Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Axle for my 2006 Look HM pedals

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-18, 04:17 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts

Hi, I need to replace a cro-mo axle on my Look HM pedals and want to make sure I get the right one.

I see these online for keo 2Max pedals, which look the same as what I have in my pedals.
https://blueskycycling.com/products/...BoCCswQAvD_BwE

And Universal Cycles is selling a kit for upgrading 2004-2005 HM pedals. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=91165

The latter is available because a recall of Look pedals made in 04and 05. Mine are not subject to the recall but am thinking the axle is proabaly the same.

Does anyone know if either keo max 2axle or 05 HM upgrade will work for my 06 Look HM pedlas? Attached is a pic of the axle I have.
Old 09-15-18, 04:36 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Did you ask this question of LOOK? I suspect they would know and maybe even have an 800 number. Roger
Old 09-15-18, 05:07 PM
DOS

Originally Posted by rhenning
Did you ask this question of LOOK? I suspect they would know and maybe even have an 800 number. Roger
I sent them a message through their site. They told me they only work through bike shops and I should go to my LBS. But I had gone to my LBS, they first told me to contact Look, then sold me a used set of keo pedals they had on hand. So now I would like to fix the original pedals myself so I can put them on my other bike (which has older Look arc pedals) so I can use the same Keo cleats on two bikes.
Old 09-15-18, 05:16 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Well, some minor cosmetic difference aside, the axle from a 2015 Look S-Track looks really, really similar-- so I'm thinking Look uses the same axle for a lot of pedals, and has done so for at least a decade.

Old 09-15-18, 06:43 PM
DOS

[QUOTE=DrIsotope;20568039]Well, some minor cosmetic difference aside, the axle from a 2015 Look S-Track looks really, really similar-- so I'm thinking Look uses the same axle for a lot of pedals, and has done so for at least a decade.
/QUOTE]
Thats what I thought as well, that there were two or three differnt axles that were visually distinct and each worked with multiple pedals. For example, in addition to the one I am looking for that has two bearings, there is the model in the pic with one. But I have seen the visually similar bearings listed on same site for different prices and different pedals, so I am concerned there are slight variations in each visually similar model, — length, bearing size, e.g — that would make them not interchangeable.
Old 09-15-18, 07:54 PM
DOS

So I found this. Look keo Axle Replacement

Which is a recall on Look Keo HM and other model pedals made ini 2004 and 2005. Since it says “but we have received isolated reports of broken axles in these pedals, and we intend to replace them with axles like those produced beginning January 2006, and my pedals were produced in Nov 2006, I assume the 04/05 axle replacement kit Universal has on it site for HM pedals will work for me since it supposedly includes an “axle like those produced in 2006”. Its only $12.00 so pretty low risk in any event.
Old 09-16-18, 09:39 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Back when that recall happened, I was working for the Canadian distributor for Look products. By accident, Look shipped us a large pallet of spindles for the affected pedals at no charge. They were supposed to be provided to customers who had bought those pedals at no cost. The pallet we received was about 10 times the amount that was needed for the Canadian market. At Look's request we shipped the unneeded spindles to the US distributor. It is possible that the US distributor has changed since then and the current one does not have the ones we shipped back then. The spindles for the Keo 2max are different than the ones for the Keo pedals that were in the recall. There were 2 types of axles, the ones for the Keo Carbon pedals and the lower end models that didn't have the double cartridge bearings. We shipped many thousand replacement spindles to the US distributor. I cannot remember who that was
Old 09-16-18, 03:53 PM
DOS

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Back when that recall happened, I was working for the Canadian distributor for Look products. By accident, Look shipped us a large pallet of spindles for the affected pedals at no charge. They were supposed to be provided to customers who had bought those pedals at no cost. The pallet we received was about 10 times the amount that was needed for the Canadian market. At Look's request we shipped the unneeded spindles to the US distributor. It is possible that the US distributor has changed since then and the current one does not have the ones we shipped back then. The spindles for the Keo 2max are different than the ones for the Keo pedals that were in the recall. There were 2 types of axles, the ones for the Keo Carbon pedals and the lower end models that didn't have the double cartridge bearings. We shipped many thousand replacement spindles to the US distributor. I cannot remember who that was
I have seen different listings for keo2max where some show the pictiure with 1 bearing and some 2bearings, so I dont trust the latter. Universal Cycles website says that they have 950 of the upgrade for 04/05 keo HM/Carbon in stock and they are selling them for $12.00, so maybe thats where they went.
Old 09-18-18, 05:25 AM
DOS

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Well, some minor cosmetic difference aside, the axle from a 2015 Look S-Track looks really, really similar-- so I'm thinking Look uses the same axle for a lot of pedals, and has done so for at least a decade.

So,epilogue, Look axles sure are confusing. While I went ahead and ordered axles marketed as replacements for 04/05 HM pedals and am guardely optimistic that they will work on my 06 HMs, I still don’t know how they differ from these S track spindles or other similar looking axles with two bearings. Prices vary, with the S track being more expensive, but whether the dimesions of the axle or bearings differ, I have not been able to determine.

Similarly, I was curious as to whether I would be able to replace the axle on a set of Look Keo 2 Blade Carbon pedals I have should the need arise. I could, but my research revealed that my Keo 2 Blade carbon pedals use similar looking axles as the Look Keo 2 Max Blade pedals, which are similar design but use a composite blade rather than a carbon one. The axle for my pedals run $50.00 or more per axle, while the axle for the Max Blade are $20 to $30 cheaper. What the differences are between the two axles (Max is the first pic) to warrant the price difference, I have no idea.