Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

2021 All-New Diverge Announced... 3 weeks after I bought my 2020

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

2021 All-New Diverge Announced... 3 weeks after I bought my 2020

Old 05-11-20, 03:00 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by pakeboi
Nice ; what changes did you make ?!
Basically only kept the frame/fork, brakes, and bars. New custom reynolds alloy wheelset, hope pro 4 hubs, 700x42c tires, 2x shimano 11 speed drivetrain, fenders, rack.
Old 05-13-20, 05:28 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
That's got to be the nicest Escape out there!

OP I hope you're not too disappointed with your brand new bike that is a lot like the one you can't get yet
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-15-20, 01:33 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by pakeboi
That is a really nice bike with gobs of tire clearance, I've been eyeing one up at my LBS.
Old 08-05-20, 12:32 PM
MikeIndy

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Trek Madone Disc, S-Works Diverge,Seven Evergreen SL Ti, Trek Fuel EX, Trek SuperCaliber, Farley Fat Bike, Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 9 Posts
I had the 2018 Diverge S-Works 1x. Great bike, raced DK200, and other events. I just received the new 2021 model. Built-up from frame order with GRX 2x this time. The new future shock is great! I like to lock it out on smooth gravel or longer climbs. The new bike has much more tire clearance. I could barely run WTB 40 (700) on the previous model. In some sandy Michigan areas, the wider tires are nice. I tend to run 38mm for most of the gravel areas I ride. 9Hunky stuff here in Indiana).

So far, the swat box, with the bag inside to carry items is not making any noise. I don't believe it will based on how the bag fits in the tube with essential repair items.

I also love the added mounts on the top tube for a feed bag. Oh, and the threaded BB is a really nice edition!

Last edited by MikeIndy; 08-05-20 at 01:17 PM.
Likes For MikeIndy:
Old 08-05-20, 06:20 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Merida has facilities in Taiwan, China, and Germany. Maybe elsewhere too, no idea, I just know those 3 countries for sure.
Specialized bikes are made in Taiwan and China for sure. Maybe elsewhere, but again no idea since I have little interest in their products.
SWorks Roubaix made in Taiwan
Diverge Carbon made in Vietnam
Old 08-08-20, 10:18 PM
leo95se

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have the diverge comp flat bar. (See my thread). It’s a blast. It is very much more like an early 90s hard tail (that’s all there really was then) mountain bike. But you sit lower in the bike vs over it, despite there being a road bike forward lean.

I will try some more difficult singletrack trails or technical terrain but think, even with 42mm tires it’ll struggle. It excels at everything else though. It completely filled the void i was looking for - comfortable on roads, good gearing, capable on crushed stone, gravel, and dirt. Enough clearance to get over fallen trees (and plenty now in the NE to test). It’s also 23lb (in a small). Easy enough to lift over things and bunny hop.

I will admit I am tbd on FS1.5. It dampens things well but bottoms out frequently on rough terrain.

ive ridden with a friend who has a hybrid and there is zero comparison. It just reinforces that a hybrid has a very narrow usage range; basically paved and crushed stone surfaces.

I’m really happy with it, and I’m not a hipster nor a fossil. Go figure.
Old 08-09-20, 08:47 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Originally Posted by leo95se
I have the diverge comp flat bar. (See my thread). It’s a blast. It is very much more like an early 90s hard tail (that’s all there really was then) mountain bike. But you sit lower in the bike vs over it, despite there being a road bike forward lean.

I will try some more difficult singletrack trails or technical terrain but think, even with 42mm tires it’ll struggle. It excels at everything else though. It completely filled the void i was looking for - comfortable on roads, good gearing, capable on crushed stone, gravel, and dirt. Enough clearance to get over fallen trees (and plenty now in the NE to test). It’s also 23lb (in a small). Easy enough to lift over things and bunny hop.

I will admit I am tbd on FS1.5. It dampens things well but bottoms out frequently on rough terrain.

ive ridden with a friend who has a hybrid and there is zero comparison. It just reinforces that a hybrid has a very narrow usage range; basically paved and crushed stone surfaces.

I’m really happy with it, and I’m not a hipster nor a fossil. Go figure.
Did you try swapping in the stiffer helper spring? I had the same bottoming out issue and changing to the stiffest spring solved that issue.
Old 08-09-20, 09:10 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
I would have loved that bike when I was racing mountain bikes in the early 90's.
Old 08-09-20, 09:17 PM
leo95se

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
Did you try swapping in the stiffer helper spring? I had the same bottoming out issue and changing to the stiffest spring solved that issue.
not yet, but yes thank you for the reminder! I’m not familiar yet with its assembly so will poke around in hopes of improvement. Do you have the same model bike? I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Old 08-10-20, 08:49 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Originally Posted by leo95se
not yet, but yes thank you for the reminder! I’m not familiar yet with its assembly so will poke around in hopes of improvement. Do you have the same model bike? I’d love to hear your thoughts!
I have a drop bar diverge. I like the future shock system but I have had mixed results. My Roubaix road bike with the future shock 1.0 has had thousands of trouble free miles. My diverge? Not so much. I developed excessive free play in the assembly and it was upgraded from a 1.0 to a 1.5 model. I am a heavy rider by most standards so the stiffest spring resolved the bottoming out issue I was having. Time will tell if the 1.5 fares any better then the first one did. So far it has been a nice upgrade and has worked well.
Old 08-11-20, 05:35 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
future-shock requires service every 500 miles
Old 08-11-20, 09:36 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Originally Posted by Chi_Z
future-shock requires service every 500 miles
The service interval was said to be 500 hours but from my understanding that claim was never substantiated in any official form.. The funny part is when I have asked at the shops, and from the factory, nobody seems to know what type of service it requires. Specialized itself does not state that any type of service is required anywhere in their warranty literature. Add to that, Specialized sees the Future shock as a wear item and is only covered by a 1 year warranty.