Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-17, 11:51 PM
DuyGG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol oh gosh, I just realized I post in the wrong Trek thread. I thought the DS thread was the FX thread. Anywho, hello everyone, first post. I obviously have nothing to contribute yet, but I'm looking forward to learning more about cycling in general. I bought my first "real" bike earlier today at my LBS and I'm still pretty stoked about it. It was between the Giant Escape 2 and Fx 2, both fit and rode equally to me, it literally came down to the color I like more.

So I ended up with the 2017 Fx 2 in Matte Black.

Almost three days in and I'm still loving it...
Old 04-28-17, 10:02 PM
hwscott2

Bikes: 2017 Matte Black Trek FX2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DuyGG
Lol oh gosh, I just realized I post in the wrong Trek thread. I thought the DS thread was the FX thread. Anywho, hello everyone, first post. I obviously have nothing to contribute yet, but I'm looking forward to learning more about cycling in general. I bought my first "real" bike earlier today at my LBS and I'm still pretty stoked about it. It was between the Giant Escape 2 and Fx 2, both fit and rode equally to me, it literally came down to the color I like more.

So I ended up with the 2017 Fx 2 in Matte Black.

Almost three days in and I'm still loving it...
Cool! I bought the same bike last year and still love it. Have fun!
Old 04-30-17, 02:33 PM
Pedmom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FX2 vs FX3

Hi all, first time poster here. I took about a three-year hiatus from cycling and I'm back on track and decided I need to retire my ancient hybrid (25ish year old Timberlin!)My local bike shop has recommended either the FX or the DS for me. I have pretty much decided on the FX, but would appreciate any input on the difference between the 2 and a 3, other than $180. I am not very educated on the difference between brake systems and shifting systems etc. and a friend of mine that cycles a lot said that is the main difference without more explanation. Help?
Old 04-30-17, 03:09 PM
Tommy1955
Senior Rider

Bikes: 2017 Trek FX 3 Hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pedmom
Hi all, first time poster here. I took about a three-year hiatus from cycling and I'm back on track and decided I need to retire my ancient hybrid (25ish year old Timberlin!)My local bike shop has recommended either the FX or the DS for me. I have pretty much decided on the FX, but would appreciate any input on the difference between the 2 and a 3, other than $180. I am not very educated on the difference between brake systems and shifting systems etc. and a friend of mine that cycles a lot said that is the main difference without more explanation. Help?
I have the 2017 FX3 and love it. It's lightweight is a fairly fast bike. It has the real lightweight aluminum frame and carbon fork (that is if it's the 2017 FX3). The FX2 doesn't have a carbon fork I believe. I would obviously recommend the FX3.
Old 04-30-17, 04:02 PM
zebkedic

Bikes: Surly ECR, Trek FX 3

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Greetings All,

I purchased a Trek FX 3 last August and have put about 1500 miles on it so far. Began with just fitness and now have adapted to some light touring and bikepacking. I've made a few additions to the bike so perhaps I can share some pics in the near future.

- Cpt. Bob
Old 04-30-17, 04:10 PM
Tommy1955
Senior Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pedmom, I did replace the 700x32 AW 1 tires (stock tires on 2017 FX 3) with the AW 2 tires after a month. After around a month, I had a flat on the rear tire but the front tire wasn't so good either. The AW 2 tire is lighter and doesn't have a steel belt like the AW 1. I have put around 1500 or so miles on the AW 2 tires and no flats and the tires still look great. I could feel the difference with these tires and really think it's a much better tire. I don't do any off road or gravel rides.
Old 04-30-17, 08:57 PM
Pedmom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy1955
Pedmom, I did replace the 700x32 AW 1 tires (stock tires on 2017 FX 3) with the AW 2 tires after a month. After around a month, I had a flat on the rear tire but the front tire wasn't so good either. The AW 2 tire is lighter and doesn't have a steel belt like the AW 1. I have put around 1500 or so miles on the AW 2 tires and no flats and the tires still look great. I could feel the difference with these tires and really think it's a much better tire. I don't do any off road or gravel rides.
I have seen many comments about replacing the tires so I am definitely going to bring that up this week when I go back to my LBS. Thanks!
Old 04-30-17, 08:58 PM
Pedmom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the 2017 FX3 and love it. It's lightweight is a fairly fast bike. It has the real lightweight aluminum frame and carbon fork (that is if it's the 2017 FX3). The FX2 doesn't have a carbon fork I believe. I would obviously recommend the FX3.
👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼 thanks!
Old 05-01-17, 06:42 AM
tbo

Bikes: 2018 Trek FX7.3

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Tire wear.

