Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-18, 06:56 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Tuscany and Marths's Vineyard. Nice!

I took the PFN10 out for a quick 33.1 miles starting at 7:30 this morning to beat the heat.

Old 07-01-18, 08:41 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 891 Posts
After the heat broke with a sea breeze, I took the Rawland Nordavinden out for a quick spin up to Lexington Center and back before dinner (gazpacho, made earlier in the day and chilling in the fridge). The Lime Bikes (I'm trying hard not to call them Litter Bikes... oops!) were everywhere, mostly parked and occupying space that I'm used to seeing empty/available, e.g. bike racks.

Some WERE being ridden, however, and at one point on the Minuteman it was possible to see Lime Bikes, Blue Bikes, and Zagsters jockeying for position. I just kept the fastest pace I reasonably could given conditions, and enjoyed the responsiveness of the Rawland as I made my own wind.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 07-01-18 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-02-18, 10:06 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Made a map of where Lime Bikes are:

-mr. bill
Old 07-02-18, 10:20 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Today was a bit warm. I rode 61.5 miles on my R3. I was delighted to see that Monument st is getting some much overdue attention. Shorty after the bridge over the Concord river the road had been ground up for paving. I quickly took a left onto Liberty st to Lowell st and eventually took a meandering and quintessentially scenic side road that Jim Muller introduced me to last year. Before heading home I stopped at the water fountain at Concord ctr and contimplated briefly about what would one prefer. A warm bottle of water on a hot sunny day or a partially frozen bottle in February. I'd stick with the warm bottle on the hot day. It is so much better! Despite the dozens of smiling happy cyclists, nicely manicured lawns, blooming flowers and warm sunny goodness it was energy draining after a while which produced the same desires as in February to get the heck home.
That's a long ride in such heat. So Monument is a no go for now? I was planning on riding it with my wife on the 4th (sort of an annual tradition now, heh). Did you end up going north on Lowell Rd. to Concord St. and then looped back to Concord?
Old 07-02-18, 11:18 AM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Made a map of where Lime Bikes are:

-mr. bill
One of the conspicuous holes in the map is Lexington, which is Zagster territory, a docked system with an exclusive contract. What this got them was an isolated tourist bike capability. They have tourists, and at least some in the town like isolation, so that's that. It does fragment the Minuteman, however, not a good in se. The Zagster dock can be found on Meriam Street, near some of the tourist attractions. It should be noted that the Lexington Zagster contract was executed before MAPC brokered the federated dockless deal, and if Lexington had had things to do over again, with the knowledge of what was coming, they might have done things differently.

rod
Old 07-02-18, 03:07 PM
autonomy

Originally Posted by rholland1951
One of the conspicuous holes in the map is Lexington, which is Zagster territory, a docked system with an exclusive contract. What this got them was an isolated tourist bike capability. They have tourists, and at least some in the town like isolation, so that's that. It does fragment the Minuteman, however, not a good in se. The Zagster dock can be found on Meriam Street, near some of the tourist attractions. It should be noted that the Lexington Zagster contract was executed before MAPC brokered the federated dockless deal, and if Lexington had had things to do over again, with the knowledge of what was coming, they might have done things differently.

rod
That just makes me think of this:
Old 07-02-18, 03:23 PM
autonomy

Nice pics, everyone! I'll share some of mine (though they are sucky smartphone pics and this one has a terrible camera) as I've had the chance to venture slightly off the beaten path.

Last week I discovered that there's yet another paved MUP in Lexington. This morning I finally rode the Western Greenway which turned out to be a little more bone-rattling than I was looking for. The reviews said singletrack - don't know what I was expecting. The backstory for both rides is that I got them by browsing Strava ride histories of other riders with whom my paths crossed (that fly-by feature is actually quite useful in that way). I found Lower Vine Brook and North Street Pits on a page of a guy whom I saw on an all-road type bike on the Reformatory Branch Trail carrying full-on bikepacking gear. Not a thing I'd expect to see around here. I was looking for a quiet place off the trail to read a book and Lower Vine Brook looked pretty good. The idea to ride the Greenway was born when I ran into a gaggle of cyclists, again on all-road type bikes, actually riding the Greenway. Also, the guy I mentioned earlier rides it quite often so I knew it was well-traveled.

Lower Vine Brook is a stone's throw away from the Minuteman

Lower Vine Brook

I don't think this bike path in Lexington has a name. It's not particularly long, but sometimes it feels like you're far away in Western MA, sometimes like you're in someone's back yard.

