Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Just got a basic fit and have slight pelvis pain

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-15, 12:21 PM
LGHT

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ok I was having some pain in my upper shoulders and numbness in my crotch and left foot so decided to get a fit, but a shop that is pretty well known for their fits.

The fit went very well and took almost 2 hours as I seemed to be pretty off from my seat, stem, and even my shoe cleats a little. I haven't had a chance to put any miles on the bike, but the seat was raised about 3" because I apparently have long legs and a short torso. As a result to help get my leg length correct the seat came up pretty far which extended my reach and that ended up putting pressure on the crotch area if I go into the drops. To fix this the stem was turn over which put the handle bars upward and a less aggressive position and tilted slightly downward. Also the seat was taken back down a half an inch to help with the crotch pain.

Is it normal to fell an upward pain in the crotch area even slightly when in the drops? It was explained that I had been ridding "crunched" in the past and not really sitting on my sit bones correctly. Now with the new fit I need to spend time getting used to riding back on the seat and on my sit bones, but when I do go downward in a tuck position or in the drops it seems like I'm sitting on my pelvis and not my sit bones at all.

Hopefully I just need to get used to the new fit.
Old 01-15-15, 02:51 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Part of what you paid for when you got your fit was advice and fine tuning. It can take a few weeks of riding to adjust to a new fit - but only you and teh fitter can tell whether the pain you're having right now is normal adjustment pain or a sign than something is wrong.

The shop that did my fit advised me to ride the new fit for 2 weeks, or a couple of hundred miles without changing anything and then come back if I felt like it still wasn't quite there.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 01-15-15, 04:14 PM
LGHT

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bbbean
The shop that did my fit advised me to ride the new fit for 2 weeks, or a couple of hundred miles without changing anything and then come back if I felt like it still wasn't quite there.
Sounds like it's exactly what I was told to do, but I'm a bit concerned about having a hot crotch for weeks just to report back that I have hot crotch lol. I just feels different from a sore sit bone, but I guess I should just ride it for a few weeks before jumping the ***.
Old 01-15-15, 04:23 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
How many hours have you ridden the new fit? At least get in a coupel fo 1 hr+ rides before you change things (unless the pain is severe, in which case they didn't do a good fit)!

What did the fitter say when you called and asked them?

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 01-23-15, 02:42 AM
mwarddoc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm no expert in fitting, but I do have expertise in body issues, and I've ridden a lot of bikes over the years and many miles. You should not have pain in your crotch, at all, with a properly fitted bike.

Listen to your pain, don't ride in pain.

The bike should be comfortable in all your riding positions, immediately, and you will "know" it because you will "feel" the comfort of the positioning.

Something isn't right, and riding more will not help, you don't identify yourself as female or male but both can be injured by improperly fitted and set up bikes.
Old 01-24-15, 06:45 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mwarddoc
I'm no expert in fitting, but I do have expertise in body issues, and I've ridden a lot of bikes over the years and many miles. You should not have pain in your crotch, at all, with a properly fitted bike.

Listen to your pain, don't ride in pain.

The bike should be comfortable in all your riding positions, immediately, and you will "know" it because you will "feel" the comfort of the positioning.

Something isn't right, and riding more will not help, you don't identify yourself as female or male but both can be injured by improperly fitted and set up bikes.
I tend to agree with this guy, especially if they are saying ride for an hour with that pain...I would say ride for about 5-10 minutes and see if you can't solve the issue, then perhaps look at a different saddle, or different set-up, or something...

The only "pain" that might be something to get used to is if you hare feeling pressue and soreness directly on your sit bones after re-setting your bike, or getting new saddle....that probably means you are sitting correctly for the first time, and may just need different padded shorts.