I have had a 7.2FX for 9 years. Tire wear, especially on the rear tire, has always been an issue. Maybe not to the extent mentioned here (one month and replace), but I always have at least one tire in reserve for this bike.

For around town use, I happen to like the Continental Touring Plus in 700c x 32.
Old 05-09-17, 08:02 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tbo
Re: Tire wear.

I have had a 7.2FX for 9 years. Tire wear, especially on the rear tire, has always been an issue. Maybe not to the extent mentioned here (one month and replace), but I always have at least one tire in reserve for this bike.

For around town use, I happen to like the Continental Touring Plus in 700c x 32.
Do you think this is just an issue with all fx's or hybrids? I am not a high mileage rider and don't know much about tire wear but this sounds like a problem that would happen on most bikes, no? because that is where most of the weight is... idk, just an educated guess from my side.
Old 05-09-17, 08:09 AM
tbo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sh00k
Do you think this is just an issue with all fx's or hybrids? I am not a high mileage rider and don't know much about tire wear but this sounds like a problem that would happen on most bikes, no? because that is where most of the weight is... idk, just an educated guess from my side.
My impression is that this is a problem for most bikes, once you start riding them at speed - 15 miles per hour or so. If you only go 5 to 10 miles an hour on a cruiser tire that has a huge amount of rubber on it, then it is going to last forever (all things being equal.) You don't put any strain on tire when accelerating and how fast can you slow down from 5 to 10 miles an hour before you are already stopped or at the speed you need?

The way that I ride, the rear tire wears out twice as fast as the front. That's where the power comes from and that's where I brake more. It's just an is. I don't rotate tires; I just get a new one for the back when it needs it.
Old 05-09-17, 08:16 AM
sh00k

Originally Posted by tbo
My impression is that this is a problem for most bikes, once you start riding them at speed - 15 miles per hour or so. If you only go 5 to 10 miles an hour on a cruiser tire that has a huge amount of rubber on it, then it is going to last forever (all things being equal.) You don't put any strain on tire when accelerating and how fast can you slow down from 5 to 10 miles an hour before you are already stopped or at the speed you need?

The way that I ride, the rear tire wears out twice as fast as the front. That's where the power comes from and that's where I brake more. It's just an is. I don't rotate tires; I just get a new one for the back when it needs it.
got it! thank you for the explanation!
Old 05-09-17, 08:23 AM
tbo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here is a thread on tire wear.
Old 05-09-17, 08:25 AM
Tommy1955
Senior Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a new 2017 FX3 and yes I wore out the tires within 2 months. Actually not worn out but had cuts in the tires from running over things (both tires). The new FX3 stock tires are AW1 700cx32 which have steel belts for the puncture protection. I replaced them with the AW2 tires and have put close to 2,000 miles with no flats or cuts in the tires riding the same paths and roads. The AW2 tires do not have steel belts but some other kind of puncture protection (can't remember what it is now) that's lighter and in my opinion MUCH better. I'm fixing to take the bike in to the LBS and have them look at the tires because of the mileage I have on them but they still look great.
Old 05-09-17, 08:43 AM
sh00k

I have a new 2017 FX3 and yes I wore out the tires within 2 months. Actually not worn out but had cuts in the tires from running over things (both tires). The new FX3 stock tires are AW1 700cx32 which have steel belts for the puncture protection. I replaced them with the AW2 tires and have put close to 2,000 miles with no flats or cuts in the tires riding the same paths and roads. The AW2 tires do not have steel belts but some other kind of puncture protection (can't remember what it is now) that's lighter and in my opinion MUCH better. I'm fixing to take the bike in to the LBS and have them look at the tires because of the mileage I have on them but they still look great.
very nice. I too put AW2's on my 7.3 fx (25c) and i absolutely love how the bike feels now. i dont ride a ton of miles but when i ride the fx, it puts a smile on my face every time

but in my case, i greedily just swapped out the stock 32c tires which were perfectly fine for the 25c tires. i feel guilty for replacing something that was working fine/in new condition but i wanted a "faster" ride. the ride now with the 25c tires is both faster and super easy on the knees to pedal.

