Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-14, 06:41 AM
durak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YoKev
Having owned a Sora shifter equipped bike at the same time as I owned a 7402 8-speed brifter bike, I can assure you that in my experience even 20+ year old DuraAce is far superior to Sora as far as shifting crispness is concerned. If you can get Sora to work with a 7400 or 7402 RD then good for ya, but it's worth your time to find an appropriate shifter if you are dead set on using that RD.

Personally, I would opt for a newer Shimano rd/shifter setup simply for the ease of finding a lightly used and affordable mini group.

Good luck with the build
Thanks for the input! Was the Sora you owned the current 3500 series or older? I found a review on Amazon where the user had replaced Dura ace 9 speed shifters and was very happy with these. I think I'll give them a try, as it is a budget upgrade to get better use out of the bike and I don't want to get into changing many parts and trying to sell the dura ace ones. I live in Finland and there's not that big of a market for old parts here, and with shipping out of the country so high I would have to subvent the shipping myself if trying to sell on Ebay.de for example. I'll pay 70 euros for the Sora's new in box and maybe try to sell the Dura ace brake levers and DT shifters to get some of that back.
Old 05-07-14, 07:05 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by durak
Thanks for the input! Was the Sora you owned the current 3500 series or older? I found a review on Amazon where the user had replaced Dura ace 9 speed shifters and was very happy with these. I think I'll give them a try, as it is a budget upgrade to get better use out of the bike and I don't want to get into changing many parts and trying to sell the dura ace ones. I live in Finland and there's not that big of a market for old parts here, and with shipping out of the country so high I would have to subvent the shipping myself if trying to sell on Ebay.de for example. I'll pay 70 euros for the Sora's new in box and maybe try to sell the Dura ace brake levers and DT shifters to get some of that back.
I'd be interested in th e 8-sp DT shifters and the brake levers.
Old 05-07-14, 08:00 AM
durak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll pay 70 euros for the Sora's new in box
Disregard that, I apparently misheard the seller on the phone. Wants 170 euros, funny guy. Back to the drawing board.
Old 05-07-14, 08:48 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Maybe you should give those microshift levers a look. I've heard good things.

Old 05-07-14, 09:03 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
RE: Post #2
Originally Posted by cudak888
That Bertoni has to be the nicest modernized classic steel machine I've ever seen. It all just seems to "fit."

-Kurt
I agree. It's seamless. I think this would rarely come as an accident. Lamplight, the builder is an artist of a sort. Good on ya! I try, but ....

Last edited by Lenton58; 05-07-14 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-08-14, 03:05 AM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the input! Was the Sora you owned the current 3500 series or older?
Older. But, that being said, I also currently have newer Sora brifters shifting a high end 9-speed drivetrain. They are completely functional and get the job done, but, an upgrade will happen eventually.

Shimano STI Levers Sora 3500 9 Speed with cables, GEARSHIFT STI / ERGO
Old 05-08-14, 06:18 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
I wanted to replace my CF road bike lost in a house fire this past February with steel. I found a NOS 1990 Team Miyata frame and built it up with (mostly) near mint DA 7400. I say "mostly" because I also put on PD-A600 pedals, Soma Hwy One bar and a Stronglight A9 headset. Last week I found a good deal on a Fizik Arione CX with carbon rails and shell. This weekend I'll be replacing the yellow bartape with white (I thought it might add an interesting splash, but it just looks out of place). 24 years old is perhaps not Vintage, but the bike originally specced with dt shifters.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140507_170534_Android.jpg (73.8 KB, 463 views)
20140507_170605_Android.jpg (61.5 KB, 354 views)
20140507_170632_Android.jpg (60.9 KB, 346 views)
20140507_170704_Android.jpg (67.2 KB, 353 views)
Old 05-08-14, 06:27 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Here's another Team Miyata for you revcp. It's the wife's ride.

Attached Images
20140105_120034.jpg (98.5 KB, 373 views)
Old 05-08-14, 06:33 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Here's another Team Miyata for you revcp. It's the wife's ride.

Very nice. The white definitely looks better. Does your wife have something against pedals?
Old 05-08-14, 07:03 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
I wanted to replace my CF road bike lost in a house fire this past February with steel. I found a NOS 1990 Team Miyata frame and built it up with (mostly) near mint DA 7400. I say "mostly" because I also put on PD-A600 pedals, Soma Hwy One bar and a Stronglight A9 headset. Last week I found a good deal on a Fizik Arione CX with carbon rails and shell. This weekend I'll be replacing the yellow bartape with white (I thought it might add an interesting splash, but it just looks out of place). 24 years old is perhaps not Vintage, but the bike originally specced with dt shifters.

