Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

What do you tell people that claim 'you're cheating'?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

What do you tell people that claim 'you're cheating'?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-18, 07:10 AM
jasnooks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
Truth be told, I hear more derision here on bike forums than I ever hear when out riding. Outside of the forums, no one questions whether it is a bicycle or not.

in the town I work in I do see a small number of e-bikes, mostly bits of back-yard engineering. The people who have them ride them for transportation. It really is only here on "just drive a car" forum that I see e-bikes being put down.
Not just here, it's most cycling forums.
And I agree, I never hear any type of bike being put down in the real world. As a matter of fact, it's exactly the opposite where I'm at.
Old 09-05-18, 10:07 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
https://electricbikereport.com/electric-bike-cheating/
Old 09-05-18, 10:28 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nfmisso
Happened to me earlier this week, when I blew by him on my commute; I smiled and said "YES".

I use an ebike on my commute because it saves me an hour per day compared to a regular bike and a ½ hour per day plus fuel compared to driving (traffic is terrible in the Bay Area). On a bike/ebike I get to enjoy 6 miles of uninterrupted bike trail along a creek with assorted wildlife. This morning I saw a huge grey egret.

My time is very valuable to me, more so as I get older. Less commuting time means more time with my wife.
Well, let's hear the grey egret's side of the story:

"That guy is cheating, CHEATING, I tell ya! This used to be 'my' time, until that jerk started buzzing past every morning. But I'm migrating to Nevada soon anyway, what do I care."
Old 09-07-18, 07:57 AM
drowling23

Bikes: R&M Delite GX Rohloff, Crescent Elgar 27,5 FS, Haibike SDURO HardFour 4.0

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't consider opinions like these to be of any value so just ignore people. Or I tell them "so are you" and leave them to wonder wtf that meant. Idiots will be idiots, and you cannot cure them of their stupidity.
Old 09-08-18, 10:37 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Grab the money, kick over the card table, and run for it.
Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 09-13-18, 08:23 PM
wrandyr

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I say "Yep, and proud of it!"
Likes For wrandyr:
Old 09-14-18, 06:25 PM
kcflyer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've been riding a Giant Road E for about a year and a half. I've only been called a "cheater" on bike forums. Most other cyclists in the real world don't have a problem with them - especially after I tell them that I don't use Strava and don't threaten any KOM's. But in the real world, people are pretty cool about it.
Likes For kcflyer:
Old 09-16-18, 08:35 AM
StephenK

Bikes: Lemond Arrivée 03, Nishiki Colorado MTB '18

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Moped

Is an electric moped, no more or less. It's obviously only "cheating" if you're e doping on Strava or something. I'd like to try one but I love trying all motorcycles and that's what I'd consider it. Mopeds don't belong on paths reserved for non motor vehicles.
Old 09-16-18, 09:37 AM
MrGhrelin

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker frame with JABOP (Just a bunch of parts), Bromptons, Novara Rondanee

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheating? Not..

It sounds like your 20 something friend was quietly getting off on smoking you going up the hills, Then you took that bit of joy away from him. Now he doesn't want to ride with you anymore? I'd think about the ramifications of your "friendship". But then again it's been said that often youth is wasted on the young. I'm 66 and live in San Francisco. There are a great number of recent retirees that are opting for e-bikes in this very hilly place, While I haven't pulled the trigger yet, I fully intend to do so at some point. I have a friend that rides almost every day, rain or shine. He's 97, and I queried him on the e-bike possibility. He said, "any day now.".. Great philosophers for thousands of years have said that it is a great human weakness to constantly compare oneself to others. Life is not fair, we each have our strengths and weaknesses that change over time. Do the best with what you have. Just keep riding, the endorphins will do you good.
Old 09-16-18, 09:52 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Other than actual 'cheating' such as competitors with motors and batteries surreptitiously hidden in bottom brackets and tubes, it's likely an allegation that;s probably based on thinking that's more abstract than spotting deception like... sticking a finger down your throat so you can eat more without gaining weight...
Old 09-16-18, 10:44 AM
kcflyer

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenK
Is an electric moped, no more or less. It's obviously only "cheating" if you're e doping on Strava or something. I'd like to try one but I love trying all motorcycles and that's what I'd consider it. Mopeds don't belong on paths reserved for non motor vehicles.
Beg to differ. If I am at the bottom of a hill on something that will get me up the hill without pedaling - I'm on a moped. If I am at the bottom of that same hill on my ebike and don't pedal, I will be at the bottom of that same hill all day. Sure...it's easier to get up the hill, but if it requires pedaling to move, it's not a moped.
Old 09-16-18, 07:09 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by kcflyer
Beg to differ. If I am at the bottom of a hill on something that will get me up the hill without pedaling - I'm on a moped. If I am at the bottom of that same hill on my ebike and don't pedal, I will be at the bottom of that same hill all day. Sure...it's easier to get up the hill, but if it requires pedaling to move, it's not a moped.
Probably depends on weight... I've seen folks take off without ever turning a crank. I've seen gals in bathing suits on rentals in coastal cities, side-by-side, taking a lane like a car and zipping through an intersection when the light changes as quickly as would a car.
Old 09-16-18, 07:39 PM
kcflyer

