Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

City bike lanes, yes or no? Likewise, city sidewalk riding?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-18, 08:16 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

I saw the other thread about maintenance of bike lanes and it brought a pet peeve to mind, I didn't want to hijack the other thread so figured I would start my own.

First bike lanes in cities. I guess it depends on the city but for the most part I HATE them. First a huge waste of taxpayer money. Then there is the fact the city is dedicating valuable space to bicycles on already congested streets. In Pittsburgh the bike lanes don't get used awful much. But mostly they are DANGEROUS to the cyclist, if the lane isn't properly integrated into the street.

I have been riding the Pittsburgh city streets long before bike lanes. Except for the occasional moron driver, I have never felt in danger riding in traffic. I have had far more scares riding in bike lanes. I don't know how many times I have had motorized traffic turning right in front of me then making a turn into a cross street. I think the problem is drivers are just ignoring the bike lane or just not seeing its traffic before making a turn. I just won't ride them anymore. I feel far safer riding in traffic. Staying to the right then taking the lane at intersections so I won't get run into. (at least not from the side ).

Before I ride in other cities I evaluate their bike lanes based on what I learned from my city. I try to weigh the risk and inconvenience (start and stop traffic) of riding in traffic up against the safety (or lack there of) of riding in the bike lane.

In my opinion bike lanes should be reserved for busy roads. I would much rather see share the lane signage inside cities. That is unless the bike lanes are designed to allow bicycles to bypass traffic and the street and bike lane signaling is designed in a way that prevents motor vehicles from running into cyclists when making a turn.

And then there are the Freds riding there bicycles on the sidewalks, (where there are no bike lanes) on the busiest part of the day where there are lots of pedestrians on the sidewalk. In my opinion, if you don't have the skills to ride in the street then stay out of the city! Again in the city of Pittsburgh (downtown area), I can only think of one street that I would feel uncomfortable riding. There simply is no need to be riding a bicycle on the sidewalk in the downtown area.

Your thoughts on bike lanes and sidewalk riding?
Old 03-18-18, 08:23 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
First bike lanes in cities. I guess it depends on the city but for the most part I HATE them. First a huge waste of taxpayer money. Then there is the fact the city is dedicating valuable space to bicycles on already congested streets.
You do realize that part of the purpose of bike lanes is to give commuters another option and therefore reduce congestion?

But even if that isn't the case, it's my tax money as well.
Old 03-18-18, 08:33 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I'm for bike lanes, when they're planned decently. But some of 'em, like the ones that should be marked "door zone" instead of "bike lane", are dangerous. Some of those make me wonder if they even invited any cyclists to participate in the planning process.

I don't have any complaints about bike lanes being a waste of taxpayer money. On the contrary, I'd like for more thought (and likely funding) to be given to bikes to in transit planning.

As for sidewalks... It's one thing for kids to ride on sidewalks in residential neighborhoods. That's fine in my book, to keep kids out of traffic. Their lack of awareness and short stature are a recipe for traffic accidents. But in general, nobody should be riding a bike on a crowded urban sidewalk.
Old 03-18-18, 09:26 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
I use the bike lanes when to my advantage & safety
I'll jump on an empty sidewalk to avoid congested
... unsafe spots on my routes
I use the cycling /vehicle/pedestrian rules to my advantage.
Like ... hitting the crosswalk button to speed up/effect
a light change to my advantage -
- Ride the shoulder to the front of the line at a light ...
Old 03-18-18, 09:29 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
If the city Exempts faster riders from using the bike lanes I am all for them. Until then I am against bike lanes.
Old 03-18-18, 09:46 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
If motorists don't want me riding in front of them, then riding on the side in protected bike lanes make sense. For every mile of a bike lane money is saved by the city. For every mile of car traffic lane, money is lost.

It's also nice to have more choices. They aren't there just for you. They are there for others too.
Old 03-18-18, 09:49 PM
Waltsmith

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love bike lanes. They sure as hell beat splitting lanes, unless you ride behind cars and stop and go when they do. My problem is around here, they tend to end suddenly.

And yes I ride sidewalks too. But where and when I ride, they are free from moving pylons.

As I recall, the Feds put some big incentives into federal highway funds so bike lanes cost the local government very little. That may not be the case any more.
Old 03-18-18, 10:06 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Again in the city of Pittsburgh (downtown area), I can only think of one street that I would feel uncomfortable riding. There simply is no need to be riding a bicycle on the sidewalk in the downtown area.
Riding on the sidewalk is illegal in Pittsburgh unless you are 12 years old or younger. If you don't like it then call the police.

I've seen a cop chase down a cyclists on foot for riding on the sidewalk in New York City. Pedestrians were yelling, "Go get him!"