Sorry to hear about the fire, but that replacement you got there is a stunner. I agree with you on the white tape.
Old 05-08-14, 09:27 AM
polkadot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This weekend I'll be replacing the yellow bartape with white (I thought it might add an interesting splash, but it just looks out of place).
I disagree with all of you on this. I think the bike needs some color and that yellow works well. Awesome bike, congrats!
Old 05-08-14, 09:39 AM
seypat

Very nice. The white definitely looks better. Does your wife have something against pedals?
I took that picture after I finished the refurb.

The wife is a runner. She did a couple of marathons last year in the fall. The training was too much for her. She said it was her first two and her last two. So she wanted to start cycling and do duathlons. I acquired a Centurion mixte for her to try out. She liked it so I acquired the Miyata, built it and gave it to her as a Christmas present. It is sitting on a trainer with platform pedals on it currently. We have a dualthon coming up on June 8. Right now she is afraid of any kind of foot retention. So she may go at it with the platforms. It's her decision not mine!

Last edited by seypat; 05-08-14 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-09-14, 04:39 AM
familyguy
Running on plenty

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 19 Posts

1979 Fuji Finest Mk II (original condition frameset with a few marks but no scars)
Cinelli 1A stem
Cinelli 65-42 bars
5700 shifters
5600 cranks, RD
6200 600EX FD (yes, it works with the 5700)
Tektro mid-reach brakeset for 700C wheels
No-name alloy seat post

I swapped the saddle to a Fizik Arione, got a long nut for the front brake, and I'm building a set of 6400 hubs up to run 8/9 of 10 on 126mm. I found the splay on the Crit's is actually pretty comfortable.

Attached Images
CAM00376.jpg (102.1 KB, 525 views)
CAM00378.jpg (82.2 KB, 433 views)
CAM00377.jpg (74.8 KB, 412 views)
Old 05-09-14, 05:04 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

^^ A lot of Fuji guys are going to like that one. Having done that to a '79 and an '81 model bike, I know what your obstacles were, and an outstanding build came of it. Definitely one of those bikes that would draw a crowd in my neck o'the woods.
Old 05-09-14, 05:07 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by seypat
I took that picture after I finished the refurb.

The wife is a runner. She did a couple of marathons last year in the fall. The training was too much for her. She said it was her first two and her last two. So she wanted to start cycling and do duathlons. I acquired a Centurion mixte for her to try out. She liked it so I acquired the Miyata, built it and gave it to her as a Christmas present. It is sitting on a trainer with platform pedals on it currently. We have a dualthon coming up on June 8. Right now she is afraid of any kind of foot retention. So she may go at it with the platforms. It's her decision not mine!
She'll tend to mash, anyway, as most runners do. She'll likely be fast, though, as the discomfort level riding, even fast, is not as bad as running. Flat pedals, especially for duathlons, are not that big a disadvantage, because the transition advantage can be worth a couple of minutes, which are tough to make up on a run. She can always progress to half-clips, etc, as you know. Best wishes to her, and kudos to you for doing it for her.
Old 05-09-14, 05:49 AM
familyguy
Running on plenty

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
^^ A lot of Fuji guys are going to like that one. Having done that to a '79 and an '81 model bike, I know what your obstacles were, and an outstanding build came of it. Definitely one of those bikes that would draw a crowd in my neck o'the woods.
Funny you say that...first time I had it in public, I'd taken my daughter up to the oval where I took the photos, and the ONE guy nearby came wandering over for a look. Turned out he had a nice Aussie vintage bike at home, we had a good chat. Rarely happens when I take the CF wonderbike or gaspipe beater

