Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Mirada Single Speed Project

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-19, 08:24 PM
dickbandit 

Bikes: 1980 Peugeot PFN-10, 1989 Bridgestone MB-3, 1988 Univega Alpina Uno, 1974 Velosolex Saint Tropez, 1995 Trek 830, 1986 Lotus Odyssey, 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1987 Raleigh Elkhorn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 32 Posts

So I think I've committed to my winter project for this year: building a mid 80s Schwinn Mirada into a single speed klunker/cruiser. Picked up this PINK frame from CL the other day and mentioned to the seller that I was going to be building it as a single speed. He texted me later in the day and offered to sell me a rear wheel with a Surly flip/flop hub and a Rhyno lite rim. The fact that it was 48 spokes kind of freaked me out, but it was a good deal so I said yes. Today he let me know that he had a front hub and rim to match, so I grabbed those as well and will be building a front wheel.

The rear wheel he sold me has an unused 20 tooth freewheel. I'm thinking about doing a 36 tooth chainring up front. Will 36/20 be too low for an around town cruiser that will sometimes see hard pack and gravel? Or is that a decent gearing for a big heavy bike? I figure that if it doesn't feel right I could always go down to 18t and have a 2:1 ratio. If anyone has any advice/experience on this front it would be a huge help.

Some photos:

Old 11-18-19, 08:44 PM
belacqua

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by dickbandit
So I think I've committed to my winter project for this year: building a mid 80s Schwinn Mirada into a single speed klunker/cruiser. Picked up this PINK frame from CL the other day and mentioned to the seller that I was going to be building it as a single speed. He texted me later in the day and offered to sell me a rear wheel with a Surly flip/flop hub and a Rhyno lite rim. The fact that it was 48 spokes kind of freaked me out, but it was a good deal so I said yes. Today he let me know that he had a front hub and rim to match, so I grabbed those as well and will be building a front wheel.

The rear wheel he sold me has an unused 20 tooth freewheel. I'm thinking about doing a 36 tooth chainring up front. Will 36/20 be too low for an around town cruiser that will sometimes see hard pack and gravel? Or is that a decent gearing for a big heavy bike? I figure that if it doesn't feel right I could always go down to 18t and have a 2:1 ratio. If anyone has any advice/experience on this front it would be a huge help.

Some photos:

Somebody's got good taste in poetry.

I ran 32x20t on my 26" fixed gear mtb, good for trails but found it too low for pavement. I bet 36x20 works.
Old 11-18-19, 08:53 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
36/20 will give you around 47 gear inches with a typical 26" MTB tire. My personal sweet spot for all-around city riding is about 60 gear inches. That gives me enough power for moderate hills, yet I don't spin out too often on level ground. For you to achieve 60 gear inches you would need a 16T in back with your 36T up front, or you could use a 46T up front with that 20T cog in back.
Old 01-24-20, 03:27 PM
dickbandit 

Bikes: 1980 Peugeot PFN-10, 1989 Bridgestone MB-3, 1988 Univega Alpina Uno, 1974 Velosolex Saint Tropez, 1995 Trek 830, 1986 Lotus Odyssey, 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1987 Raleigh Elkhorn

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 32 Posts
Here are a few pictures of the finished product. Sorry for the lack of close-ups. I ended up going with a 38 tooth Salsa chainring up front and a 16 tooth freewheel in the rear for around 64 gear inches. Handlebars are Klunkers from Velo-Orange and they are a blast. Most of the parts were sourced second-hand. Overall, I am very satisfied with this build. Not a period-correct restoration, but I think it retains the spirit of early Klunker/MTBs which is what I was going for.

Likes For dickbandit:
Old 01-25-20, 09:20 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Super-simple and clean, and love the color. Enjoy!