-Tim-
Old 03-18-18, 10:36 PM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
I use every lane at my convenience that includes sidewalks and drive ways,,, been riding for years ,bicycles and motorcycles,,,, everything is just fine so far,,,,,
Old 03-19-18, 03:52 AM
Waltsmith

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well that adds another factor to the equation, I was not aware they had bike lane police! I honestly did not realize there was such a thing as a restriction on riding in the car lane if there was a bike lane. If you MUST use the bike lane and only the bike lane, then I change my vote! Just seems that would have to be a very hard to enforce law. Dosent even seem it would be legal.
Old 03-19-18, 06:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
In Philadelphia, riding on sidewalks is illegal if you are over the age of 11, and no one may ride on a sidewalk in a business district, and for good reason.

Old 03-19-18, 06:10 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Waltsmith
Well that adds another factor to the equation, I was not aware they had bike lane police! I honestly did not realize there was such a thing as a restriction on riding in the car lane if there was a bike lane. If you MUST use the bike lane and only the bike lane, then I change my vote! Just seems that would have to be a very hard to enforce law. Dosent even seem it would be legal.
It does seem silly. HOw does a cyclist make a left turn then?
Old 03-19-18, 06:55 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I saw the other thread about maintenance of bike lanes and it brought a pet peeve to mind, I didn't want to hijack the other thread so figured I would start my own.

First bike lanes in cities. I guess it depends on the city but for the most part I HATE them. First a huge waste of taxpayer money. …But mostly they are DANGEROUS to the cyclist, if the lane isn't properly integrated into the street.

I have been riding the Pittsburgh city streets long before bike lanes. Except for the occasional moron driver, I have never felt in danger riding in traffic. I have had far more scares riding in bike lanes…

Before I ride in other cities I evaluate their bike lanes based on what I learned from my city. I try to weigh the risk and inconvenience (start and stop traffic) of riding in traffic up against the safety (or lack there of) of riding in the bike lane.

In my opinion bike lanes should be reserved for busy roads

And then there are the Freds riding there bicycles on the sidewalks, (where there are no bike lanes) on the busiest part of the day where there are lots of pedestrians on the sidewalk. … There simply is no need to be riding a bicycle on the sidewalk in the downtown area.

Your thoughts on bike lanes and sidewalk riding?
Originally Posted by jimmie65
You do realize that part of the purpose of bike lanes is to give commuters another option and therefore reduce congestion?

But even if that isn't the case, it's my tax money as well.
Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
I use every lane at my convenience that includes sidewalks and drive ways… been riding for years, bicycles and motorcycles…. everything is just fine so far…..
I’m decades-long, year-round cycle commuter in Boston, lucky to have a reverse commute from downtown to a outlying suburb. In general I don’t ride sidewalks in busy commercial districts, and I use bike lanes when available. However, riding venues for me are situational, and I use my judgement. Recently I posted to a Car Free Living thread, "How To Live A Car Free Life"

In particular, see the post by @B. Carfree.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Two years ago (in 2013) we visited Toronto and when riding on Yonge St. I realized how valuable were those simply painted bike lanes we have in Boston; Toronto had none.
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Sounds great. However, we have this little problem that started in California back in '78 with prop. 13. As a result of the four decades long tax revolt it spawned, we're dealing with the ultimate priority issue: there's only so much money in the budget and it's not enough.

Some people, mostly people who are relatively new to cycling, think we should use the few dollars that can go towards improving conditions for cycling by building a few miles of separated infrastructure and place it mostly on urban roads (with the inevitable intersection failures).

Other, more experienced riders, think we would be better served by funding traffic law enforcement and putting in many more miles of proper, six to eight foot bikelanes (not in the door zone) and only putting in separate facilities where there are long stretches of high-speed road without appreciable numbers of intersections.

This difference of opinion wouldn't be such a big deal, but many of these segragationists have been making their public case by convincing everyone that cycling is too dangerous to be done anywhere except on a segregated facility.Not surprisingly, this has an impact in terms of how many people are willing to even try riding a bike since there is no way to get anywhere in the US without riding on a road.

Oddly enough, these people are called and consider themselves "bicycling advocates". If one were to design a fifth-column assault to keep cycling participation down, it would look just like the pro-separation folks.
and,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...Last week I visited the family in Macomb County, MI. IMO, that is some of the nastiest road riding I have ever encountered. The main roads, to get anywhere, are six lane concrete slabs with bumps about every 20 feet, and many cracks and potholes especially on the right, with no shoulders, and heavy, zooming traffic with little patience for (slow) cyclists.

Sidewalks along side are frequently discontinuous, and often non-existent. Even as an experienced urban commuter, I will often flee to the sidewalks, little used by pedestrians out in suburbia.

Old 03-19-18, 07:47 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I like lanes, so long as they are implemented in a continuous and logical manner. Problem is, they often aren't. I can separate poor design from the base ideology, though.