North Street Pits Pond - no mosquitoes here, luckily

Old 07-02-18, 03:34 PM
autonomy

The Greenway was pretty cool but much more jarring than I desired. At one point when I had to get off my bike more often than desired I decided to bail but looked like I either had to backtrack or do a major detour. So I continued to the Waltham High School at which point I bailed downhill - in the wrong direction! I had to backtrack at which point I spotted a flatter trail to the Stonehurst estate and chanced it.

Great open meadow at the Beaver Brook North reservation

One of several bridges - complete with someone's trash

Favorite spot - the boardwalk & benches overlooking a swamp/meadow just west of the Avalon complex

More effort than desired... hike-a-bike time. Too much for me. The trail got narrower, rockier/rootier the further west/south I went. Also - more hungry mosquitoes!

This is more like it. This is the path across the street from the Waltham High School and takes you directly to Stonehurst Estate.

Stonehurst. Goodbye to green, quiet spaces, from here on it's traffic, hot pavement, and dust all the way to work.

Pedestrian/bike bridge in Belmont - thank god I can bypass the crazy traffic under the Leonard st bridge.

Overall, 16 miles of mostly singletrack - a little throw-back to my MTB times though much slower and more cautious these days what with the recovery and just general risk-aversion. 40mm XPlor MSO did really well. I probably wouldn't ride this again on my all-terrain/gravel bike, but if I did, I would opt for beefier, lower-psi 2-in tires.
Old 07-02-18, 03:40 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
That's a long ride in such heat. So Monument is a no go for now? I was planning on riding it with my wife on the 4th (sort of an annual tradition now, heh). Did you end up going north on Lowell Rd. to Concord St. and then looped back to Concord?
Yes, during the first loop of that ride I went up Lowell st to Carlisle, past Ferns to 225 down to Bedford and 62 (Concord Rd in Bedford) back to Concord Ctr. from there I was going to go up Monumnet st and backtrack down Monument st right back to Concord Ctr and then on home. Instead I took the left onto Liberty st and followed it to Lowell st and not long after took a few meandering side streets that eventually took meto Concord st (Carlisle) from there I took a right and headed right back to Concord Ctr and from there on home.
Old 07-02-18, 09:59 PM
rholland1951

Took the Monster Trucker (Surly Trucker DeLuxe shod with Compass Rat Trap Pass Extralights) on a sort of deja vu ride, out the Minuteman and Reformatory Branch to pick up Monument Street, Liberty Street, Estabrook Road (in its posh, paved aspect), then into Estabrook Woods on the abandoned section of Estabrook Road, a relict 18th Century road paved with roots and rocks, on into Carlisle in a little maze of hilly paved roads, followed by a very brisk descent down Church Street (recommended if you like excuses for saying wheeee!), and on to Route 225 for a determined push to Bedford Farms for some peach ice cream, the sovereign remedy for heat and bonk. After that, a leisurely pedal home on the Minuteman. All this was done before (on a different bike), in similar weather conditions, also on the 4th of July holiday week, on page 149. If you have a look at that one, ignore the comments about Lexington Toyota, the car's not in the shop this time. 36 miles all in all, but the pocket devil blew green chunks recording the track, so treat that as approximate.

The Minuteman, looking green and serene.

The Reformatory Branch, looking historic.

The critical fork that either puts you on the abandoned section of Estabrook Road, or else sends you to a very scenic and challenging purgatory. Hint: take the left path.

The True Estabrook Road (but not rocky yet, so not as True as all that).

This tree may talk to you, depending on what's on its mind.

If Mink Pond is on your right, you really are on Estabrook Road. As is often the case taking the wrong road can be more entertaining, depending on your capacity for suffering. Somewhere on this thread, there's a report on that, too (see page 122).

Rocks. Pick a line, then bounce or walk, as it suits you. There will be more.

Eventually, the rocks peter out (so to speak).

Bedford Farms would like you to know that the peach ice cream is in season; get it while you can.

And here it is!

Conditions on both the Reformatory Branch and Estabrook Road were quite dry. On Reformatory Branch, that has created some deep pools of dust (sand?) that can cause wipe-outs for unwary riders. Estabrook Road showed signs of water damage, with one transverse washout and a short section that looks like one of the double-track portions had water running in it for a while, leaving a depressed track with an alluvial surface. I wonder who, if anyone, performs maintenance on this abandoned road? The Department of Oxymoronic Works, perhaps? It appears to be privately owned...

