Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

O..yes I did! (powdercoat - Colnago)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

O..yes I did! (powdercoat - Colnago)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-17, 11:07 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevensb
OP the Colnago looks great.

General question about PC: can it be stripped from a frame and the frame then painted?

Thanks.

Brad
Yes, but I have found you need the very nasty "aircraft" paint stripper. Saran Wrap coverage helps keep the volatiles softening up the paint after you brush it on.
Old 06-29-17, 05:24 AM
KDTX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks all I will continue the thread as I build her up.

More about the powder coat - this cost $250 which included the media blast and prep work. I made sure to tell the owner I didn't want to lose the definition of the lugs and embossed lettering. I guess he tried his best. Yes chroming (with all the dipping and prep, which is a bunch) the estimates were coming in around $600. Then that would have left me with a bike that was only half done and I had a few paint estimates most average around $600. $1200 in the end was too much.

Decals were from Velocals.com. I was really impressed with the product. I used their "2 mil for a finished frame, with UV protection" decal. On their site it says shipping takes 10 days. I ordered on a Wednesday and got an email Thursday that the order was shipped. Awesome - next day shipping. They are not old school water slide decals. They are more of a really nice sticker. I applied with the soapy water method is where you get the frame and the back of the decal wet. When it is on the frame, you can move it around for perfect positioning and then squeegee the water out. The octagonal tubing was a little hard but saved those installs for last as I was perfecting technique.
Old 06-29-17, 12:53 PM

Bikes: Cinelli SC 1971, Daccordi 1985

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by KDTX
Thanks all I will continue the thread as I build her up.

More about the powder coat - this cost $250 which included the media blast and prep work. I made sure to tell the owner I didn't want to lose the definition of the lugs and embossed lettering. I guess he tried his best. Yes chroming (with all the dipping and prep, which is a bunch) the estimates were coming in around $600. Then that would have left me with a bike that was only half done and I had a few paint estimates most average around $600. $1200 in the end was too much.

Decals were from Velocals.com. I was really impressed with the product. I used their "2 mil for a finished frame, with UV protection" decal. On their site it says shipping takes 10 days. I ordered on a Wednesday and got an email Thursday that the order was shipped. Awesome - next day shipping. They are not old school water slide decals. They are more of a really nice sticker. I applied with the soapy water method is where you get the frame and the back of the decal wet. When it is on the frame, you can move it around for perfect positioning and then squeegee the water out. The octagonal tubing was a little hard but saved those installs for last as I was perfecting technique.
Thanks for the info!

But Velocals has no forwarding from velocals.com to www.velocals.com FAIL

If anyone knows them please tell them.

How does Velocals compare to Cyclomondo?
CYCLOMONDO - BICYCLE RESTORATION DECALS
Old 06-29-17, 01:18 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Looks great. I'm anxious to see the complete build!
Old 06-30-17, 05:10 PM
swin1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet looking powder coat. It is a good alternative for flat colours and going over old chrome. With Italian frames sometimes I've just had the fork re-chromed and the mainframe painted or PCed. Good way to balance restoration cost with authenticity. You can also get one of those chrome effect chain stay protectors to augment the rear end a bit. I'll post a pic of a couple I've done soon.

Last edited by swin1; 06-30-17 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-30-17, 05:14 PM
swin1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1987
Thanks for the info!

But Velocals has no forwarding from velocals.com to VeloCals bicycle decals - Quality, Durable, Ultra-thin FAIL

If anyone knows them please tell them.

How does Velocals compare to Cyclomondo?
CYCLOMONDO - BICYCLE RESTORATION DECALS
They're both very good. Just note some decals are more transfers as in very thin and others are stickers. Transfers look better on a powder coated frame where you won't be applying clear coat, hard to see sticker line.