Sidewalks? Almost never, the rare exception being some particularly nasty intersections I once lived by. If you want me to ride on sidewalks, they better be 10' wide or better and smooth, not slabs of concrete, marked for two way traffic.
Old 03-19-18, 09:21 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Yes, they are here, western end of US 30.. a 4 lane highway splits into 2 one way streets as it passes thru town* center..

I use the sidewalk for a few blocks, where the 4 lane section leaves no other space..

there is a MUP, but as it also mixes with planked over trestles , of an active, though tourist, trolley, some caution must be exercised riding that.

*founded 1811..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-19-18 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-19-18, 09:37 AM
northtexasbiker

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in the burbs but work in Dallas. Dallas is being flooded by bike share bikes, and the few people that I've seen riding them have been on sidewalks even in slower traffic arears. I am guessing most people here don't realize you are supposed to ride in the streets. Not sure what the cities sidewalk laws are, but they don't appear to be strict if there are any.
Old 03-19-18, 09:37 AM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by jimmie65
It does seem silly. HOw does a cyclist make a left turn then?
Ride across the intersection. Stop. Turn the bike 90degrees counterclockwise. Ride across the intersection.
Old 03-19-18, 09:49 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I'll take Sharrows and signage any day! Bike lanes are hazardous!
Old 03-19-18, 10:04 AM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by Wanderer
I'll take Sharrows and signage any day! Bike lanes are hazardous!
Do you speak for yourself or for all would-be cyclists still in their cars?
Old 03-19-18, 10:13 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 249 Posts
in general I'm pro-bike lane, anti-sidewalk riding.
in practice I'll go whatever is safest. Like take the sidewalk on a 4 lane suburb rd that's posted 45 MPH, and go super-vigilant at the driveways... ugh.

below is an image of a bike lane on Trumbull Ave. in Detroit. I believe this really represents the worst of all worlds.
- doors opening into the bike lane.
- pedestrians stepping off the curb to cars
- can't pass slower cyclist
- blind turns at the intersections from traffic coming from 3~4 directions - and the traffic on the other side of the cars can't even see you when they are trying to ignore you!

I got severely buzzed after I got out of this bike lane after having all of the above happen to me in about a 5 minute span of time.

my two cents and not even worth half that after inflation.
ciao!
Attached Images
File Type: png
badbikelane.PNG (756.0 KB, 133 views)
Old 03-19-18, 12:59 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
We have a protected bike lane thru the center of the city here. I love it. It has its own set of lights, and let the bikes ride off first.

And remember each and every bike people seen on the bike paths, may mean one more parking place in the down town areas. Stress that fact to your friends that drive and say they dont like them.
Old 03-19-18, 01:15 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Generally I like bike lanes. I feel safer on them. It may just be an illusion. Having another cyclist crash into you or running into a pedestrian you'd likely sustain less severe injury than having a car run into you. Again, it may just be an illusion.

As for sidewalks, I live in the suburbs. No one uses sidewalks, so I have no qualms about riding on them when situation warrants it.
Old 03-19-18, 01:24 PM
BritishV8

Bikes: 1979 Bridgestone SkyWay, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 2002 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 2018 Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I live in Portland Oregon. This is a city that with lousy street maintenance and hardly any sidewalk maintenance at all, but its bike lanes are exceptional. I use them all the time, with very few complaints. I just wish there were bike lanes (or even shoulders!) on county roads to the west of our Forest Park.

I only ride on sidewalks when signage tells me to.

Sometimes bicycle lanes are painted onto existing streets as a "traffic calming" mechanism. From before-and-after observation, I know these do slow automobile traffic on residential streets. (Back in Colorado, our neighborhood association worked with our city to add them.) FWIW, I very strongly prefer them to speed bumps.
Old 03-19-18, 01:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6198 Post(s)
Liked 4,814 Times in 3,321 Posts
The problem with bike lanes is that among some motorist they are going to foster the idea that bikes only belong in bike lanes. And that fostering idea will fester into road rage to a certain percentage of those.

I'm for what ever works for your location. I do believe a lot of cyclist have an abnormal fear of cycling in regular roadways that allow motorized traffic as well as bicycle traffic. When motorized vehicle operators don't have to deal with bicyclist on a regular basis, they'll not gain experience with our needs, capabilities or unexpected oddities some of us do.

To spend all the budget on bike lanes and none on motorists education of cycling might be more a disservice. After all bike lanes can't go everywhere. And since most of the interesting places to go won't have a bike lane to them, I don't want to be limited to riding on just bike lanes.

There are plenty of times bike lanes make sense. But they won't be and are not the only cure for the problem.
Old 03-19-18, 02:23 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Below is an example of bike lanes in Cobb County, Georgia. Using this is asking to be run over.

Last edited by TimothyH; 03-19-18 at 02:41 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.