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 07-02-18 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-03-18, 07:39 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Conditions on both the Reformatory Branch and Estabrook Road were quite dry. On Reformatory Branch, that has created some deep pools of dust (sand?) that can cause wipe-outs for unwary riders
I know there's a spot like that along the treeline at the farm field, near the school
Old 07-03-18, 08:25 AM
mr_bill

So, tried a Lime Bike yesterday.
Overall review:

Trivial to checkout a bike with the app.

They are small comfort bikes. (Not as small as the Seoul bikes and Taipei bikes though.) I'm 6', and at the max seatpost extension I was still sitting a little low.

Twisty bell on the left hand grip, Shimano roller brakes, and three speed Shimano shift on the right.
Like most share bikes, way under geared, so even a moderate downgrade on Mass Ave in Arlington Center will run out of spinning at a relatively slow speed.

While I didn't try any of the hills (wasn't going that way), I suspect that climbing Park Ave to the water tower will be just doable. The roads to Gray Street (Robbins thru Highland) will be very tough, Cliff Street (aptly named) out of the question. Most of the Mount Gilboa, Turkey Hill and Symmes climbs too.

There is a phone mount (didn't try) on the handlebars, big enough to mount even the biggest smartphones.

Parking and ending your ride is also trivial. Well done beeps and lights on the bike itself to give you confidence that you've ended the ride.

Odd is the deflopilator spring installed between the fork and the down tube. It's got a plastic cover that partially covers the spring, which results in a disconcerting "sproing" sound from time to time.

If you want to try, the promo code LIMELAUNCH gives you a $5.00 credit. One of you can use my referral code RFDPHHO for an additional $3.00 credit. (Disclaimer, I'll get a $3.00 credit too. Just let me know you've used it so I'll edit this post to note that the code has been used.)

Bottom line, if I'm running late to get to Arlington Center, instead of walking too fast or arriving late I'll probably hop on so the "(Limebike) gets me to the church on time."

-mr. bill
Old 07-03-18, 10:08 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
It would be worth a long ride like that for peach ice cream. Must see if Crescent Ridge has it.
Old 07-03-18, 01:21 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

I got back on the saddle this morning for my 25 mile route with my Roubaix before work. I had every intention and ambitions to ride yesterday morning as well. My body said otherwise.
Old 07-03-18, 02:25 PM
autonomy

Took the Monster Trucker (Surly Trucker DeLuxe shod with Compass Rat Trap Pass Extralights) on a sort of deja vu ride
Rocks. Pick a line, then bounce or walk, as it suits you. There will be more.

rod
That's a fun off-the-beaten path ride. I remember going through Estabrook woods on 28mm tires. I survived so it's a doable though questionable affair; your tire choice was much wiser. Gotta try some of that peach ice cream these days.
Old 07-03-18, 02:28 PM
autonomy

So, tried a Lime Bike yesterday.
While I didn't try any of the hills (wasn't going that way), I suspect that climbing Park Ave to the water tower will be just doable. The roads to Gray Street (Robbins thru Highland) will be very tough, Cliff Street (aptly named) out of the question. Most of the Mount Gilboa, Turkey Hill and Symmes climbs too.
Ohhh, challenge accepted...
Nice review!
Old 07-04-18, 11:45 AM
Ghazmh

Today was downright hot. No way to sugarcoat it. I got out at 0700 for 50 miles on my R3 with 2 lengthy stops sitting under the shade of a tree at Concord Ctr just a few steps away from the fountain. I happily looped through there twice in order to refil the water bottle twice. It seems as if my R3 is performing like it did a year ago before being stricken with one issue after another. I hope the trend continues. As grateful as I was to get home when I did I realized that whenever I'm on the saddle I am home.

Last edited by Ghazmh; 07-05-18 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-04-18, 01:01 PM
rholland1951

At mid-morning, took the Ebisu out and headed vaguely West. Mass. Ave. was relatively empty, but I joined the throngs on the Minuteman in consideration of the leafy shade there; seemed like a good day to keep out of the sun. Vague routes flickered in front of my third eye, but none for very long, and soon enough I realized I was tired, and decided to turn around at Depot Park.