Last edited by sh00k; 05-09-17 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-09-17, 08:57 AM
Tommy1955
Senior Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very nice. I too put AW2's on my 7.3 fx (25c) and i absolutely love how the bike feels now. i dont ride a ton of miles but when i ride the fx, it puts a smile on my face every time
I really, really like the 32s with the AW2 tires. I've been thinking about getting AW2 28s but not real sure if it will be a rougher ride. The 28s have a little higher air pressure and might be a little faster. I've been told that the difference is something I really wouldn't feel though. I'm not sure if it will pinch flat easier being a narrower tire. Like I said I'm very happy with what I have but but just trying to make the bike as fast as I can get it is the only reason I would consider going from a 32 to 28. When I went from the AW1 to the AW2, I could feel a difference (or maybe it was just in my head?)
Old 05-11-17, 09:21 PM
DayBob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to the forum. Today I bought two fx 3's, one for the wife and one for me. I haven't ridden a bike in thirty years since I let go of my Raleigh Competition GS. We took a quick ride through the neighborhood just to try them out. Sore butt, sore legs, sore wrists. It was great! Our first chance for a real ride will be this Sunday. We're are both so happy with the bikes. I'll report back on our weekend ride.
Old 05-12-17, 01:36 AM
djmcnz
Noob Rider

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DayBob
Sore butt, sore legs, sore wrists.
Butt, check.
Legs, check.
Wrists, need to correct something.

I had exactly the same experience a few months ago when I got my bike but as I learned, your wrists shouldn't hurt.

During your next ride think about your wrists and make sure you're not gripping the grips too hard as that can be a cause. If you've got a relaxed grip with comfortable control and still have sore wrists after a ride then most likely you're too weight-forward and may need to adjust the saddle. A tiny adjustment to my saddle to move my weight back eliminated any wrist pain for me. It may also help for you. There are other ways to address your weight distribution but the saddle is the place to start.
Old 05-17-17, 06:50 AM
Dcwrider

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update to weight/performance issue

Originally Posted by Dcwrider
Hello forum! Nice to be here and thank you for your expertise.
I purchased a new 19" FX 7.4 WSD in White in 2012. I've ridden the heck out of it, daily 6 mile (each way) commute to work during wam weather and many long 20+ mile rides on weekends. I added a more comfortable seat, a pannier rack, put faster road tires on it and upgraded the handlebars. But it rides hard and I often feel like, for being an experienced city/trail rider, I can't get enough power out of the bike. It's currently in the shop with a broken rear wheel spoke spoke, a rear wheel out of true and sticking brakes (second time rear wheel brakes have been sticking/wheel out of true.). I may end up having to replace the rear wheel, waiting to hear - I did a hard 38 mile ride this weekend w/o knowing the spoke was broken. The first shop I took it to said this bike was not built to be ridden as much as I do.
My main issue with the bike is the frame is heavy (to me.) as I get older, especially with my back, I feel the weight of the bike when I am lifting it onto my house rack or car rack, etc.
I have chronic lower back pain due to a minor, long-tolerated stress fracture in a lower vertebrae. so I'm wary of transitioning to a road bike - I like upright handlebars. What I want is a lighter, higher-performing version of this bike. I've looked for comparison specs - are the later model FX 7.4s lighter than my 2012 model? I can't find the weight of my current model to tell if a new FX has come in noticeably lighter.
Thank you for any knowledge and input!
Tara
Hi Forum, posting in case my story ends up being helpful. After my original post my local Trek shop put on new AW2 32 tires and got the rear wheel back to true, but within 2 days of riding the bike felt laggy again, and on the third ride was having a repeat issue of the bike being very resistant to shifting gears; it would get stuck mid-shift and then surprise me with a lurch when it did shift. It made the bike still feel very sluggish and "heavy." A girlfriend suggested maybe my chain had stretched; anyways, back to the shop. I thought the fix might be replacing the deraileurs to higher-performing models. The tech looked closely and ran the bike multiple times through the gears, noting that the shifts perform differently when a person's weight is on the bike, but even just in the stand he got it to replicate the error when shifting in the mids (not the highest or lowest of the ranges between any of the three chain rings.) He found that my deraileur hangar was bent and ordered a replacement. I also added some Ergon grips to the handlebars to provide more comfort when riding.
Bottom line, the hangar was the culprit! I went out riding that weekend and it was like I had a totally different bike. It climbed effortlessly, responded immediately. Very very happy customer, my 7.4 is performing like a lighter faster bike and I'm keeping it
Old 05-17-17, 10:39 AM
tbo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djmcnz
Butt, check.
Legs, check.
Wrists, need to correct something.

