Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trouble with 165mm crank arms

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 07:19 AM
Jtemper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

Im having a hard time finding any nice 165mm cranks for my road set-up. All of the 165mm crank arms i find are for track so i was wondering if its possible to use these track arms and use them with two chainrings. Shouldnt be a problem if as long as the BCD match right?

Please allow the newbie question
Old 01-25-10, 07:44 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
What is your budget for a crank? There are plenty of 165mm cranks out there.
Old 01-25-10, 08:08 AM
Jtemper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well i dont make it as easy as it could be, im kinda picky about the looks of the crank arms

prefer italian and silver without all the crap logos and engravings all companies seem to like on their products (wonder why)
Old 01-25-10, 08:23 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Does French work?

https://www.xxcycle.com/impact-double,,en.php
Old 01-25-10, 09:26 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
campagnolo? have you tried pbk or chainreaction uk?
Old 01-25-10, 09:53 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jtemper
well i dont make it as easy as it could be, im kinda picky about the looks of the crank arms

prefer italian and silver without all the crap logos and engravings all companies seem to like on their products (wonder why)

Too fussy. No soup for you.
Old 01-25-10, 09:59 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Jtemper
Hi,

Im having a hard time finding any nice 165mm cranks for my road set-up. All of the 165mm crank arms i find are for track so i was wondering if its possible to use these track arms and use them with two chainrings. Shouldnt be a problem if as long as the BCD match right?

Please allow the newbie question
Track cranks do not have the shoulders on the back of the crank spider arm tips to support an inner ring and I'm not sure if the dishing on the crank will result in the most optimal chainline alignment off the bat. You will have to experiment, mix and match BB spindle legnths with the crank to get close to something that works for a double front arrangement. Not sure if the absence of the shoulders on the spider tips will result in structural problems with the drivetrain that could fail. I'd start with making sure you only use steel chainring bolts so that you will have a stronger connection between the inner ring and the crank.
But as posted, 165mm cranks do come up at ebay often enough to not even consider using a track crank anyway. it's the 170mm and 172.5 that go quickly at ebay. unless you're a giant that can use a 177mm crank which hardly sell at all when they come up.

Chombi
Old 01-25-10, 10:04 PM
velo-orange

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
um....
https://www.velo-orange.com/sualcr.html

Old 01-25-10, 10:06 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by velo-orange
Oh my goodness those are pretty cranks!
Old 01-25-10, 10:07 PM
cnnrmccloskey

Bikes: '82 Giante super challange, 70 Gitane Tour de France, GT Gutterball

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
Track cranks do not have the shoulders on the back of the crank spider arm tips to support an inner ring and I'm not sure if the dishing on the crank will result in the most optimal chainline alignment off the bat. You will have to experiment, mix and match BB spindle legnths with the crank to get close to something that works for a double front arrangement. Not sure if the absence of the shoulders on the spider tips will result in structural problems with the drivetrain that could fail. I'd start with making sure you only use steel chainring bolts so that you will have a stronger connection between the inner ring and the crank.
But as posted, 165mm cranks do come up at ebay often enough to not even consider using a track crank anyway. it's the 170mm and 172.5 that go quickly at ebay. unless you're a giant that can use a 177mm crank which hardly sell at all when they come up.

Chombi

I have an old solida crankset that doesn't have a shoulder on the inside and its a double, never had any problems with it but the OP should be able to find a 165 double
Old 01-26-10, 01:16 AM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Lots of manufacturers say that their cranks are available in 165mm, but very few online retailers offer this option. You'll either have to look around real hard, or get your local bike shop to special order it for you, and so pay a bit more.

It appears that the biggest online bike store in Europe stocks quite a few of these. Have a look at this page and use your browser's search function (hit Ctrl-F) to find all instances of the term '165' on that page. Some are even listed as in stock.

Last edited by Chris_W; 01-26-10 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-26-10, 01:26 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi

Chombi
Just a note, what Chombi said is true of actual track cranks, but a lot of the cranks current sold as 'track' cranks are just rebadged road doubles, many of them have the inner lip. Some have holes for a triple.