Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Question for all e-bike commuters.

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-09, 07:07 AM
Fishstalker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys, ive been thinking of buying a mountain bike and converting it to an e-bike using a 24v 200w conhismotor e-bike kit and using it for commutes of up to 9 miles.

But that isnt the main topic haha, the question i want to ask all of you out there is: when you get to your destination, lock up your bike and take your battery, what do you do with your controller? Ive been thinking about it the whole time and the only thing stopping me from committing to this idea is that im not sure what to do with the bike controller after locking the bike up.

Do you attach the controller to the bike in some way?
Do you take the controller with you?

If anyone can tell me what they do with theirs or have some tips and advice on what to do with the controller, please do tell.

Btw i mean locking the bike outdoors like to a pole or something like that.

Thanks a bunch guys, i appreciate it.
Old 11-18-09, 07:20 AM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just leave mine in the battery bag. I realize that wouldn't work in some places.
Old 11-18-09, 10:59 AM
Llamero

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My controller stays attached to the bike. I have a bike cover, so none of the components are visible. Covering the bike works if you stick with the very true mantra that locks keep ordinary people honest, thieves can steal a locked bike in a matter of seconds, and a lack of a controller won't really stop them.
Old 11-18-09, 11:26 AM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the Currie conversion kit with rack mounted batteries. The controller is inside an enclosed rectangular space in the rear rack. I've had no problems with over heating either.

FYI, if you have an aluminum fork, go with a rear wheel kit.
Old 11-18-09, 03:26 PM
Fishstalker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, i dont think the kit i wanna get has any sort of storage for the controller =(. And just so you know im more worried about the controller its self being stolen rather than the bike since its easier to take off and such.

Thanks for the feed back guys
Old 11-19-09, 12:16 AM
JinbaIttai
P7 Fanboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always leave it out in the open. It looks pretty beat up and weathered now though.
Old 11-19-09, 11:40 AM
dgk02

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very good question though. I'm in NYC and bring in everything I can from my bike. I'm actually waiting for the law to change (December) to allow me to bring the bike into my office before I buy an ebike. No way am I leaving a $2000(+?) bike outside. Still, sometimes I'll have to unless I just use it to commute.
Old 11-19-09, 08:11 PM
crichman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course, those of us with Bionx controllers leave 'em on the bike because they're in the wheel...

Charlie Richman
https://ElectricCyclist.com
Old 11-20-09, 03:55 AM
alfonsopilato
eBiker

Bikes: CCM Moutain bike fitted with 408 Crystalyte motor, 48V 12 AH battery, 20 amp 48 v Crystalyte controller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, this is a good question.
The way I addressed this on my build:

1. I keep the controller on the bike, not with the battery, this way it is kept cool.
2. By keeping the controller on the bike, I only need to deal with the main power coupling and not have to fiddle with the other wiriings. Simple design, keeps things sane.
3. The controller is attached to the bike using them thingies you use to clamp plubming, I don't know the exact name but you can get it easily at any hardware store. There is a screw that you turn to secure it tightly. I use that mainly to attach the controller firmly to the bike so that it doesn't move during travel.
I then duct tape it to blend it with the bike. The controller is located right behind and under my seat.
4. I have a choice of leaving my battery on the bike or take it with me. When I commute to work, I leave the battery on the bike, it is secured to the bike using two metal harnesses that are wrapped around the battery and locked to the bike. Very little fabrication involved, you just need a metal grinder with cutting plates to cut the metal to size etc.
The metal bars can be bought from home depot etc. These metal bars have holes at regular intervals, a design that makes it easier to bend the bar. I use the holes to insert my locks.
The gauge of the metal is enough to make it impossible to use regular cutting clamps, one would need a jaws of life or death or whatever that thing is that fire fighters use or an electric metal cutter.

I should show you a pic.

I don't think thieves would even know what to do with the controller, they are more interested in stealing your bike. (you thieves out there reading this post, i know you're reading this.. i KNOW IT !! ROFL)

Last edited by alfonsopilato; 11-20-09 at 04:00 AM.
Old 11-20-09, 06:21 AM
JerseyEbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have to be inventive. Not every setup is the same. A controler is not worth much. Chances of someone risking arrest over one is very low. Chances that anyone aside from yourself passing buy even knowing what the controler is for is very low. Most of the time a security bolt/nut will do the job. They should not be hard to find. Locksmiths usualy have plenty of them and the tools.
Old 11-22-09, 12:09 PM
ausGeoff
E—Bike Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd agree with the other guys... a thief is gonna make the effort to steal the whole bike, rather than just the controller. Don't worry about it.
A thief doesn't steal just the headlights off your car... he takes the whole car LOL.
Old 11-23-09, 05:20 PM
alfonsopilato
eBiker

Bikes: CCM Moutain bike fitted with 408 Crystalyte motor, 48V 12 AH battery, 20 amp 48 v Crystalyte controller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i never was included as in "other guys" before , i'd put a ROFL smiley but i can't find it on this new forum thingy :S
Old 11-23-09, 05:25 PM
Little-Acorn

Bikes: '72 Schwinn Sports Tourer, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '79 Schwinn Twinn Sport 10sp tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've heard from other ebikers that the controller sometimes gets warm or even hot, depending on how agggressive you are on the throttle, how hilly the terrain etc. They recommended that the controller be placed out in the open, not kept in a battery bag. So my controller will be bolted to a platform between the rack and the seatpost. I just finished building the platform mount last night.

The controller appears to be pretty well waterproofed (famous last words?), so it's staying on the bike.
Old 11-24-09, 12:50 AM
BroadwayJoe
Both Coasts...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
9/10 thieves are too stoopid to know what most of that stuff is. They will almost always take the entire bike - why risk the same punishment to steal a part when you can just grab the whole bike? I never, ever leave my bike on the street in NYC unless I can see it from a window and then only for a short time - and it's locked to provide an additional obstacle. There are certainly some days I hope somebody tries it...
Old 11-26-09, 01:11 PM
lucasgo
Lost? No, seeing America.

Bikes: '02 Fuji Finest AL, '97 Trek Multitrack 730, Amped kit rear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take my entire bike inside (suburban school, upstate NY). Sometimes a custodian yells at me, thinking I'm a kid- "hey, there's a bike rack outside!". Yeah, I'm not doing that. I see what the kids do to each others' bikes. I have a Topeak quick-release rear bag that houses the battery and controller. If I ever wanted to remove the battery, as it is the MOST expensive part of my bike (old bike, $300 hub motor, $500 battery), I would just leave the controller hanging. But then, I don't really see myself having to do that ever.
As to my actual contribution to this topic... my controller inside that bag barely gets warm. 7 miles one-way, some nice hills. Not a problem for 36v, 500watt, 15ah. I was nervous about the heat when I first did my setup, but I really don't think about it much anymore. Hmmm, maybe I should go check for melting wires...
Old 11-26-09, 04:45 PM
Crankforward

Bikes: Rans Fusion,a bunch of goodwill bikes I work on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the controller zipp tied to my Wald baskets. I leave it outside ..but i lock the bike up with cables through the front and back wheels and another to the frame.
I never leave it long ,and park it where I can see it if possible(eating at a fast food joint)....