I had exactly the same experience a few months ago when I got my bike but as I learned, your wrists shouldn't hurt.

During your next ride think about your wrists and make sure you're not gripping the grips too hard as that can be a cause. If you've got a relaxed grip with comfortable control and still have sore wrists after a ride then most likely you're too weight-forward and may need to adjust the saddle. A tiny adjustment to my saddle to move my weight back eliminated any wrist pain for me. It may also help for you. There are other ways to address your weight distribution but the saddle is the place to start.
+1 on wrists shouldn't hurt. Seat adjustment is a good idea. Also, a slight adjustment to the angle of the grips might help. A first guess is that you would want to slightly raise the palm area of the grip to give your hand more support.
Old 05-17-17, 05:29 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Dcwrider
Hi Forum, posting in case my story ends up being helpful. After my original post my local Trek shop put on new AW2 32 tires and got the rear wheel back to true, but within 2 days of riding the bike felt laggy again, and on the third ride was having a repeat issue of the bike being very resistant to shifting gears; it would get stuck mid-shift and then surprise me with a lurch when it did shift. It made the bike still feel very sluggish and "heavy." A girlfriend suggested maybe my chain had stretched; anyways, back to the shop. I thought the fix might be replacing the deraileurs to higher-performing models. The tech looked closely and ran the bike multiple times through the gears, noting that the shifts perform differently when a person's weight is on the bike, but even just in the stand he got it to replicate the error when shifting in the mids (not the highest or lowest of the ranges between any of the three chain rings.) He found that my deraileur hangar was bent and ordered a replacement. I also added some Ergon grips to the handlebars to provide more comfort when riding.
Bottom line, the hangar was the culprit! I went out riding that weekend and it was like I had a totally different bike. It climbed effortlessly, responded immediately. Very very happy customer, my 7.4 is performing like a lighter faster bike and I'm keeping it

Good stuff.

It can be very dispiriting when a bike is not running well and such a glorious feeling when it then gets fixed up.
Old 05-20-17, 06:56 AM
Tommy1955
Senior Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did make the change from 700x32 AW2 tires on my FX3 to 700x28 AW2 tires. Don't really notice much difference in road vibration which is what I was worrying about the most. It seems that I can get up to speed a little faster but maybe it's all in my head.
Old 05-21-17, 11:35 AM
loreij

Bikes: Trek FX 3 WSD '17

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys. This thread has been very helpful.

I bought a new FX 3 WSD a few weeks ago. So far, I like it a bunch, but oftentimes I regret not buying a bike with front suspension.

It is a hideous looking bike. I will post pictures later.
Old 05-21-17, 02:50 PM
Jaraldo

Bikes: Ross Professional Gran Tour II, Unidentified Panasonic

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snuboy360
I just found this forum but I’ve been looking at the Trek FX 3 for a few weeks now. As of the new year I’ve been trying to lose weight and I’m now down to 332lbs. I’ve been looking for a good fitness bike to get into biking but with the weight limit of 300lbs on the Trek website I’m wondering if I’m still too heavy for this bike. Are there any heavy riders out there that are over 300lbs that are using the Trek FX series, and if so how is that gong?
I can't speak to the FX 3 but I'm at 310 lbs and just got an FX 1 yesterday which seems perfectly fine despite also having the the same 300lb limit. If the bike crumbles under my weight I'll let you know!
Old 05-22-17, 09:16 AM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Went to the park to ride the bike with my kid on a front mount child bike seat. My bike is a 2013 7.2 FX with the Thule Ridealong Mini. While I did have to bow out my knees a little, I found that the ride was doable and more fun than I thought it would be. There were some challenging uphill sections where I was on the middle chainring and biggest rear cog, but I managed to ride it out without dropping to the smallest chainring. I thought that was a personal victory for me, extra points for having a child on the bike as well. So it looks like I'll hold off on buying another bike for using the front mount child bike seat on. I'll ride with the FX some more and see how it goes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.