods cyclery ritchey outback 650b you will probably find it. There's also some more stuff if you search the #ritcheyoutback hashtag on instagram.
Old 07-28-20, 03:44 AM
BSmooth

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I recently purchased a 2020 Swiss Cross Frameset and have a set of 650b wheels laying about at a different location. Given the 40c clearance, it is possible but looking at the rear stays alone I'm not optimistic. I'll collect the wheels later this week and have a clear answer on 650b fitment.
Old 07-28-20, 03:51 AM
BSmooth

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Guess not...

I love the bike, and it would look quite interesting with skinny tubes and fatter tires.

Its going to depend on the clearance - mostly the width of the stays and forks. If the tubing flares normally, I would think it could work. I'm thinking that bike was designed for 33mm cross tires, so it should work just fine geometry wise with 650bx47mm tires - that is practically the same geometry. I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work - as long as there is appropriate flare in the fork/stays.

Just make sure what you buy has a good return policy. ;-)
Correct on the potential clearance trouble spots but the current version of the SC is designed for 700x40c not 33c tires. The chainstays are heavily crimped to allow space for the 40c tires and on the SC that I have (size XL) it appears they are not in the correct position on the stay to permit a wider 650b tire. I will soon have an answer once I have the frame and wheelset in the same location.

Last edited by BSmooth; 08-01-20 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-28-20, 04:55 AM
colinatx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BSmooth
I recently purchased a 2020 Swiss Cross Frameset and have a set of 650b wheels laying about at a different location. Given the 40c clearance, it is possible but looking at the rear stays alone I'm not optimistic. I'll collect the wheels later this week and have a clear answer on 650b fitment.
Yes! Pics if you can pleaseeee
Old 07-29-20, 03:37 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Is the 2020 version black or red? I really hate the black bike. The red with white trim of the original is so classic
Old 07-29-20, 08:07 PM
BSmooth

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
Is the 2020 version black or red? I really hate the black bike. The red with white trim of the original is so classic
The Red/White fade was a limited edition to celebrate the model's 25th anniversary. They are likely sold out by now. I have the black. Ritchey just introduced a white frame with red decals.
Old 07-29-20, 08:08 PM
BSmooth

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Yes! Pics if you can pleaseeee
Clearance on the 2020 Swiss Cross is too tight on the chainstays for anything wider than a 650bx40.

Chainstay clearance with a 650bx38 tire

Stay crimping ends near the widest point of the tire

Drive train side view

The widest point of the 650bx38 falls exactly in the middle of the width of the yellow tape

Seat stay clearance is ample

Last edited by BSmooth; 08-01-20 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-24-23, 10:37 AM
cycledog1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
is this the 650b wheelset, and are these 42's?