Nothing drilled or drewed, just the shoehorning of the 130mm rear wheel in at this stage. I was happy with that result.
Old 05-09-14, 05:56 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
She'll tend to mash, anyway, as most runners do. She'll likely be fast, though, as the discomfort level riding, even fast, is not as bad as running. Flat pedals, especially for duathlons, are not that big a disadvantage, because the transition advantage can be worth a couple of minutes, which are tough to make up on a run. She can always progress to half-clips, etc, as you know. Best wishes to her, and kudos to you for doing it for her.
the transition from riding to running is no fun either. I went for my first 10k in march and it was a bear. Barely made it in the hour o' shame. The goal was to keep up with ms. Ital, an avid runner, but no luck. She beat my by a wide margin, even though she was coming off a cold and hadn't trained much due to work. Damn. Got any good tips? TIA
Old 05-09-14, 07:08 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Italuminium
the transition from riding to running is no fun either. I went for my first 10k in march and it was a bear. Barely made it in the hour o' shame. The goal was to keep up with ms. Ital, an avid runner, but no luck. She beat my by a wide margin, even though she was coming off a cold and hadn't trained much due to work. Damn. Got any good tips? TIA
I started cycling, at least more than riding in the neighborhood 5 or 6 years ago. Before that, I was a basketball player and golfer. Then I got Plantar Fasciitis on both heels and had to leave the court. So I had to find something else to do. On a whim I signed up for a metric century and rode it on a mountainbike. Best thing I ever did. So then I needed a "roadbike". I found an old Lejeune in a Goodwill and the rest is history. Counting the wife's 2 oldies, I/we have 6 C & V bikes in the fold. Once the weather comes around I usually ride at least 1 century a month until it gets cold again. I ride in clips and straps because a stiff soled cycling shoe aggravates the Plantar Fasciitis.

When the wife turned 40 (she will be 42 in December) she had a mild midlife crisis. The kids (pre-teens) told her she looked pudgy so she signed up for the Richmond Half Marathon. Great move on her part. She trained and trained and completed it! As her reward, she signed up for the Disney Princess Half Marathon and completed it. And there you go. As a result, I have taken up running some so we can do stuff together. I started out with some 5ks and did the Shamrock Half in Va Beach in March. Since a marathon is on the bucket list, no better time to do it than now. So, I just signed up for the Richmond Marathon in November. I have a brother that lives in Chicago, so I go up there every year now and do the Men's Health Urban Athlon. As a person who was strictly a run and jump athlete, (and who detested "running") I never thought I would be doing this. Being active is so much better than sitting on the couch!

Here is the kicker. After doing a lot of research and analysis, when I started running, I switched all of my shoes to flexible types with no support. All of those years of basketball with the heavily supported shoes had weakened my feet. Now the plantar fasciitis is all but gone and I have no more pain. The running did that as well as the cycling with flexible soles.

After this long winded post, my advise to you is just to get out and do it. Enjoy it because there will come a time that you can't do it anymore. You don't want to have any regrets. By the way, I have never bested the Mrs. in a running event. But she is going to the Urban Athlon this year also. I think the steps at Soldier Field will do her in and I will be victorious!
Old 05-09-14, 10:17 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

seypat, if you need a rear hub with 8/9/10 at 126mm, let me know, I have a set of 1056 hubs that are that way.

Funny you should mention the Richmond Half. Not sure what the course record is, but pretty sure I'm in the top 5 there. Never ran the Shamrock Half, but have done the Shamrock Marathon, Richmond Marathon, Elizabeth River Run in Norfolk, etc. If you go into the Richmond Newspapers lobby, they often display the letter that began the "26 Miles of Smiles" theme. Read it if you can, and check out the signature.
Old 05-09-14, 12:55 PM
seypat

Robbie,

You are a celebrity incognito! I will have to go and do the research now. The person that sat behind me when I had season UR basketball tickets has run every Richmond Marathon since the beginning! And he came by last year when I was cheering the wife on. I think he might be around 70 now. He might be older. His name is R. Wertenbaker Turner Jr. He is retired Navy and I think he was pretty high up in rank. He is a pastor in Madison Va now.

Thanks for the offer on the hubs. I might get them from you sometime in the future. I am rare in that I like more rings up front and less cogs in the back. A triple allows me to still run a standard double and have a bailout ring for the big hills. I can also run tight cassettes on the back and not be stuck with a compact double/wide cassette.

Now let me go look at those times!
Old 05-10-14, 09:56 AM
Andy Antipas 

Bikes: too many old steel bikes

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 176 Posts
Eddy Century

1987 Eddy Merckx Century rebuilt with 10 speed/Triple that is mostly Campy Chorus/Centaur.
Attached Images
DSCF0087.jpg (101.8 KB, 234 views)
RebuiltEddy.jpg (94.5 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by Andy Antipas; 05-10-14 at 09:59 AM. Reason: posted photo twice
Old 05-10-14, 10:24 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
60's PX-10

Old 05-10-14, 01:25 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by Andy Antipas
1987 Eddy Merckx Century rebuilt with 10 speed/Triple that is mostly Campy Chorus/Centaur.
Great job, welcome to the forum. A real agile, precise setup that can go anywhere.
Old 05-10-14, 02:05 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Originally Posted by Andy Antipas
excellent!
Old 05-10-14, 07:53 PM
Ksyrium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, just used the Dura Ace 7700s. 700x28s fit fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.