At the turn-around point, I noticed my rear tire was rubbing the frame, and soon discovered that the rear wheel was badly out of true. I didn't have a spoke wrench, and the holiday meant that the normally-available bike shop was closed, so I gingerly rode home, doing what I could to avoid insulting the compromised wheel. 10 miles later, I hadn't killed it, and it hadn't killed me, which seemed like an equitable arrangement. It gets a turn in the truing stand before being ridden again.

rod
Old 07-04-18, 01:02 PM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
... As grateful as I was to get home when I did I realized that whenever I'm on the saddle I am home.
Amen, brother!
Old 07-04-18, 03:12 PM
rholland1951

For those missing it, Winter will be back in six months. In the meantime, you can find it in Argentina, where it's fighting extradition.

rod
Old 07-04-18, 04:48 PM
mr_bill

For those missing it, Winter will be back in six months. In the meantime, you can find it in Argentina, where it's fighting extradition.

rod
Looks like we were a couple of hundred meters apart. (I was on foot.)

Another of the mutliple users. (I don’t know why crossing at Swan Street on roller cross-country skies looks so, odd....)

-mr. bill
Old 07-04-18, 09:16 PM
rholland1951

Looks like we were a couple of hundred meters apart. (I was on foot.)

Another of the mutliple users. (I don’t know why crossing at Swan Street on roller cross-country skies looks so, odd....)

-mr. bill
Rank by oddness:

A) Crossing at Swan Street on roller cross-country skis;

B) Crossing at Water Street Street on an ElliptiGO;

C) Crossing at Mill Street on a StreetStrider;

D) Crossing at Bow Street on a Halfbike;

E) Crossing at Fottler Ave. on a Tallbike;

F) Crossing at Woburn Street with a llama;

G) Crossing at Fletcher Ave. with a herd of goats.

rod
Old 07-04-18, 09:28 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Took the bikes down to Falmouth to ride the Shining Sea bike path again. Stopped at the midway point for a Hawaiian shaved ice. Nothing could have been better in the heat. Arrived in Woods Hole completely drenched in sweat. The return trip was easier. It usually is. 22 miles total in the brutal heat. But was probably cooler than the city.
Old 07-05-18, 08:07 AM
autonomy

Rank by oddness:

A) Crossing at Swan Street on roller cross-country skis;

B) Crossing at Water Street Street on an ElliptiGO;

C) Crossing at Mill Street on a StreetStrider;

D) Crossing at Bow Street on a Halfbike;

E) Crossing at Fottler Ave. on a Tallbike;

F) Crossing at Woburn Street with a llama;

G) Crossing at Fletcher Ave. with a herd of goats.

rod
Where does "crossing the Minuteman if you're a chicken" fit in?

Old 07-05-18, 08:12 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
was having a nice ride on the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail heading from Acton toward Lowell until our ride came to a crashing halt (5 miles from the car) at Pond St, Chelmsford when Wifey struck a stanchion hiding in the shade & broke her wrist (crack in the radius bone). she was distracted by the lovely beach we just passed. I think her dark sunglasses in the bright sunlight & the object being in the shade contributed to the collision. we had been dodging them the whole ride. we were also dodging raised brick lane dividers. one of which she rode into / over earlier in the ride. she was so shaken up, that we stopped so she could regain her composure. then a few miles later, this ;-(

a town employee came over. as did another good samaritan, a woman with a car. the town employee said there has been MANY SERIOUS CRASHES into this particular stanchion. then he made a face indicating they were even more disasterious than this one. one can only imagine ...

I was ahead of her & when I heard her anticipatory yelling I turned to see her crash & go down. I stopped & ran to her aid. she didn't want to get up right away & was considering what was hurt. after some amateur trail side triage & after conferencing for a few minutes in the hot sun with the two people who offered help, we decided to let the woman with the car, drive Wifey to Emerson hospital. Wifey said she should get an x-ray & definitely could not ride back to the car. the gentleman watched her bike while I rode back to our car, then returned to get hers, before joining her at the emergency room. boy that Emerson is a well oiled machine! (plus it was slow yesterday, go figure) by time I got to the ER she was walking out with her temp soft cast

before the crash, while we were enjoying our ride she was talking about how she could work a partial bike commute into her daily work schedule. well that's not going to happen. & her first ride of the summer was her last. I doubt if in mid-August she will want to ride again, even tho she loves it so much. too far into the future to consider right now. she did enjoy the new insulated water bottle holder *sigh*

Pond St & Bruce Freeman Rail Trail

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-05-18 at 09:18 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.