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
Probably depends on weight... I've seen folks take off without ever turning a crank. I've seen gals in bathing suits on rentals in coastal cities, side-by-side, taking a lane like a car and zipping through an intersection when the light changes as quickly as would a car.
I don't doubt any of that. But please don't lump pedalec ebikes in with bikes that have a throttle. If someone tries to move on my bike without turning a crank, they'd better keep their feet on the ground or they will fall over because it's not going anywhere.
Old 09-16-18, 09:28 PM
rolandk

Bikes: 2017 Giant Quick-E, 2015 Trek Domane 4.0 Disc, 2014 Trek 7.2FX

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started e-commuting last year and something happened about once a week- calling me a cheater,”buy a motorcycle”, racing me, all kinds of weird stuff. This year I don’t recall anything.
Old 09-17-18, 12:14 PM
kcflyer

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rolandk
I started e-commuting last year and something happened about once a week- calling me a cheater,”buy a motorcycle”, racing me, all kinds of weird stuff. This year I don’t recall anything.
Let them race you...just tell them not to get ticked off when you pass them on a hill.
Old 09-17-18, 12:17 PM
kcflyer

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Now that I have 10 posts, I tell people that I'd be cheating myself if I DIDN'T ride an ebike....This is what my e-bike did in a year (along with drastically lowering my cholesterol and blood sugar levels)

Likes For kcflyer:
Old 09-18-18, 02:36 PM
Oscdav

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Cheating

Answer: Why.., are we racing?
Old 09-18-18, 02:54 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I tell them to stop talking, peddle harder and keep my tow rope taut.
Old 09-18-18, 08:38 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I love ebikes! Don't have one as my motor assist is an Italian 1064cc lump. Someday I can see myself on a hacked ebike with a throttle.
Old 09-19-18, 07:11 AM
rmueller

Bikes: Catrike Villager with Golden Motor Magic Pie Edge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It depends on the definition of 'is'...where I have i heard that before???
Old 09-19-18, 02:32 PM
powell

Bikes: E+ kit, BIONX

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
in my case often "cheating..' comment is followed by " you are not allowed on pathway..."
Old 09-24-18, 09:43 AM
Tino Tino

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have to, half of the bikes in Manhattan are already ebikes. Even citibikes have ebikes now,
Old 09-24-18, 12:25 PM
Cruiser2112

Bikes: 1985 Bianchi Celeste, Custom Electra C1, Flying Machine Cycles custom E-Cruiser

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 16 Posts
Cheating???

Originally Posted by Rootman
Been cycling all my life, got into it heavily 8 years ago. Live in the Arkansas Ozarks and there are hills everywhere. I can make it OK, but the last few years I seem to be struggling more and more on the hills. I ride as much as I can with work and other duties I have no more time and never seem to get any better. I am not after speed or ultra endurance, I just want to take on hills without it wiping me out. I am getting to the point where I avoid certain wonderful routes because of hills. I have 8 years of GPS data and the average speed is 10 mph - and dropping.

I just ordered an ebike. The shop is next to a hill that on my normal bike I either have to take in 1st gear front and back or stop midway and walk up, followed by another hill I avoid like the plague. On a test ride I climbed right up them both. With my normal bike on a 55 mile ride on Saturday I had to be picked up 4 miles form home due to stress, heat and quad cramps. So, I made the plunge.

Most of the guys are supportive, a few claim I'm 'cheating'. I look at it in that I would probably be sitting at home instead of biking around if it weren't for an ebike. I've also told them that biking 50 mile son an ebike is like biking 35 miles on a regular bike - and most of them never ride THAT far. But the persist and are now avoiding me because I'm a 'cheater'.

Do you just ignore them? What 'arguments' do you use to justify an ebike? I know I should just grow a thicker hide but it bothers me a bit. Any suggestions?
All they need to do is see an 8' long, almost 85lb. steel framed beast & they nod their heads in approval. 1300W front hub motor with dual 52V battery setup will still only get you 14-17mph.
Old 09-24-18, 11:01 PM
McBTC

The latest fat tire electric bikes sport some rather massive-looking road meats... more like motorcycle tires (not that it's cheating).

Last edited by McBTC; 09-24-18 at 11:04 PM.
Likes For McBTC:
Old 09-25-18, 06:03 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I suppose it depends on context. If one of my golf partners arrives early enough to hit the practice range first, we often say "that's cheating." Because he then has a perceived advantage. But it's really just a good natured joke. If you aren't in real competition, you can't actually cheat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.